TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

So then why is Demon at SFGA all black and CGA is black but with red rails? Just thought I'd ask.

Don't know why but its been like that as long as I can remember. SFGAMs Demon also has or had at least one train that was red, CGAs trains have always been black.

Anybody have an on ride picture from the Demon at CGA? I do-one from 1993. It was I believe my 2nd ride on the Demon. 1st time I was so scared about going upside down but after the first time I went on it I loved it & went again. So yeah the Demon is a classic. I hope it never gets taken out. That same year I went on the Vortex for the first time. The ride operator was like you want to go again & I was like yeah! & I didn't have to get off! Too bad though I was scared of the Tidal Wave-thought I'd fall out. Didn't start going on the Tidal Wave since 1997. God I miss it. Hey CGA rescue our Tidal Wave from Kentucky Kingdom! That could be new for 2012!

I am not familiar with the park at all, but why do all the coasters but Grizzly and Demon not have station buildings?

I don't think any of the coasters at CGA have station buildings, including Flight Deck/Top Gun, and Vortex. Its just something that has never been built at a park that is heavily neglected by its parent company.

It's not neglect, it's a cost-saving measure.

I'd say its safe to say that CGA is a neglected park, especially next to most other Cedar Fair parks. I didn't say specifically that the lack of station buildings were a sign of neglect, I just said they were just never built. I agree that it is probably a cost saving measure to a park that gets very little overall investment (ie neglect).

Also it was Paromount who were in charge when all those coasters were built so you can't just blame Cedar Fair.

I believe Grizzly and Demon were there long before Paramount. I also remember seeing old pics of Whizzer and there was no station so to speak of for it either.

Demon is from the Marriott days as it's been there since the park opened in 1976.

The ride originally opened as the "Turn of the Century" with bunny hills instead of the two vertical loops, no theming, and the trains were a white color with red/blue graphics. Around the early 80s is when the name changed to "Demon", the loops and theming were added, and the trains got the black makeover. Three train operation in those days too!

^Are you being sarcastic about that patch of grass? Actually, I think it makes the whole entry look nicer rather than just endless switchbacks. I sure wish they'd add the lights back into the tunnel, even if they were LEDs (so no idiots can throw stuff and shatter bulbs)...or throw in a strobe light in that tunnel.

Just thought I would post these comments that Kinzel gave in an interview after the conference call a couple weeks ago. It looks like current (which could be the key word here going forward) management doesn't have high hopes for CGA. The company took a $64.2 million impairment charge for 2010 on CGA, according to their fourth quarter conference call.

Cedar Fair grew over the last decade a series of acquisitions that added to its original holding – Cedar Point – and to its debt.

But outgoing CEO Richard Kinzel says the company is stable now. And with the exception of a park in Santa Clara, California, that it hopes to sell to the San Francisco 49ers, it anticipate no major deals.

The full article can be read here: http://www.wksu.org/news/story/27583

The fourth quarter conference call press release can be read here: http://www.cedarfair.com/ir/press_releases/index.cfm?current_root=15&mode=story&story_id=281

Just thought I would post these comments that Kinzel gave in an interview after the conference call a couple weeks ago. It looks like current (which could be the key word here going forward) management doesn't have high hopes for CGA. The company took a $64.2 million impairment charge for 2010 on CGA, according to their fourth quarter conference call.

Cedar Fair grew over the last decade a series of acquisitions that added to its original holding – Cedar Point – and to its debt.

But outgoing CEO Richard Kinzel says the company is stable now. And with the exception of a park in Santa Clara, California, that it hopes to sell to the San Francisco 49ers, it anticipate no major deals.

The fourth quarter conference call press release can be read here: http://www.cedarfair.com/ir/press_releases/index.cfm?current_root=15&mode=story&story_id=281

Ouch! Hopefully this improves soon.

^Are you being sarcastic about that patch of grass? Actually, I think it makes the whole entry look nicer rather than just endless switchbacks. I sure wish they'd add the lights back into the tunnel, even if they were LEDs (so no idiots can throw stuff and shatter bulbs)...or throw in a strobe light in that tunnel.

I don't know what would make you think that I was being sarcastic. Don't you think having a grass area is much nicer that an area of cement and switchbacks? I sure think it's much nicer.

Something gives me the feeling that this isn't going to work out...

^I was thinking along the lines of my sarcastic remarks about how Triple Play became a nice tree planter, a great use of space.

I really hope things pick up for CGA, perhaps I'm beginning to think that Cedar Fair should just let go of the park and let someone else (who will actually do something major for the park annually) take over. Yes, Cedar Fair has their good points on what they've done for the park (mainly being Haunt)...otherwise, to me, CGA seems to be one of those parks that's just 'there.' I'd like to see how this 2012 thing's going to pan out if we even see anything. As the 2008 proposed coaster was a fail, my feelings towards any other improvements for the future are slowly starting to shift to 'not going to happen.' In other words, we'll be lucky if we see another hand-me-down ride that can easily be removed when needed. In the end, my thoughts of CGA's current state is much like a Mortal Kombat fighter in the "Finish Him!" stage, just standing there unable to do anything other than take the final blow.

I'm curious now...would the park probably still be standing if it were sold to the 49ers or would they further kill of the park and eventually go into bankruptcy? Or, would the NFL just pave over it and turn the park into a huge 49er's plaza for selling overpriced 49er's goods... All I can say at this point is that we should just enjoy what we have while it lasts, and just wait and see what the future (doesn't) brings.