TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

This could turn out to be interesting...I mean, Cedar Fair has right of first refusal but what if the NFL/9ners drive the price up too high? They have their long term lease, but if someone buys the land from under them...

Right now their only saving grace is their ability to hold big special events (The Superbowl this year, WrestleMania, concerts, etc). The park is a veritable ghost town during 49'er games due to the way the team is playing. This is what the stadium looked like yesterday...

12375248_10153487504253791_7475030739416676241_o.jpg

2 years removed from an ‪NFC Championship‬ game, and 3 years removed from a ‪Superbowl‬ appearance.

^ I saw some photos of the stadium on the Bills fan forum yesterday...yikes!

The Bills Mafia fans are all calling for a similar turn-out for the final two Bills homes games this season to prove a point. Elevated ticket prices + higher expectations = 16 years of no playoffs, so therefore, no fan support.

At this point, we even have fans that are saying things like, "F#ck 'em...wish they were the team moving to LA versus St. Louis or San Diego...let them figure out this hot mess."

This could turn out to be interesting...I mean, Cedar Fair has right of first refusal but what if the NFL/9ners drive the price up too high? They have their long term lease, but if someone buys the land from under them...

Right now their only saving grace is their ability to hold big special events (The Superbowl this year, WrestleMania, concerts, etc). The park is a veritable ghost town during 49'er games due to the way the team is playing. This is what the stadium looked like yesterday...

12375248_10153487504253791_7475030739416676241_o.jpg

2 years removed from an ‪NFC Championship‬ game, and 3 years removed from a ‪Superbowl‬ appearance.

The reason they pushed so hard for a new stadium is because with all the club/suites (and PSL's season ticket holders have to buy), the team still makes money no matter what the turn out is.

Not sure if anyone's said this yet, but after playing through the first Mass Effect game recently, I have a very good feeling that this live actor part for New Earth will be for the Shepard character, since in the game you can customize Shepard to be whatever you want. Which could make it a bit easier for casting.

Not sure if anyone's said this yet, but after playing through the first Mass Effect game recently, I have a very good feeling that this live actor part for New Earth will be for the Shepard character, since in the game you can customize Shepard to be whatever you want. Which could make it a bit easier for casting.

I think it depends heavily on where/when they want to set it. You should play the other two so I don't spoil anything .

The new game coming out next December I believe is supposed to be a different character in a different location, but in parallel time-wise to Shepard's story, and I could see them wanting to tie in at least somewhat to that.

I think it depends heavily on where/when they want to set it. You should play the other two so I don't spoil anything .

The new game coming out next December I believe is supposed to be a different character in a different location, but in parallel time-wise to Shepard's story, and I could see them wanting to tie in at least somewhat to that.

Yeah, I think that's the biggest question left in the air to speculate. We have no idea where it takes place in the timeline. Not even my friend could tell where it takes place even by looking at the concept art. Though she thinks it may take place between the second and third game.

What kind of ride is Berserker, is it one of those flying disc rides like Delirium at Kings Island and so to be at Kings Dominion?

The Berserker at California's Great America is a Schwarzkopf Bayern Kurve. It was formerly known as Beserker. It's one of the two Bayern Kurve rides left in North America, the other being Bayern Kurve at Kennywood. California's Great America has a Frisbee ride by the name of Delirium that opened in 2002. It is a Chance Rides/KMG Revolution 32 model.

It would be nice if Cedar Fair could purchase the land and building that Prudential occupies. Who agrees lol?

I assume it would be exorbitantly expensive with Bay Area property prices, but I wonder if Cedar Fair would even consider buying up any additional land around the park...

• 3 weeks later...

According to a recent LA Times article, they announced that 3D Live will be working on the holographic elements for ME: New Earth. And they're hinting at using the holographic effects in a similar manner to something like the Holodeck.

The science-fiction attraction at the Silicon Valley-area theme park attempts to simulate the futuristic holodeck imagined in “Star Trek,” where living people interact with holographic images in a virtual-reality room.

The attraction’s holographic elements are being developed by 3D Live, a relative newcomer to the theme park industry. The Los Angeles-based company uses immersive 3-D LED technology and augmented reality to create virtual environments at concerts, music festivals and live events.

Source: http://www.latimes.com/travel/themeparks/la-trb-ea-video-games-plants-zombies-mass-effect-20160121-story.html

Not sure if anybody has mentioned this and if someone has I apologize, but it seems that the park will be somewhat operational this sunday.

According to this post on Stub Hubs Facebook page: https://m.facebook.com/events/1260631857286646/

The problem I have with this article is when it mentions 3 of the coasters that will be open it says "Gold Striker" which is awesome but then it mentions "the Viper" and "Venom"

Is this just Stubhub doing a very "GP" thing and confusing coasters at the two "Great America" parks and then just pulling the name "Venom" out of their a** or am I completely missing something?

Also of note, the event is not mentioned anywhere on CGA's website (although it has been mentioned on Twitter and IG I believe) I wonder if they plan on having the whole park open (which would be weird considering their actual opening day isn't until the end of March) or just a section of the park. Anybody with more info on this whole thing?

Not sure if anybody has mentioned this and if someone has I apologize, but it seems that the park will be somewhat operational this sunday.

According to this post on Stub Hubs Facebook page: https://m.facebook.com/events/1260631857286646/

The problem I have with this article is when it mentions 3 of the coasters that will be open it says "Gold Striker" which is awesome but then it mentions "the Viper" and "Venom"

Is this just Stubhub doing a very "GP" thing and confusing coasters at the two "Great America" parks and then just pulling the name "Venom" out of their a** or am I completely missing something?

Also of note, the event is not mentioned anywhere on CGA's website (although it has been mentioned on Twitter and IG I believe) I wonder if they plan on having the whole park open (which would be weird considering their actual opening day isn't until the end of March) or just a section of the park. Anybody with more info on this whole thing?

Two things I know for sure:

1. The whole park will not be open

2. At least part of the park will, which will include celebration swings, as CGA posted as such on their FB page earlier today.

Will be nice if Gold Striker and one or two other coasters is open. I wonder if it's Vortex and they just mixed up their V words since Vortex is also near the park gates (for easily sectioning off the open part of the park)

As previously mentioned, Cedar Fair has a long term lease. They would have to pay a huge price for the land and a huge price to buy out the Cedar Fair lease which runs until at least 2039 (Cedar Fair also holds the rights to renew up to as long as 2079).