TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

Wow! Those trains look awesome!! I love the deep red color and logo/flames across the front. This coaster just keeps looking better and better. And how can you not love a train going through this layout with just a lap bar?

Hopefully this means testing will begin fairly soon!

I love the deep red color and logo/flames across the front. This coaster just keeps looking better and better. And how can you not love a train going through this layout with just a lap bar?

Ditto all of that... I totally agree. I love the way the logo and design on the front looks. Testing soon hopefully!

^^ Totally agree! When I first saw the picture, the first thing that popped into my mind was that the front reminded me a ton of the front of Jack Rabbit's train. Seems like a pretty fitting look, considering the park's 3 great old-fashioned woodies.

So why is it loopy rides such as this and the FOF's can get away with only lap bars while unloopy (LOL) rides require full on OTSR's? Can't wait to get up there in a few weeks and try this one out. BTW, what is with the nut crushers on the front edge of the seat?

These are very comfortable looking trains. I was able to see them earlier in person (not up close, mind you) and I'm even more excited for this ride to open!

And yes, I also noticed the 'retro' style of the train. Perfect for a park like Kennywood. The front panel looks awesome. I did not see the second train on site, though, but I won't mind if they are both identical color-wise.

The trains arrived yesterday May 27th for Sky Rocket and testing will start next week. An estimated opening date of June 17th and should be available for ERT during Coaster Con.

I wouldn't get your hopes up just yet...In my honest opinion, I don't see this coaster opening by Coaster Con. I see Sky Rocket everyday while going to work, and while the coaster should be up and running by next week at the latest, the station ramps and queue line are nonexistent at this point. There is absolutely no fencing at all surrounding this ride anywhere. With the queue line going directly underneath this coaster, theres going to have to be some kind of barrier from guests accessing the second drop area as that comes very close to the ground and someone could definitely get hit by a train if they had access to that area. Also, the only part of the queue they have done is a staircase leading up to the station. You also have to keep in mind that they're not just going to test this thing for two days and say its good. I'm not positive if they are doing a pull through or not with the coaster, but testing is going to take at least a week I'd think. All I'm saying is, while it seems like Sky Rocket is almost done, there's actually a surprisingly amount of work that still needs to be done before they can open this coaster. I'd say the park is going to be tight trying to meet this deadline they've set for themselves.

The park has repeatedly said that the ride will require no more than two weeks of testing. They have been in the process of building the queue and have the electrical and drainage infrastructure in place. The queue and fencing can be all installed within a week's time and keep in mind that the entire ride is still surrounded by the original Turnpike fencing. This ride IS INDEED on track to open by Coaster Con.

The park has repeatedly said that the ride will require no more than two weeks of testing. They have been in the process of building the queue and have the electrical and drainage infrastructure in place. The queue and fencing can be all installed within a week's time and keep in mind that the entire ride is still surrounded by the original Turnpike fencing. This ride IS INDEED on track to open by Coaster Con.

I like the way you think. I'm really hoping for some Sky Rocket ERT at CoasterCon!

If Sky Rocket can come close to being as awesome as The Chiller was with lapbars in the barrel rolls I'll be ecstatic. I think I'm going to finally make it up to Kennywood this summer, and the ride looks great!

You obviously are looking at a different construction site that I see with my very own eyes every single day at work. Yeah they're in the process of building the queue, but the only part they actually have built is the stairs leading up to the station on the hillside behind the photo booth. All the handrails for the main queue need to be built not to mention the entrance and exit ramps from the station. I guess I should trust you though because you must be the master of construction. The carpenters at the park have been working on the queue for over a week now and all they have to show for it is that one staircase, and it doesn't even have to go up 11 feet in the air like the entrance and exit ramps do to get to the station. So saying they will get this whole queue done in a week is a complete lie. Also, the entire ride IS NOT still surrounded by the original Turnpike fencing. The only fencing that still remains is the fencing along the pathway next to Garfield. Everything else is either temporary or non-existent, like the fence that will be around the turn out of the station. Also, if you think they're just going to keep the second drop area open with only that Turnpike fencing, you're crazy. That's a total safety hazard considering how close it comes to the ground. Anyone would be able to take a stroll through the ride area and take a chance of getting hit. The park is aiming for a June 19th opening, but as of right now testing for the whole coaster probably won't even start until next week. They're cutting it really close but in my honest opinion I don't see it opening in time for Coaster Con.