TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

One reason I'm having doubts for Great America is that Cedar Fair wouldn't even spend the little amount of money to give them a Starlight Spectacular this year. NOTHING at all for the park this year? Especially after removing Invertigo, which was an ALRIGHT coaster at most, but at CGA it was one of their best ones... Just some shows? C'mon! I can't remember the last time any other former Paramount park got absolutely nothing.

Though not the biggest due to the size of the park, we do happen to have a completely awesome (and improving) Haunt. Where Starlight Spectacular (Summer Xmas Lights?) would even happen, I don't know. as others have said, the kids areas really don't have room as it's kind of crammed with rides. Maybe this year, we'll see a new Haunt maze or 2 to make up for our loss. Hopefully next year, we'll see a nice turnaround. Again, we'll see what happens.

Atleast the park looks nice and clean, good landscaping and so on...and the minor improvement to the Rapids which I still need to experience (on a warmer day).

Some images I took of the Invertigarden today, since I was curious as to what it looked like, hopefully something more will happen with the site than this, my first thought when I saw it is that it has to be temporary.It doesn't look like something that much effort was made to put in and was kept for the most part simple

....... my first thought when I saw it is that it has to be temporary.It doesn't look like something that much effort was made to put in and was kept for the most part simple

Exactly. Why would they do something expensive, elaborate, and permanent if it was going to get taken out (soon hopefully) anyway?

Some images I took of the Invertigarden today, since I was curious as to what it looked like, hopefully something more will happen with the site than this, my first thought when I saw it is that it has to be temporary.It doesn't look like something that much effort was made to put in and was kept for the most part simple

I think there is more benches there then there are trash cans in the entire park lol.

Even if they didn't take out the grass for a new coaster/ride, I'd much rather have grass under a ride than asphalt. It would keep the area cooler. Whatever they put in, it would be nice if the cue line had a roof to protect from the sun.

^ Didn't they use the area for a new maze though?

Yeah, they used the area back where the station was for Toxic Plague, which is a Haunt maze and then put El Dorado in front of that in 2009. But still the so called "plaza" in front of El Dorado is just a big asphalt mess with patches.

Hopefully you all get a Haunt maze for that area if there isn't a project planned there for 2012!

^ Didn't they use the area for a new maze though?

Only the old station building,the rest is just asphalt & you can clearly see where the footers once were.That reminds me,while in line for hurler today I spotted a single red flag in the general vicinity...looks like us KD fans gotta watch that area as the season goes on.

Back to CGA though:The reason for keeping the landscaping simple could be that CF might GL the park...after all why bother investing mega bucks on landscaping only to bulldoze it along withthe rest of the park?I hope this doesn't happen & that CGA finally gets some much needed attention however.

I'm going to call it right now....

If all goes well, in the near future we will see a Zacspin or small Eurofighter in the Invertigarden and a great new coaster, probably steel, in the WWF/old Whizzer/Pictorium area.....if needed sound wall and all- screw you neighbors!

You know, there is plenty of space over and around Logger's Run and over the water for a coaster, hmmmmm.

Does anyone have a recent picture of the new lawn? There's seems to be a lot of comments about how sloppy it looks... Sod doesn't look perfect when it's just been rolled out.

Last thing about KD... They were probably watching their budgets with I305 on the way. That's always the case at these parks just before a new large coaster comes in.

I wonder if a Back Lot Stunt coaster would fit. Those look cool. I've never been on one but sure would like one at CGA.

Those are from the Paramount days... and Cedar Fair can't even keep the special effects working on the three that already exist, so they don't need another one.

I wonder if a Back Lot Stunt coaster would fit. Those look cool. I've never been on one but sure would like one at CGA.

Those are from the Paramount days... and Cedar Fair can't even keep the special effects working on the three that already exist, so they don't need another one.

Kings Island actually keeps its one running great!

After seeing the Eurofighter on the TPR home page, I'm really starting to dig this now...I know Eurofighters can fit in small areas and pack a punch (says one who's never ridden one). It's even got an element similar to Invertigo's but with a little dash of WTF-Sauce to it.

wtfcoaster.jpg.78d2b819edf0afd0b5cae4fc8cf56405.jpg

Come on guys a Zach Spin? No frigen way! Why on earth would CGA put in yet another ride that spins!!! CGA has way,way,way too many spinny rides as it is. CGA is LACKING GOOD DECENT COASTERS-ones that DO NOT SPIN. Firewall was new for 2008 so I don't think they will put in any type of ride that spins including spinning coasters. Like what is wrong with a Back Lot Stunt, Zonga, Flight Of Fear or if CF really,really cares & won't let CGA go dead they would put in a Maverick clone. Or come on expand Boomerang Bay.

Expand Boomerang Bay into where? Remove more rides for that?

Look, at this point ANY type of coaster, spinning or not, would be very welcome. And when you say spinning rides what do you mean....flat rides? Last time I checked there are no coasters there that 'spin' so a ZacSpin would be a very nice addition.

Rides that don't spin...

Demon

Grizzly

Drop Tower

Psycho Mouse

Logger's Run

White Water Falls

Flight Deck

Vortex

(Invertigo)

Hmm, that's funny, out of those major rides NONE of them spin.

After seeing the Eurofighter on the TPR home page, I'm really starting to dig this now...I know Eurofighters can fit in small areas and pack a punch (says one who's never ridden one). It's even got an element similar to Invertigo's but with a little dash of WTF-Sauce to it.

Yeah I totally agree! I've never had the pleasure of riding one of these but it looks like you get a lot of 'fun' out of a ride with such a small footprint.

The point is I really don't want to see a spinning coaster which is something I can't go on. Including a Windseeker. Plus Survivor er Tiki Twril was 2006. Firewall is a ride that flips which was 2008. So I highly dought it will be a Zac Spin or any type of spinny ride. I am really,really,really hoping not. I like the Eurofighter idea though. What about a Flight Of Fear in the old Pictorium?