TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds New Ride Names

I am not a fan of the names but, for me that really makes me care is the experience. Your probably not going to be riding Flight Deck and think "OMG this ride is so cool, but I hate the name so I hate the ride." As long as the ride is fun and thrilling, the names shouldn't matter.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ no its not the end of the world, your right. But it does make the ride seem incredibly cheesy and bad to anyone who hasn't been to Carowinds yet. And it really doesn't take much effort to come up with a better name than that anyway. Point being that they could have come up with a large number of names better than flight deck.

If it didn't make me think of a sedy LA sex club Nighthawk would be a cool name but Flight Deck doen't even sound like a coaster name- its sounds like something stationery. Maybe something like Comando, Aviator, Blast (a coaster name I use frequently in RCT), Fuel, or maybe since they are naming Borg after a seedy gay sex club hey should rename Top Gun the Cockpit (hee, hee).

Yeah, they really aren't putting any effort into renaming these things. I mean sure, they are just names, but how do they come up with Flight Deck and not realize how lame of a name that is. I'm sure there are tons of more creative, exciting names they could pull out of their ass than Flight Deck.

^ no its not the end of the world, your right. But it does make the ride seem incredibly cheesy and bad to anyone who hasn't been to Carowinds yet. And it really doesn't take much effort to come up with a better name than that anyway. Point being that they could have come up with a large number of names better than flight deck.

Seriously, it is really not that "cheesy." Why is this so important to you all? Because a few people will laugh at it and say "Wow, that name is really stupid"? Are they attacking you personally by doing this?

I still fail to see what's so "cheesy" about Flight Deck. It's not a great name, but it definitely isn't that bad. There have been way, way worse names. I repeat: Voyage. Even more generic and pointless than Flight Deck. No change in guest experience. Not a big deal.

Stop whining.

I still fail to see what's so "cheesy" about Flight Deck. It's not a great name, but it definitely isn't that bad. There have been way, way worse names. I repeat: Voyage. Even more generic and pointless than Flight Deck.

You keep telling yourself that.

^^^

Whoa. Now your losing it. I am not even that big a fan of Voyage but Voyage is a way better name than voyage. If you had been to holiday world you would realize that voyage is located in the Thanksgiving area of the park which is why it has the name voyage which is referring to the voyage that the pilgrims made.

^^^

Whoa. Now your losing it. I am not even that big a fan of Voyage but Voyage is a way better name than voyage. If you had been to holiday world you would realize that voyage is located in the Thanksgiving area of the park which is why it has the name voyage which is referring to the voyage that the pilgrims made.

First, I have been to Holiday World. Great place.

Second, you're totally right. I completely see how stupid I was being. I didn't even consider the fact that Top Gun is themed around airplanes and plane flying. Flight Deck totally doesn't fit that. At all. What were they thinking?

To the rest of ya's: Explain to me why the name "Voyage" is any different in level of creativity from "Flight Deck." Seriously. It's an obvious name, especially for a long ride. If it's so important that Cedar Fair stop using obvious names, why shouldn't other parks and chains follow suit?

This thread got me thinking. In 1999 I was the creative director over Paramount's Carowinds and the Top Gun project. I knew I had somewhere in my endless files a list of names that the Marketing department and the design team put together before the TOP GUN name was decided on. I don't know how we could've overlooked such a great name like FLIGHT DECK

Anyways here is the list....

942739579_TopGunNames.jpg.7bf48864d92febd6c9e28053892f81ad.jpg

This thread got me thinking. In 1999 I was the creative director over Paramount's Carowinds and the Top Gun project. I knew I had somewhere in my endless files a list of names that the Marketing department and the design team put together before the TOP GUN name was decided on. I don't know how we could've overlooked such a great name like FLIGHT DECK

Anyways here is the list....

Whoa, although I'm not sure if you're allowed to answer, wasn't Top Gun at Carowinds originally going to be themed after the 1998 Godzilla remake that tanked at the box office?