TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Whole new opportunity for Great America-a nice new garden. Those flags aren't ride markers they are garden markers. Ride markers are stakes w/colored paint on the top of them. I think by now we would have already seen ride markers somewhere but no sign anywhere or no sign of construction except for the nice new garden.

What makes you so sure?

I'm pretty sure construction markers are universal, colored flags and color marked wooden stakes can both mean the same thing: a utility. It wouldn't make sense to remove a ride to replace it with a garden, even for CF.

CF has openly said that they are trying to sell the park to the team (or owners of the team). The speculation would then be that the park would be shut down and the land used for other purposes by the team. The team couldn't care less what the park has left in it when they buy because they have no intent for using it for that purpose. CF gets the rides it wants to/are economical to move, thus lowering the asking price for the park. The team pays less for whats left of the park - both sides (in theory) win.

Yup, I was on the train you shook! That was quite funny, though their screaming was quite loud during the ride. I rode it 3 times back to back, my final ride was on the vibrating train.

Messing with some photoshop...I can dream, can't I? Perhaps simplify my wishes. At this point, I'd be happy with this, and maybe a Windseeker together...

cgazacspin.jpg

Now we're talkin..

Nice photos!

I must agree, Tiki Twirl is a better fit. I don't know why, but licensed ride names just seem awkward, especially if the whole theme isn't really there (meaning, not using the whole survivor challenge to determine the ride's outcome). I also loved the new restraints on Flight Deck, and the fact it's not all worn off and got everybody's sweat soaked into it yet (ok maybe not that extreme). The new seats and restraints on Drop Tower were also nice to sit in.

About the Invertigo site, the more I think about it, the more I have this sick feeling it's going to be "Inverti-Gardens." We've got a planter box going on out in the middle, and curb/retaining wall around the grass. Why they would they bother to do all of this before putting in a new ride is beyond me as it will all be shredded once again in just short time. Shouldn't landscaping be one of the last things we should see on a site where a ride should be constructed? If the torn up dirt and construction's such an eye sore, then why not just put 8-foot wood panels up in that area to block the view, perhaps put some promo art on it for the new attraction. As of right now, Invertigo's site is following the same direction as Triple Play's, complete with a planter spot in the middle of the site.

Thanks!

This whole "Invertigo Memorial Garden" thing is starting to worry me. I'm hoping that it is a temporary beautification project for the summer crowds...let's face it, that dirt patch is an eyesore. I could be wrong, but I don't think the markers extend throughout the whole lot, could be leaving room for something (Windseeker?).

I found a potentially interesting quote from the L.A. Times today, in their article "Top 12 for 2012: Most anticipated new rides and attractions at U.S. theme parks"

Dorney Park receives the Invertigo coaster relocated from California's Great America, which is already touting an as yet unannounced replacement attraction. The Pennsylvania park may change the name of the 1998 inverted coaster once an official announcement is made.

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/themeparks/la-trb-2012-theme-parks-03201118,0,456412.story

I wonder if they are just going off of the "new opportunity" quote from CGA's website, or if they know more than we do. The L.A. Times did reveal the new shows before the park did, so I'm assuming they have some reliable sources.

Interesting find. I have seen lots of 'insider info' from LA Times in the past, including stuff in regards to the GCI woodie which failed. Who knows at this point...they either have some source or are just reading CGA's page since the main focus was about our kindly jacked Invertigo ride.

Perhaps the Invertigo Memorial Flower Garden is being gussied up so when they put the auctioneer's stand and bidding area up, you'll be in a pretty place. Or mabye it's the newest attraction that Cedar Fair is trying out:

NEW IN 2012: FLOWER GARDEN: THE RIDE!

"Come see flowers in their natural state. Stand amongst things that are blooming. Ride: FLOWER GARDEN: THE RIDE!"

And in 2013: TRASHCAN: THE RIDE!

"View CGA's newest attraction: A large plot of ground with TRASHCANS in it! See how many CGA can squeeze-in to a small plot of ground."

And in 2014: "FORMER THEME PARK LAND: THE RIDE!"

"VIEW the empty spaces that once held a theme park. BEHOLD the empty queue lines, the loss of tax revenue and employment. SEE how a city government can ruin a perfectly decent place. WATCH what happens to the former rides!"

I'm betting this landscaping is just an inexpensive fix just for this season. After all its better to have a nice landcaped spot than just an eyesore of a dirt patch, its cheap and temporary and looks good for the time being. Then when they are ready to put in the new ride, the landscaping can be easily removed. It totally makes sense and a Zacspin would fit perfectly there.

Before on Rip Roaring Rapids you barely got a splash. You really get wet now? Too bad they can't turn it into Popey & Bluto Rat Burges-you absolutely get drenched! That's what you call a rapids ride! Vortex is actually ok if you sit in front? Glad to hear both trains are running this year. Does the Grizzly really fly by like they said?

I've always gotten wet on RRR but with what they've added onto it this season, if none of the geysers, rapids, or splashes get you, this certainly will drench you, a 100% guarantee. At the end just before the lift up to the station, there's this trough overhead that in the past had a small waterfall that was too far to the side to really do anything. Somehow, they've managed to get the water to fan outward and spread across the entire channel as the boat slowly passes through it. I personally have not ridden it yet this season due to this feature but my cousin came off entirely soaked. I was actually going to ride until I got just before the stairs that go up and over, and saw the 'pouring rain' soaking the entire boat...so I 'wussed' out. When I went up the exit path to go to the first set of geysers, I had people warning me saying "You really don't want to ride this, you'll get soaked!" Sure, it's a cheap shot at getting you wet but will work out excellent on those warm summer weekends.

Vortex, I rode the very front, and the second row. I'm not sure if I rode both trains or not as they look identical. Next time, I'll look for something that I can tell them apart such as vandalism that's been done on it. My rides on Vortex were actually quite enjoyable, no smashing ears into the restraints. It's still snappy but it felt much better to me this season. As I told my cousin, ride it now while it's fresh because once peak season starts, it could start to change and become rough over time.

About Grizzly, I'm not sure how much faster it is now. Perhaps, I can videotape a train cycling and compare it with the runtime of a previously shot video of Grizzly. The bottom of the first drop feels great now though. There's no bracing yourself at that banked bottom. I was getting ready to brace myself until after zipping through...I was like "Wow, that was smooth!" followed by a distraction of seeing Invertigo's grave site for the first time in person. Again, ride this while it's fresh out of the oven, some floater air in the back seat after the 10-minute (now 5-minute?) turnaround.

Before on Rip Roaring Rapids you barely got a splash. You really get wet now? Too bad they can't turn it into Popey & Bluto Rat Burges-you absolutely get drenched! That's what you call a rapids ride! Vortex is actually ok if you sit in front? Glad to hear both trains are running this year. Does the Grizzly really fly by like they said?

As far as I remember, I dont see a difference

About RRR I remember during the Paramount day they use to have that trough shoot water all the way across the channel like that have it now and you would end up getting soaked no matter what. Then one year before the Cedar Fair takeover it went back and was just up next to the cement barrier where it wouldn't even touch you.

The easy way to see what train you are riding on vortex is look towards the bottom facing the air gates you will see two numbers for example. If you go on train one and sit in the front you will see 11 which means train one row 1 and if you sit in the front on train 2 you will see 21 which means train 2 row one. It is also that same for Flight Deck but those two are easy to tell apart.

I know I rode RRR in the 1990's. Does anyone remember getting soaked to the skin then? & What about Whitewater Falls? Is there a particular seat where you get absolutely drenched? I went on it last year & didn't get that wet. & That was so funny I thought that Great America had Hannah Barbara playing in the Action FX theater a few years ago. I saw it at Universal Orlando in 1992 & again in 2002. & When It was at Great America. I also liked that Temple movie(forgot the name). Too bad those can't still keep playing. I wonder if oneday Back To The Future will end up at Great America since Hannah Barbara did. That would be awesome. Back To The Future & the Temple movie OMG what a great pair & would draw huge crowds to the Action FX theater. & Too bad we can't get an indoor Flight Of Fear. Oh if only I could controll what CF puts in Great America I would make Great America awesome again. Well that's good about Vortex-no ear smashing. But I do like however that squeak Vortex always makes as the train is rounding the corner to the lift hill. I won't be going until the summer when Boomerang Bay is open & only once since yet another coaster is gone. I sure hope it won't be a Windseeker or Zac Spin. I can't go on any of those. I'd like to see a Flight Of Fear, Back Lot Stunt Coaster, or Maverick. I'm sure they won't make the announcement on what it is until at least January. But please keep a look out for coaster track! If it were a coaster for next year wouldn't we have already seen the track pieces by now?

I know I rode RRR in the 1990's. Does anyone remember getting soaked to the skin then? & What about Whitewater Falls? Is there a particular seat where you get absolutely drenched? I went on it last year & didn't get that wet.

RRR's felt the same from what I remember...I've gotten pretty soaked (how wet can one get anyway?) last year and the past few years. White Water Falls does do a light mist if the boats are nearly empty. I have noticed that when the boats are full, that's when the ride is going full force with soaking, including the infamous soaking bridge. Last summer, I've seen more full boats than empty ones, which is probably a good thing.

I rode RRR back in the day, when that trough went all the way across with water. If it's anything like it was before then you will get soaked!

I've noticed that squeak too on Vortex and I believe it's the train slipping a little on the drive tires at the bottom of the lift as they grab it, always done that as far as I can remember. Sometimes or if the tires in the station are worn a little, when the train it brought in and they slow it down you can hear that 'squeal' as well, sounds kind of cool.

I know I rode RRR in the 1990's. Does anyone remember getting soaked to the skin then? & What about Whitewater Falls? Is there a particular seat where you get absolutely drenched? I went on it last year & didn't get that wet. & That was so funny I thought that Great America had Hannah Barbara playing in the Action FX theater a few years ago. I saw it at Universal Orlando in 1992 & again in 2002. & When It was at Great America. I also liked that Temple movie(forgot the name). Too bad those can't still keep playing. I wonder if oneday Back To The Future will end up at Great America since Hannah Barbara did. That would be awesome. Back To The Future & the Temple movie OMG what a great pair & would draw huge crowds to the Action FX theater. & Too bad we can't get an indoor Flight Of Fear. Oh if only I could controll what CF puts in Great America I would make Great America awesome again. Well that's good about Vortex-no ear smashing. But I do like however that squeak Vortex always makes as the train is rounding the corner to the lift hill. I won't be going until the summer when Boomerang Bay is open & only once since yet another coaster is gone. I sure hope it won't be a Windseeker or Zac Spin. I can't go on any of those. I'd like to see a Flight Of Fear, Back Lot Stunt Coaster, or Maverick. I'm sure they won't make the announcement on what it is until at least January. But please keep a look out for coaster track! If it were a coaster for next year wouldn't we have already seen the track pieces by now?

I dont think a back to the future ride world go there. Also, its only the start of the season, if coaster was coming next year, track pieces would be coming around summer or fall