TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds New Ride Names

First the second wave pool, now this?

Top Gun is my favorite coaster and it does not deserve a crappy name like Flight Deck...

Nighthawk is ok, but come on! Now they are going to remove really awesome theming to the ride.

Carowinds is 5 minutes away from me, hell I pass it on the way to school every morning. It had a soft spot in my heart but its going away now, I am starting to get really pissed lol.

But hey, as long as the ride is still there, I will still love it.

Just please make for this by adding a hyper..

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, here is my views:

Borg being renamed "Nighthawk" - Since this ride makes the riders feel like they are flying and Nighthawl sounds like a super hero name, then I don't have any qualms about it.

Top Gun being renamed :Flight Deck? That is probable the most lamest, stupidest name I ever heard to be used for a coaster. There could have been many cooler names to name this coaster, even "JOHN DOE" would have been a better name than "FLIGHT DECK".

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

To the person that thought up Flight Deck

This sucks, and I was actually thinking about working there this next year. . I will never stop calling Flight Deck Top Gun. I do sort of like NightHawk though. That poor coaster must have identity problems now, this is the third name it's had. Hey maybe now Borg will get its much needed paint job.

The black and purple paint job was really cool on T2......for the 2.5 seasons it lasted. haha.

But I just have to wonder, how much money is Cedar Fair paying for management to come up with...FLIGHT DECK? Hello? It doesn't even make sense!

Come on CF, there is still faith.........or not. lol.

I actually don't mind NightHawk , Flight Deck though...crying out loud. Sheesh, I use to be part of the Top Gun crew for 07, that name offends me. I am of rehire status so hey, who knows you may see me back there for 08 though I will proberably be at a different ride.

Also for the one who said "They could have just called it "The Jet Coaster" but we'd look like the Japanese when it comes to ride naming then wouldn't we lol.

Also the one who says NigthHawk should be painted different..What about a dark red or even Carolina blue spine with black track? I mean Nighthawk also was a batman character derived from a robin that changed later in the series. He was blue and black. It would look cool. Though I feel with the logo it would be a photoshopped firehawk logo with green instead of red, it may look cool.

Clearly this was an "oh shoot, we forgot to rename the paramount rides at what park is it...... oh yea Carowinds. Let's see.... I'm already late for a meeting.... hmmm. We already have Thunderhawk and Firehawk Soooo how abouuut, Nighthawk? sounds good. Oh wait! We forgot Top Gun! Screw it. The passengers board on what is supposed to be the Flight Deck of an aircraft carrier so call it Flight Deck."

However fast that took you to read is how fast the names came to be.

All Cedar Fair ride names suck except for Cedar Point. They get all the attention from them.

I kind of agree with that, but "Blue Streak" always makes me think of a Smurf with dirty drawers, and "Mean Streak" reminds of the 7 days my wife is......well, you know. But Raptor, Mantis? Who had the Biology book in their office at those times? Top Thrill is a good name and I like Magnum too. But the rest of them are kind of crappy also.

I don't like the "Backlot Stunt Coaster," just a little too generic for me. I personally think that CF should come on here and ask for suggestions about ride names. How bout asking the GP what kind of names they like instead of just picking generic crap? But, across the board, not just CF, coaster names have been pretty crappy.

Just my two cents.

I kind of agree with that, but "Blue Streak" always makes me think of a Smurf with dirty drawers...But Raptor, Mantis? Who had the Biology book in their office at those times?

Blue Streak was named after a local high school football team, the Blue Streaks, so it has understandable origins. But Mantis was a replacement name after the ppl in charge decided "Banshee" was borderline too offensive (actually the Banshee logo was used for Phantom's Revenge). I think Raptor is sweet, especially how it goes well with the "flying/soaring in the sky" sensation. Notice I'm NOT defending Mean Streak...

Flight Deck...really? Flight decks are on top of boats and let planes take off. They don't fly. The coaster is supposed to make you feel like you're flying. Flight Deck is perfect for the STATION, but that's about it. And also, I know I'm missing something...CF has 2 Thunderhawks, a Firehawk, and a Nighthawk. Is this a super extremely high number of coasters to have a common suffix? Are there other flats too? I guess 4 just didn't seem to be as big a number as ppl seem to make out to be.

While "Flight Deck" is pathetic, I wasn't fond of "Top Gun: The Jet Coaster" either. BOTH of those names are just lame. Call it "Top Gun" or call it "Jet Coaster" but slapping them both together with a colon is just dumb.

Same goes for "Superman: Ride of Steel" and "Batman: The Escape" and "Two Face: The Flip Side" -- sheesh, pick ONE name and be done with it.

"Flight Deck" really does reek, though.

I think I'll call it "Poop Deck"

Call me lame if you wish, but I kind of like the name Flight Deck. Yeah it is very generic, and maybe not used in the best of contexts, but it sounds pretty good to me. Besides, a name is just a name, the actual ride itself is what counts, and last time I rode Top Gun/Flight Deck, it was wicked awesome! Like moose said, it could have been worse.

I also really like the Nighthawk name, but I agree that if they go that route, they need to take out the giant BORG sphere and replace it with something else.

But Mantis was a replacement name after the people in charge decided "Banshee" was borderline too offensive (actually the Banshee logo was used for Phantom's Revenge).

Actually, two things wrong;

1. CF would have kept the Banshee name, but religious protesters kind of forced CF into renaming it to Mantis.

2. Banshee's logo was used for Steel Force, not Phantom's Revenge.

On topic though:

Nighthawk I don't mind. Sure some people are going to hate CF for using "____hawk" for coaster names, but I think it sounds kind of cool. Heck, I think Nighthawk is a better name than Borg Assimilatior.

But like everybody else in the community, Flight Deck is the most horrible rename for a roller coaster since Movie Park Germany's "Cop Car Chase." For air fighters, there's tons of awesome names CF could have come up with. Stealth Bomber, Tomcat, After Burner, Dogfight, the list goes on...