TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kennywood (KW) Discussion Thread

OK guys, I am planning a road trip out to the midwest and I am finally gunna stop at this park along the way. This will be in August, what would crowds be like on a weekday? Is it realistic to hit every coaster, least all the major ones, and ideally with multiple rides?

Phantom's Revenge has had its trims and main brakes replaced with magnetic ones from Velocity Magnetics, programmed by our friends at Irvine Ondrey Engineering!

Facebook video of the new final brake run!

Nice!Will there be any impact on the airtime at the end?

^ Airtime is still as amazing as ever! One other cool change with the new brakes is that if the other train has cleared the station block, the train coming in will never fully stop on the brake run and continue slowly into the station. IOE does good work!

^ Airtime is still as amazing as ever! One other cool change with the new brakes is that if the other train has cleared the station block, the train coming in will never fully stop on the brake run and continue slowly into the station. IOE does good work!

OK guys, I am planning a road trip out to the midwest and I am finally gunna stop at this park along the way. This will be in August, what would crowds be like on a weekday? Is it realistic to hit every coaster, least all the major ones, and ideally with multiple rides?

Phantom's Revenge has had its trims and main brakes replaced with magnetic ones from Velocity Magnetics, programmed by our friends at Irvine Ondrey Engineering!

Facebook video of the new final brake run!

Nice!Will there be any impact on the airtime at the end?

I believe this is the main brake before the station.....so no, the ride itself will still be the same, just

the final brake before entering the station.

Nice!

My bad, I didn't think the airtime would be lessened, when you mentioned trims being redone I thought maybe it'd be moreso like maybe there would be less trim on the hills, but that was prob just my enthusiast brain going nuts.

Yeah I'm stoked to get out here. I'm finally just gunna solo trip it, too hard to get people to meet up, so if Ican't oh well. I've always wanted to visit KW and try their classic coasters and Phantom's Revenge.

For an August weekday what may crowds be like?

EDIT: Actually, if you ever wanna meet up at KW while I'm road tripping, lemme know and I'll PM you details sometime. I'm a Penn State alum btw! Did you go to UP?

^ August weekdays can be fairly crowded, especially if you visit during Fall Fantasy. You'll still be able to ride everything, though.

As for Noah's Ark getting new scenes, I'm glad to see they've given that ride some much-needed TLC. I'll have to make an effort to go this year and check it out for myself.

So as long as its not rainy, we'll be at this park the Friday afternoon before Memorial Day weekend. We'll only be there for 5-6 hours in the middle of the day and we don't have the budget for any type of skip-the-line pass here.

Because of that I'm curious to know what some folks think the best plan of attack is in order to hit up ALL seven of the coasters and some of the flats without wasting a lot of time waiting in lines (priorities are Black Widow, Bayern Kurve, Swing Shot, but I'm open to suggestions). Hoping to be there at opening, but that's not guaranteed.

So as long as its not rainy, we'll be at this park the Friday afternoon before Memorial Day weekend. We'll only be there for 5-6 hours in the middle of the day and we don't have the budget for any type of skip-the-line pass here.

Because of that I'm curious to know what some folks think the best plan of attack is in order to hit up ALL seven of the coasters and some of the flats without wasting a lot of time waiting in lines (priorities are Black Widow, Bayern Kurve, Swing Shot, but I'm open to suggestions). Hoping to be there at opening, but that's not guaranteed.

at the very least, they are all right next to each other. . . so I'd go: Black Widow, Swing Shot, then Bayern Kurve.

tho if you want to do Phantom's Revenge, add that one in FIRST.

when we went, we got in line for Phantom's Revenge as it hadn't opened yet and got a ride in very quickly once it opened, and then wen to Black Widow which still hadn't formed much of a line yet.

if you are planning to do Exterminator tho. . do that one either 1st or 2nd, as the line on that got LONG.. even on the slow day we were there.

I would do Bayern Kurve, Swing Shot, and Exterminator early, as they are all popular and low capacity, especially if Swing Shot is only running one arm (which is typical). Hopefully, Phantom and Thunderbolt will be running two trains on your visit, or else you may be waiting a while. The lines for Black Widow, Sky Rocket, Racer, and Jack Rabbit all move pretty fast, so you can ride those any time. Other flats I'd suggest are Kangaroo (only one in existence), Turtle (one of two in existence), Noah's Ark (only one in existence), and Auto Race (only one in existence). These all get very long, slow lines, but if you're pressed for time, you can skip them and ride them on another visit.

EDIT: Also, the Log Jammer is one of the best flumes around. If they're using both sides of the station, it's definitely worth the wait.

Good tips to know, and not being a cred whore I can live without Exterminator (though I of course would like the credit but will totally skip it for others) and I deff would want to try all the flats mentioned, seems like a unique collection of rides.

I don't plan to come back anytime soon so I need to get as many rides done in the day as possible.

^ Exterminator is well worth checking out, in my opinion. Even though it's a standard spinning mouse, the inside is maintained and the theming is a great compliment to the ride. If you arrive at the parking at opening and ride it early, the line will be pretty short.

Good tips to know, and not being a cred whore I can live without Exterminator (though I of course would like the credit but will totally skip it for others) and I deff would want to try all the flats mentioned, seems like a unique collection of rides.

I don't plan to come back anytime soon so I need to get as many rides done in the day as possible.

if you're able to stay late, the lines on the flats *even the super unique ones* got really short towards the end of the day.

we visited during a weekday, and really, the only thing with a line was Exterminator. (honestly, I HATED it, but the theming is well done, and my partner loved it. . . it's an indoors (DARK) spinning Mouse.

Jack Rabbit was by far our favorite ride in the park, but we loved the flume, Racer, Thunderbolt, Ghostwood Estates, Kangaroo (it looks so, so stupid, but man is it fun!), and even the Paratrooper was running a fun program. The Kennywood Whip was quite good too.

also don't miss Garfield's Nightmare. .a tunnel of love type ride, that's kinda hidden (you need to go up, and over a bridge to get to it).. quite fun with some nifty old time sets inside (in 3D!)

oh, and do NOT miss the Potato Patch fries (stand in front of Thunderbolt). . .just cheesy, bacony goodness!

if you're able to stay late, the lines on the flats *even the super unique ones* got really short towards the end of the day.

we visited during a weekday, and really, the only thing with a line was Exterminator. (honestly, I HATED it, but the theming is well done, and my partner loved it. . . it's an indoors (DARK) spinning Mouse.

Jack Rabbit was by far our favorite ride in the park, but we loved the flume, Racer, Thunderbolt, Ghostwood Estates, Kangaroo (it looks so, so stupid, but man is it fun!), and even the Paratrooper was running a fun program. The Kennywood Whip was quite good too.

also don't miss Garfield's Nightmare. .a tunnel of love type ride, that's kinda hidden (you need to go up, and over a bridge to get to it).. quite fun with some nifty old time sets inside (in 3D!)

oh, and do NOT miss the Potato Patch fries (stand in front of Thunderbolt). . .just cheesy, bacony goodness!

I can stay late as need be!

Yeah, I'm much more interested in the famous woodens and Revenge, I have zero issue skipping Exterminator and I expect I will, unless I've done all I wanted and there is no line then I'll hop on. Would rather ride, and hopefully reride, the famous coasters and flats anyway.

Cheesy and bacony?? Don't need to tell me twice!

If you can get there at 11 when the park opens head straight to black widow. Phantom and exterminator are usually not open right away so you have some time. Then hit Swingshot and Bayern Kurve. By that point Phantom should be running. Hit that, then Exterminator afterwards if you wish. Next hit Thunderbolt, then Racer and then Jackrabbit. Wrap it up with Skyrocket.

On an average day that circuit is 3-4 hours or less.

Exterminator is one of the park's hidden gems, in my opinion. It feels like a completely different ride than your standard spinning mouse. I'd highly recommend taking it for a spin.

Exterminator is one of the park's hidden gems, in my opinion. It feels like a completely different ride than your standard spinning mouse. I'd highly recommend taking it for a spin.

Good to know! I will deff try, (no good enthusiast can pass up a ride if they have the chance!)just I figured if something needs to be skipped that may have to be the one, but several have said everything in a day is very possible

Good to know! I will deff try, (no good enthusiast can pass up a ride if they have the chance!)just I figured if something needs to be skipped that may have to be the one, but several have said everything in a day is very possible

Yeah I concur it's amazing what darkness and a bit of themeing can do for a mouse, Exterminator is a really fun ride! But if it's down to a ride on Exterminator or a re-ride on Phantom's Revenge, go for the latter. That ride blew my socks off!

I was planning on skipping it if the line was too long - and I'm SO glad I didn't. I knew it was a spinning mouse in a box. But it was one of the most fun rides I've had in a long time. We spun like crazy, and with the pitch black/flashing lights...it was utterly insane. I'd compare it to Space Mountain - you feel like you're going a lot faster than you actually are. But the drops caught me off gaurd and our whole group was laughing hystarically. Can't wait to visit again!

Also, their Intamin frisbee can not get enough praise. I was upset to find out they took out a 2nd gen drop tower for it - but not after riding. The 3 minute long cycle was insane. Airtime was superb, and the location is perfect on the side of the hill. One of the best flats I've ever been on.

Also, their Intamin frisbee can not get enough praise. I was upset to find out they took out a 2nd gen drop tower for it - but not after riding.

Just to give credit where it's due, it's actually a Zamperla Giant Discovery. The spinning isn't my cup of tea, but I was real impressed by its intensity...the forces at full swing had me thinking, "holy smokes, this ride is wild!"

Nice, and I do love spinning rides. Yeah as it's been said, I'll aim for the cred but will sacrifice it for a re ride of a better coaster.

Thanks as always to TPR for the tips! I think I have a good attack plan for when I go now