TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Discussion Thread

P. 417 - Fury back open now with 100% less crack!

I think Im the only one that sees the potential in this layout..

Probably. I just don't think retracking one turn is going to change the fact that this ride isn't fun. I'll certainly report back if it's any good, just don't get your hopes up.

Hurler at kd was brutal but it was the best wooden coaster there and had the best forces and most intense airtime. It was mostly those turns that ruined it the way it shook and absorbed so much of the speed

Hurler at kd was brutal but it was the best wooden coaster there and had the best forces and most intense airtime. It was mostly those turns that ruined it the way it shook and absorbed so much of the speed.

Grizzly and Rebel Yell both easily outdo Hurler on airtime and/or forces. Unless you consider going over hills without leaving your seat airtime and being thrown to the side because the train is shuffling so bad as forces...

I want to see a Launch Coaster or a Dive Machine over a Giga. Anyone feel the same? What are your thoughts?

If they did something original with their rumored giga coaster, for an example a floorless ride with inversions I would actually approve of a B&M for the park. A giga dive machine I could also find interesting. If it's just something similar to Leviathan, then I much rather see some other manufacturer build it.

2015 will actually be very interesting as both Mack and Gerstlauer will be entering the hyper market, Mack even with an inversion coaster with the worlds tallest loop.

Wait, did I miss anything? Where will it be?

The Lewa Happy World park. The ride will be 60 meters tall with the worlds tallest inversion (vertical loop) standing 50 meters tall.

It's in this German article and Mack shared the link on their official Facebook page so I think it's actually true.

^That's very interesting, I had no idea!

I would really like to see once and for all a giga coaster with inversions (actually the floorless model was what I thought of too). That could easily mean breaking the record for world's tallest loop (and inversion) and maybe number of inversions too!!

By the way, you said that Mack will have the world's tallest inversion (and loop) but isn't gatekeeper's wing over drop the world's tallest one? (52 metres)

^That's very interesting, I had no idea!

I would really like to see once and for all a giga coaster with inversions (actually the floorless model was what I thought of too). That could easily mean breaking the record for world's tallest loop (and inversion) and maybe number of inversions too!!

By the way, you said that Mack will have the world's tallest inversion (and loop) but isn't gatekeeper's wing over drop the world's tallest one? (52 metres)

I assume the first Raven Turn of Eejanaika would be the tallest one.

Are there any coasters over even 200 ft. with inversions, other than dive machines? There doesn't seem to be a record entry for tallest inverting coaster.

Grizzly and Rebel Yell both easily outdo Hurler on airtime and/or forces. Unless you consider going over hills without leaving your seat airtime and being thrown to the side because the train is shuffling so bad as forces...

I believe your experience of Hurler is with the trim brake (2010-present). Before it was: Good drop -- shuffley extreme turn -- 3 wonderful bunny hops -- slightly less extreme shuffley turn -- another nice hop -- slowed elevated turn, not bad -- nicely profiled final big turn (maybe the new turn will be more like?). Really only those first 2 turns need work, fix suddenly have a very decent coaster. I LOVED it before the trim was added, but knew where*/how to ride (expensively gained experience) and it was admittedly still brutal. But even keeping it in that marginal condition took more work than other coasters.

*avoid wheel seats, but this goes for Grizzly and Rebel Yell too.

The trim brake is actually being removed, if you're talking about the one at the bottom of the 1st drop. GCI re-profiled that entire turn and the trim brake is no longer needed. You can see the new bottom of the 1st drop in the image below.

1622815_10152241746599095_1289179804_n.jpg.b1207a0d7330851f97ec656279a45796.jpg

Photo from GCI's Facebook page

Whether or not this will actually change the rest of the course will be seen. Hoping that more re-tracking is coming soon.

Are there any coasters over even 200 ft. with inversions, other than dive machines? There doesn't seem to be a record entry for tallest inverting coaster.

X2 also goes upside down.

Apparently Eejanaika at Fuji-Q is 249ft tall according to rcdb and if that's true then the first raven turn inversion would have be over 200ft tall in comparison to the first drop (which would be a taller inversion that GateKeeper..?). I was always confused by this.

It says X2 is 175ft tall with a 215ft drop so I'm not sure if you count that or not. But yeah nothing else over 200ft that I can think of... unless you wanna go wayyyy back when Son of Beast had the loop!

X2 also goes upside down.

X2 is only 175ft but the drop is 215ft. Add two Mr.Freezes, Dinoconda, Eejanaika, Speed: The Ride to the list.

^But the premiers, although being 200 ft tall, are not exactly what you would call a hyper coaster, are they? I don't know if their 200 and something feet refer to the height of the spikes or the maximum height the trains reach but even if it is the trains, then not all the passengers will reach that height (only the front, or back). A bit like wicked twister which despite being the world's tallest inverted coaster (and fastest too) isn't advertised by CP as so. So those are not exactly what people mean by a hyper or giga looping coaster, right? The fact is that, according to rcdb, none of the top ten tallest coasters have inversions and it's been a very very long time since the world's tallest ride had any.

I believe your experience of Hurler is with the trim brake (2010-present). Before it was: Good drop -- shuffley extreme turn -- 3 wonderful bunny hops -- slightly less extreme shuffley turn -- another nice hop -- slowed elevated turn, not bad -- nicely profiled final big turn (maybe the new turn will be more like?). Really only those first 2 turns need work, fix suddenly have a very decent coaster. I LOVED it before the trim was added, but knew where*/how to ride (expensively gained experience) and it was admittedly still brutal. But even keeping it in that marginal condition took more work than other coasters.

Excellent description of Hurler. Turns 1 and 2 always shuffled you to death. If those can be addressed long term, Hurler is actually a good coaster. I have never loved it, though, and not sure that it will ever cross the line for me and become a great coaster. Time will tell.

Hurler at kd was brutal but it was the best wooden coaster there and had the best forces and most intense airtime. It was mostly those turns that ruined it the way it shook and absorbed so much of the speed.

It had the best pacing of the three

Please stop coming up with these crazy ideas of a 300 foot looping coasters. Everyone is going through the five stages of grief over this coaster:

1. Denial You cannot stand to see another B&M Giga Coaster. Your mind is coming up with all these crazy ideas about looping 300 foot looping coasters and giant dive coasters.

2. Anger You are probably mad at Carowinds and Cedar Fair with the decision to go with B&M without even knowing what this coaster will be like.

3. Bargaining You might be thinking:

If only they'd gone with Intamin........

If only it was a dive machine or looping coaster.......

4. Depression You are becoming sad because the park didn't go with Intamin (most likely) and went with the so-called "forceless" Bolliger & Mabillard.

5. Acceptance You finally accept the fact that Carowinds will receive a B&M giga coaster in 2015, and that Intamin is not involved with this project. You now know that no matter what you do, the decision has already been made. Then you'll stop whining like a little...... never mind.

Please stop coming up with these crazy ideas of a 300 foot looping coasters. Everyone is going through the five stages of grief over this coaster:

1. Denial You cannot stand to see another B&M Giga Coaster. Your mind is coming up with all these crazy ideas about looping 300 foot looping coasters and giant dive coasters.

2. Anger You are probably mad at Carowinds and Cedar Fair with the decision to go with B&M without even knowing what this coaster will be like.

4. Depression You are becoming sad because the park didn't go with Intamin (most likely) and went with the so-called "forceless" Bolliger & Mabillard.

5. Acceptance You finally accept the fact that Carowinds will receive a B&M giga coaster in 2015, and that Intamin is not involved with this project. You now know that no matter what you do, the decision has already been made. Then you'll stop whining like a little...... never mind.

(Slow Clap, as seen in the super bowl car commercial)

Yes, yes, YES! Seriously, by far one of the best posts I've read yet. I don't care what manufacturer they go with, B&M or Intamin, as long as it gives a fun ride!