TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

I found these home movies from the park, one from 1988 and one from 1990. Thought they were really cool. The video from 1988 has a segment of the old sea lion show:

Sweet, on the second video, you can hear the high-pitched motors from the Sky Whirl. You could hear that ride from almost anywhere in the park.

On the second video you can see the small child walking across that bridge in Kidzville today (not sure what that land was called at the time) does anyone know that bridge was taken down I think it went missing around 2005/2006 I had alway liked going across it.

On the second video you can see the small child walking across that bridge in Kidzville today (not sure what that land was called at the time) does anyone know that bridge was taken down I think it went missing around 2005/2006 I had alway liked going across it.

I loved that bridge too! ..so mad that they removed it about 6 years ago. At the time of the video, I believe that land was known as Smurf Woods.

~Nicholas

I remember Smurf Woods. I think the play structure was called "Fort Fun" or something like that. It was like an outdoor Discovery Zone complete with a maze, small zip line, bridges, slides, ball pits...something that kids play structures lack these days. As a kid, one could easily get lost in the play structure, at least from what I remember. The most exciting part was crossing that suspended bridge for me, while hearing the screeching Triple Play/Sky Whirl and looking at my parents far below me.

As far as Smurf Woods, I always ran through the mushroom houses as I made may way back to the Blue Streak coaster, now Woodstock Express. I'm sure I posted this various times but in the picnic area, one of the smaller Smurf mushroom houses still stands.

And what on earth was a baby doing on the Rapids anyway? That was downright strange. I always thought infants weren't allowed on any of their rides.

"I hav a great ride f0r great america itz da GIANT INVERTED B00MERANG fr0m vek0ma!!! actually it may l00k like invertig0 but if u ride it itz bettr kuz itz higher. F0 REELZ N0T J0KING PPL....N GREAT AMERICA ahahhaha iz it 0k 2 call great america n tell dem great ideas f0r a new ride 2 replace invertig0??? ANY 1???? ehehhe pleez k0mment bakk ppl n great america by da way my 8th grade class is k0ming in june 8th n i hav a great (funfair) ride2 put wile weer der n aftr dat u can put ma idea!! kuz itz sad if we g0 n ders n0 ride 2 replace invertig0 u could put da ride wile weer der n itz E-Z 2 put kuz itz a funfair ride n E-Z 2take it 0ff 2!! S0RRY IF I RITE 2 MUCH IM JZT S00000 INTERESTED IN GREAT AMERICA!! ahahah"

I found these home movies from the park, one from 1988 and one from 1990. Thought they were really cool. The video from 1988 has a segment of the old sea lion show:

Sweet, on the second video, you can hear the high-pitched motors from the Sky Whirl. You could hear that ride from almost anywhere in the park.

I miss Sky Whirl @SFGAm. When it was replaced by Deja Vu I wasn't that bothered because GIBs are fantastic. Now that it has ultimately been replaced by the waste of space Buccaneer Battle, it's a different story.

I think the triple wheels are all gone, but how about the double wheels? I remember reading not too long ago that there were a few left (presumably) overseas.

It's a shame to see California's Great America formerly known as Marriott's Great America turn into a glorified carnival. In it's hey day (Tidal Wave, sky Whirl, Orleans Orbit (when it actually went all the way up), the Demon complete w/ it's creepy bright orange rails and theming and the attraction most missed... The Whizzer. It was such an awesome place to visit. They should restore the magic and splendor of that was GREAT AMERICA.

I'll probably go. There's a good chance that it will be raining though, probably keep the crowds down. I'm most looking forward to riding the Grizzly!

Things I'll be looking for:

-If Firefall will be running on opening day, for the first time in its existence at CGA.

-Will there be six cars working on the Drop Tower?

-Fence: The Ride

-New Tiki Twirl sign

-Maybe Vortex will be running the other train that was in rehab all last season, possibly smoother?

-The appearance of the orange Demon train, with the yellow one in rehab

Should be fun. The off-season went by fairly quick!

Hello,

Small Update mainly what Flagg O'Dim commented on.

FireFall is still undergoing rehab and probably won't be open till May-ish (Don't hold me to this, things can change). Waiting on a replacement part.

Drop Tower is currently operating with 6 cabins and should hopefully stay that way for opening day.

I have yet to see the new Tiki Sign, last I checked it wasn't up yet.

Vortex's second train was added this week and the plan is to open with 2 trains.

FlightDeck aka Top Gun (My ride ) , the shark train received some nice new harnesses.

As for riding the coasters around the park, I have yet to do cause I'm mostly working or they don't allow us too.

I shall be the first on my ride in the morning for a test ride. *Excited* Can't wait......

Invertigo aka dirt patch, the final second half of the station including the safety booth was removed, "clean-up" of the area has been ongoing.