TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

After reading through a few pages of this thread I learned a few things that were interesting. Heres my 10 cents on the park. If no new additions/major changes in the park are planned for 2012 I think that a sale will be in play. CF obviously doesn't seem to care too much about this park. Just my 10 cents..

Ok so I don't know the fine details but I do know for a fact that the land is leased to Cedar Fair until 2039, stated in a CF press release a while back when they were fighting against the stadium project.

So then why would Cedar Fair be talking about selling CGA in a quote if what your saying is the case then? Just thought I'd see what your take on it is.

I think Valleyfair! would be a great fit for Flight Deck. The antique cars site is my likely bet....

And I think Vortex would be a good fit for Kings Island or Worlds of Fun. I think Vortex, with a rehab on its rails and its trains getting some love, can be a great standup coaster again.

I don't doubt all of the rides will be salvaged... Haven't a clue where they may end up. (KD calls dibs on Delirium and Orbiter...)

With VF getting a used coaster from Dorney it's highly unlikely that they'd get another coaster so soon after that.Orbiter would go great at KD...it'd be great to have an enterprise again.

Here's some more images of Invertigo in pieces, this one looks like it is from the part that was in the station area

Thanks for the pictures. It's cool to see the track pieces, yet depressing at the same time.

I also see the staircase that went alongside the lift hill piled on top of the track.

Your Welcome, I thought the same when I pulled into the employee lot about seeing the track piece sitting there, at least I did have my camera with me to get some images of it.

http://www.cagreatamerica.com/

Here is a link to their website, they are hiring, and they have 2011 season passes on sale. Why is everyone contemplating where the rides are going when apparently they will still be operating at the same location??

Yes, this is somewhat of a sarcastic joke, just kinda wondering....

Didn't Geauga Lake sell season passes for the season it didn't end up opening and refund the peoples money?

Having moved out here in 07 and only visited the park once since then, this information is starting to hurt. I really have little desire to visit the park after that one visit but I was expecting there to eventually be a reason to go back, not a plot of concrete.

My thoughts (if this happens):

• Flight Deck gets sent to Valleyfair

• Vortex gets sent to Worlds of Fun

• Drop Tower gets sent to Michigan's Adventure

• Psycho Mouse gets sent to Knott's Berry Farm

• Planet Snoopy/Kidzville rides get sent to Michigan's Adventure (with Taxi Jam)

• Tiki Twirl gets sent to Michigan's Adventure or Worlds of Fun

• Firefall gets sent to Carowinds

• Delirium gets sent to Kings Dominion

• Carousel Columbia gets sent to Kings Island

Now for the doomed rides:

• Grizzly

• Demon

• Woodstock Express

• Logger's Run

• Whitewater Falls (or this can be sold)

Edited by StarTrekGeek

• Planet Snoopy/Kidzville rides get sent to Michigan's Adventure (with Taxi Jam)

• Firefall gets sent to Canada's Wonderland

• Carousel Columbia gets sent to Carowinds (maybe?)

Valleyfair would definitely benefit from this scenario.

I'm not sure if this is good news, but after that Cedar Fair quote ANYTHING has to be good news, right?

I just got a call from one of my friends who works at Structural Technologies, the guys who have been doing work on The Grizzly over the off-season...he says that with the re-profiling and new track work they have gotten the ride to run the circuit 23 seconds FASTER than it was before!

Could this mean that not only will Grizzly not have landed in "last place" for the first time in 15 years, but it might actually climb in the poll?

--Robb

they have gotten the ride to run the circuit 23 seconds FASTER than it was before!

Holy crap! That's a HUGE chunk of time. The obvious question that comes to mind for me is, how is that compared to it's opening season ride time? Did this reprofile bring it back to it's original ride time, just improve the current ride time, or did it surpass the original?

The Grizzly over the off-season...he says that with the re-profiling and new track work they have gotten the ride to run the circuit 23 seconds FASTER than it was before!

...nothing a trim brake won't solve.

With what's going on, it seems like the end of the park, and while it's sad to see a park, especially a major one, close, it seems like Great America has been on borrowed time for a while. I'd like to see the park thrive, but with a lack of investment, complaining neighbors, and probably a stadium on the way, there doesn't seem to be a future for the park. Cedar Fair seemed to do a decent job when they parted out Geauga Lake, so hopefully most of the rides at Great America will find new homes through the chain.

I don't think Cedar Fair would put so much into Grizzly if they weren't planning to keep PGA open for at least a few more years. Maybe improvements to Grizzly = PGA not closing (yet).

Eric

I don't think Cedar Fair would put so much into Grizzly if they weren't planning to keep PGA open for at least a few more years. Maybe improvements to Grizzly = PGA not closing (yet).

They completely re-tracked Raging Wolf Bobs during the off season before it closed.

Do not underestimate the HUGE amount of money they could sell the park for versus the small amount of money it costs to re-track a wood coaster. The two are not comparable, and if they were offered millions from the park from the 49ers, no one at Cedar Fair is going to every say "But, gee...we just re-tracked the 2nd worst roller coaster in the world...we really shouldn't sell and keep the park open another year or two."

See how stupid that would sound?

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Adter getting a coaster from Dorney it's highly unlikely that VF will get another one soon after that.

Adter getting a coaster from Dorney it's highly unlikely that VF will get another one soon after that.

As stated before, this didn't stop Carowinds from getting two coasters in 2009 and 2010 (Carolina Cobra and Intimidator). Kings Dominion got Dominator in 2008, and Intimidator 305 in 2010. Cedar Point got Wicked Twister in 2002 and Top Thrill Dragster in 2003. Knott's Berry Farm got Xcelerator in 2002, and Silver Bullet in 2004, just two years later.

Just saying...

Edited by StarTrekGeek