TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

In all seriousness, I'm glad they were able to get this resolved so quickly! Riding Gold Striker will be a fresh new experience to be had again...riders in row 12 should experience that nice pop of air as they take the Prudential Tunnel down toward the Prudential Turn

I am happy to say that I've gotten to ride GS from the start, in just about every form...being no walls at all on the Prudential Turn to no walls on the inside of the first drop, to no half-covered brake run (in which our cheering at the end of the ride was too loud and exciting for the stone faces next door).

In the end I'm happy that the ride will be back up and running (for a while now, hopefully), and didn't even affect my park visits, since I usually am never able to make it out on weekdays. As my brother (who saw the photos I shared on Facebook) said, it's starting to look more like a mine shaft!

You know, they really could have used this to their advantage if they'd thought and tested things out sooner. They could've used the tunnels as a really cool feature not really found on many wooden coasters, and sold it to the public before it ever opened. Heck, they still could, but their marketing just seems really really bad. (6 days of media shoots, no first rider auction).

So let me understand this right......that little stretch of track with the tunnel is the only place any noise was coming from that pissed off the neighbors? WTF!!!!

Also, how are they going to react when xthousand screaming football fans are roaring in a stadium just across the street and having wild tailgate parties?

To answer one of the questions above, Gold Striker has 2 full tunnels. It also has a set of walls on one of the turnarounds, and sections of white styrofoam-like infill placed at some of the high and low points of the track.

About football games, unless it's Monday Night Football, chances are that games will be on a Sunday when offices are closed. I am curious however to see how the residential zone will take to the stadium noise (and light pollution).

The area where they put in that 70-foot-long tunnel was aimed right at the offices. What was once a middle finger to the offices is now just another section of the coaster... The tunnel should be a fun experience though!

The area where they put in that 70-foot-long tunnel was aimed right at the offices. What was once a middle finger to the offices is now just another section of the coaster... The tunnel should be a fun experience though!

They could always paint a middle finger on the side of the tunnel facing the offices.

You know, they really could have used this to their advantage if they'd thought and tested things out sooner. They could've used the tunnels as a really cool feature not really found on many wooden coasters, and sold it to the public before it ever opened. Heck, they still could, but their marketing just seems really really bad. (6 days of media shoots, no first rider auction).

And the TV commercials that they're still playing show the ride with no tunnels or walls, including on the first drop. After all the work that has been done it seems a little misleading at this point.

Ugh Cedar Fair should just offer to pay to install sound proof windows on the Prudential building so Prudential can finally just shut the f@#%k up once and for all! I mean come on! It can not be THAT loud inside that building!

Grizzly is horribly pointless, but quite frankly---it works perfectly as a "gateway ride." It's so boring kids can easily conquer and get the confidence to hit other rides.

Grizzly is horribly pointless, but quite frankly---it works perfectly as a "gateway ride." It's so boring kids can easily conquer and get the confidence to hit other rides.

Which is probably why it was my first 'big' coaster...when I got off I figured that once was enough. However, Giant Dipper was what really started my coaster craze a year later, and after being convinced to ride it (was terrified) I decided to ride again a few more times as I enjoyed it

Which is probably why it was my first 'big' coaster...when I got off I figured that once was enough. However, Giant Dipper was what really started my coaster craze a year later, and after being convinced to ride it (was terrified) I decided to ride again a few more times as I enjoyed it

Grizzly was also my first large coaster. When I got off, I thought it was very intense (before Grizzly, Jaguar [KBF] was my largest coaster), so this coaster is what brought me into the world of the big coasters.

I can say with quite a large amount of certainty that Grizzly is not going anywhere anytime soon. The main reason is that the coaster is really just a giant family coaster, and the park is marketing it as such. (The park website lists Grizzly under the 'family rides' section) To me, it is meant to be looked at as a family coaster, the park is marketing it as a family coaster, and it is still popular, meaning Grizzly is successful for what it is. (Even though at least half of the kiddie wood coasters I have ridden are more intense than Grizzly)

I can say with quite a large amount of certainty that Grizzly is not going anywhere anytime soon. The main reason is that the coaster is really just a giant family coaster, and the park is marketing it as such. (The park website lists Grizzly under the 'family rides' section) To me, it is meant to be looked at as a family coaster, the park is marketing it as a family coaster, and it is still popular, meaning Grizzly is successful for what it is. (Even though at least half of the kiddie wood coasters I have ridden are more intense than Grizzly)

Family? Taxi Jam is more intense (And better) than Grizzly.