TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New Vekoma Flyer in China 2008

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly is the purpose of a zero-car, anyway?

Chasis support.

Yeah but the floorless & many inverts(alpie being the exception) don't have a zero car.This design is gonna be a capacity nightmare,as anyone knows the standard flying dutchman models have horrendous capacity & load times & that's with THREE times as many cars per train as the stingray has.

^^Actually, they all do have zero cars. Only difference is that they have seats on them.

http://rcdb.com/ig1.htm?picture=18

If you look at that picture, you can see that the front car is at the exact same angle as the second car, whereas each car after that is perpendicular to the track. The spacing is also noticeably different. This is because the seats on the zero car are always follow the same angle as the second car and the spacing is much more consistent than that of any other two cars on the train.

This, however, could be implemented into the design of this flyer.

• 2 months later...

I've heard the ride is having major issues and may not have been opened or ever open.

Hopefully someone can fill us in with more information, or we may go try and check it out on the TPR China Trip just to see what's up!

^^Actually, they all do have zero cars. Only difference is that they have seats on them.

http://rcdb.com/ig1.htm?picture=18

If you look at that picture, you can see that the front car is at the exact same angle as the second car, whereas each car after that is perpendicular to the track. The spacing is also noticeably different. This is because the seats on the zero car are always follow the same angle as the second car and the spacing is much more consistent than that of any other two cars on the train.

This, however, could be implemented into the design of this flyer.

I was gonna reply without checking this out as I was fairly certain you are incorrect, but after checking it out I cannot believe it, I was wrong, I am gobsmacked that in 16 years of B&M Inverts being installed, I have never noticed the difference in angle between the front car and all of the other cars, very interesting! Thanks for pointing that out!

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm not 100 percent sure what to make of this, but after this review of Happy Valley, the writer talks about the Stingray. It sounds like he rode it, but it's kind of hard to say.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Ftrips-n-pics.com%2F%3Fid%3D8122&sl=fr&tl=en

"It requires a temperature of 15 degrees and not a fart of wind or rain to work."

Thanks for the picture link, Matt. I thought I was going crazy because I had looked on RCDB in the last month and all those new pictures of it operating weren't on there and there was no indication that it was open. I see the date on them is 3/13 so they can't have been there for long. But anyway, glad it's open.

^ Yes, the ride is now open, well the ride has been open since 7/18/2009, so it didn't just open. I guess it is just a bad translation, about the ride not being able to operate when it is raining or above a certain wind speed.

I believe that technically it did (or may have) opened on 7/18/2009 but then quickly closed after that (possibly even the same day). I know that it was NOT open to the public, and had not been open to the public for some time, when we visited in September of 2009.

--Robb

This ride looks amazing compared to the thier other offering.

Is it just me, or the flying concept in general nowhere near as exciting as it sounded? I dont feel the sensation of flight, only the sensation of hanging by my chest. I rode Batwing and S:UF once and have no desire to ride either again.

That ride just looks like about 259 different ways of horrible.

I agree, and it is a failed ride attemot considering we have been talking about the ride for two and a half years. Vekoma seems to be getting very unlucky recently, Battlestar, this, honestly I dont think the Dragonfly concept will go over too well considering no one knows what the hell it does. It will either be like a suspenended moto coaster, and leaning forward on pony express kind of sucks. Or you will be kneeling, which is just terrible. In the end we must ask ourselves "what the hell are they thinking?" This entire ride is ridicoulas, the pacing(from a previous off ride testing video) looks horrendous, the lift looks kind of uncomfortable, the half pretzel is just pointless, and to top it off the capacity sucks. I just dont get what Vekoma's up to, and they cant afford to keep making designs that are failing cause in the last ten years we have seen a major rise in innovention from Gerstlauer and Maurer Söhne, and both companies are doing well. I mean, the Eurofighter, both companies have succesful spinning coasters, the X car is starting to do better, well see. Vekoma's days may be numbered, cause at a certain point, especially when you come down to a ride like this, qulaity is much more important than innovation.