TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SeaWorld Orlando (SWO) Discussion Thread

P. 276: Penguin Trek construction update!

Thanks Robb for the video and to those who have ridden for the reviews. I've watched this go up, and plan to ride it at a passholder thingy one of the mornings they offer it (I don't have the e-mail invitation handy to find out exactly when.)

I know that from Robb's review, that it rides like a B&M Hyper, which to me is a good thing. I've always had a great time riding Goliath, Nitro, Apollo's, Behemoth, Etc... They are, in general, fun which is overall what I like from a coaster. I'm at this point in my life where my top whatever lists really aren't important. I've traveled a lot with TPR over the years and ridden enough coasters to know what I like. Generally, my "favorites" seem to be the ones that feel like they are trying to kill me , aka... Toro Night Rides, Skyrush, i305, Voyage, Outlaw Run, and the sort. That doesn't mean that I don't love me a good B&M though as I find them super-re-ride-able.

David

P.S. - I'm not a fan of trims either, but I really don't think they've ever "ruined" a ride for me - my opinion though.

"World Class" is determined by how much it rattles times the percentage of the ride that was manufactured by Intamin or RMC divided by how many trims it has.

One of your greatest.

FuturamaApplause.gif.71f7e404ff9ab562c003647dbb33627c.gif

This is the most "coaster enthusiast-y" thing that's ever been bitched about in the history of coaster enthusiasm.

"World Class" is determined by how much it rattles times the percentage of the ride that was manufactured by Intamin or RMC divided by how many trims it has.

God, I don't know what we would do without you, Bill. Please don't ever leave.

Don't worry. I'm like the Mean Streak of TPR. Even though my very existence probably annoys the hell out of tons of coaster enthusiasts, I'm never going anywhere... ever... not ever. Some of you may want me to but it'll never happen.

:lmao:

Don't worry. I'm like the Mean Streak of TPR. Even though my very existence probably annoys the hell out of tons of coaster enthusiasts, I'm never going anywhere... ever... not ever. Some of you may want me to but it'll never happen.

We tolerate you as you are, but we all secretly want you to get a facelift and a new outfit. Then we'll all love you!

Are you telling me that you're only good if we sit on your front and lean forward?.. I'm sure there's a few people here who swing that way.

I too rode Mako on Sunday.

It's exactly like the other 7 B&M hyper coasters I've done, though the first few hills before the trim have pretty powerful floater air.

All the turns after the mcbr really drag, though their location is really nice and has great views.

It's definitely probably the best pure coaster in Orlando though and I can't wait to ride this 40 times in a row at night sometime this fall.

I like Nitro the most of those I've ridden based on the nice views and length, followed by Goliath SFOG, then probably Mako in 3rd. If it didn't have the really obvious trim it would definitely be better though.

Are you telling me that you're only good if we sit on your front and lean forward?.. I'm sure there's a few people here who swing that way.

bruh....

Edited by prozach626

I wanted to give him a Nina icon but I felt like he was trying too hard with that one. Leave it to the professionals.

I was mostly trying to make fun of the way you somehow bring Mean Streak into ANY post. I swear that at least 50% of your posts are either about how Mean Streak isn't that bad or Von Roll type 101 sky rides.

I know my joke was a bit of a stretch, but I was an opportunity and I went for it!

I wanted to give him a Nina icon but I felt like he was trying too hard with that one. Leave it to the professionals.

I was mostly trying to make fun of the way you somehow bring Mean Streak into ANY post. I swear that at least 50% of your posts are either about how Mean Streak isn't that bad or Von Roll type 101 sky rides.

I know my joke was a bit of a stretch, but I was an opportunity and I went for it!

My main takeaway from this is that someone used the term "type 101". I don't even dork out that much but I'm impressed...

It's definitely probably the best pure coaster in Orlando though and I can't wait to ride this 40 times in a row at night sometime this fall.

It'll have to really, really impress me, just to be the best coaster at Sea World, in my opinion! (But then, I'm a leading member of the "Kraken is Life" fan club!)

It won't be until next year, but I am definitely looking forward to getting down there and riding Mako! I enjoy all B&M Hypers, and love the two previous SWO coasters, so I expect it'll be great!

I feel the same way but with Manta. I think Manta is the best coaster in Orlando by a mile. If Mako tops that I'll be shocked.

I love Manta too! It's in my Top 20 overall, and I gave it "Most Underrated Coaster" in my sig! Definitely an awesome coaster, and a Flyer done right!

I feel the same way but with Manta. I think Manta is the best coaster in Orlando by a mile. If Mako tops that I'll be shocked.

It doesn't. The pretzel loop on Manta is still the most intense coaster moment of anything we've got here. And that one crazy moment of airtime you get in the back seat of Mummy is better than any of the airtime on Mako, IMO.

It looks like a lot of fun. My only B&M hypers are Nitro and Goliath (SFOG) and I love both of them. Not super intense, just super fun rides, and extremely re-rideable.

When I first rode Mako the Airtime was pretty decent, right before the MCBR you could feel a bit of an ejector time. it was a top 20 ride IMO, but during soft opening I noticed that the trims were put on much harder which slowed the ride down considerably. Kinda Sad because the airtime that it had was lost. Not to mention that after the MCBR it is kinda slow. I like the ride a lot and it is a great addition to SWO as it rounds out a great collection of coasters, but as a coaster enthusiasts , I'm a little upset that the trims slow the ride down a little too much.

I just don't get why B&M is so stuck on over-engineering their rides to the point where you can ride any of their hyper coasters and they all have those same mundane floater airtime hills with the trim halfway through, which basically makes them all feel the same. How is the same coaster every time supposed to attract new visitors? Then you have RMC just going batshit crazy with the elements they have, and people love them. I'm not saying B&M has to be like a RMC, but if Robb who knows rides better than anyone is saying there is less airtime on Mako than Mummy, I mean, come on. You're freaking 200 feet in the air B&M, give the riders SOMETHING to remember!

My recent heartbroken feeling about B&M really solidified riding Gate Keeper at Cedar Point a couple weeks ago. Yeah the ride *looks* crazy, but when you're riding, you don't feel any of the forces at all. It's almost like you strap in for simulator POV ride, where the screen is showing the ride cycle right in front of you, and the seat is bouncing around a little bit. Yes it is very cool to ride the coaster firsthand, but for the most part, it didn't provide any kind of forces or unique elements that stood out. I felt like watching the POV was pretty much equivalent to actually riding it.

Last, I get it if you're Sea World Orlando. You want a capacity killer. You want a visually appealing ride with stats to show off. Great. If that's what the park was looking for, well, you're definitely going to get that in a B&M because the general public doesn't know the difference. I guess all I'm saying is that this ride is not going to get me out to Sea World Orlando. And I also wonder how many more coasters B&M can install like this until they actually have to "up the ante" and start getting into rides that provide airtime and unique elements that really make them stand out.

Something to consider regarding your comparison of B&M to RMC... Parks build their coasters with GP in mind, not coaster enthusiasts, or intensity snobs (hey, a new term!). As much as I personally love a coaster like Storm Chaser, or The Voyage (not an RMC, but a very intense coaster), a ride of that intensity is not going to be as popular, particularly for repeated riding, as a smooth, if unimaginative B&M. Heck, one of my recent trips to Cedar Point with some co-workers, they ended up bailing on me in line for Maverick, for multiple reasons, but one of which was its intensity being more than they were willing to take at that point in the day (it was towards the end of the day.) For a thrill park like Six Flags, or even hopefully Cedar Point, an RMC is a nice addition to their lineup of coaster experiences! For a park like Sea World, however, where the coasters are secondary to the main attraction of the animals, reliability, smoothness, and an easy to digest re-ride for the GP is what they're going to go for, and their repeated choice to go with B&M is evidence of that!

Something to consider regarding your comparison of B&M to RMC... Parks build their coasters with GP in mind, not coaster enthusiasts, or intensity snobs (hey, a new term!). As much as I personally love a coaster like Storm Chaser, or The Voyage (not an RMC, but a very intense coaster), a ride of that intensity is not going to be as popular, particularly for repeated riding, as a smooth, if unimaginative B&M. Heck, one of my recent trips to Cedar Point with some co-workers, they ended up bailing on me in line for Maverick, for multiple reasons, but one of which was its intensity being more than they were willing to take at that point in the day (it was towards the end of the day.) For a thrill park like Six Flags, or even hopefully Cedar Point, an RMC is a nice addition to their lineup of coaster experiences! For a park like Sea World, however, where the coasters are secondary to the main attraction of the animals, reliability, smoothness, and an easy to digest re-ride for the GP is what they're going to go for, and their repeated choice to go with B&M is evidence of that!

Now this makes a lot of sense - good comments and totally agree. Well Said.

I went to the passholder preview last night for Mako.

The good: the ride is fun, some good airtime the 1st half, nice comfortable trains. Ride it at night for some amazing dark thrills.

The bad: the trim brake halfway through. Not needed.

The WTF: ride ops. Seriously. Every train had at least 3-4 empty seats, and some were running with 10+ empty seats. Absolutely no excuse for this.

Solution: add a single rider line to fill in the empty seats, AND fill every seat in every row. People kept asking for the front and back rows, and the ride op kept saying no. Yet the queue is designed with extra swichbacks for those rows, so let the people wait!

Also fill the station as well. They would only allow enough people for one train. And since they were so SLOW loading and dispatching trains, another one would pull into an empty station. And they seemed to be in no hurry to fill the empty seats even with a 45 minute wait.

IMG_6874.thumb.JPG.3fde8fb646f7cf1b2bc78b20bf78a6cc.JPG

IMG_6876.thumb.JPG.3db290c0fc5478e9946bd4e97e1fe19b.JPG

Slow.............17 dispatches every hour equals 408 riders. That's a whopping 816 per hour capacity with two trains.

IMG_6877.thumb.JPG.530235b3feb88d9f5acca355b2598509.JPG

Backed up trains

IMG_6879.thumb.JPG.238a3c52ea359c701132c5005772eca6.JPG

IMG_6880.thumb.JPG.89a0e7c882a71b3322d10ce5bc0e95d9.JPG

Guy Harvey

IMG_6881.thumb.JPG.57d354bee2cc98fae0d23b6ab7fea92a.JPG

IMG_6883.thumb.JPG.eadc449ec926909a8c7946fd9bf76193.JPG

Count the empty seats

IMG_6887.thumb.JPG.c68d29e056e06b6e28d5ad54c40fd6b2.JPG

Logo

IMG_6890.thumb.JPG.2ab1ba3ec7b689bca051588af6267041.JPG