TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I don't get it, isn't the Silly Symphony Swings what the people have been complaining the most about DCA? That it's juts a bunch of dressed up carnival rides? I personally have always liked DCA and welcome these changes, but the praise for some of this stuff is baffling (not here necessarily, just what I've seen in general across the Disney boards)

That said, I still definitely look forward to the enhancements all over the park.

Normally I'd agree a silly symphony swing is not that great of an addition but it does keep with the idea of keeping the boardwalk theme. Right now I'm taking a history of Animation class which has influenced my opinion on the theme. A closer look at the chairswings will reveal that it is not themed to Disney's silly symphony films in general, but is themed to just one, Band Concert. Band Concert is the first Disney film in which "the gang" Mickey, Donald, and Goofy appeared together.

Besides being a significant film in the history of Disney cartoons it also ends on a note that makes it particularly suited to the Spinning of the chairswings. At the end of the short a tornado appears and sucks up the entire concert while all the characters play on regardless.

I definately welcome the changes to Sun Wheel and Orange Stinger. It's true that a lot of people see these attractions as dressed up carnival rides but in retrospect so are Dumbo and Astro Orbitor and they are very popular rides.

I think there are more complaints about DCA's Paradise Pier rides not being "Disney" enough and this will definately satisfy some of those thoughts. I agree with Darkling when he says the pier has these rides to keep with a boardwalk theme. If you pulled out all of the "carnival" rides and replaced them with typical Disney dark rides or shows it would just lose that nostalgic feel.

I do feel, however, that Maliboomer should get the axe just for the fact that there's a great drop ride already in the park and if DCA is going with it's current plan, a nice shady place to rest is just what that area of the park needs. I think Maliboomer is the most out of place attraction in the park, if they had built it like the original concept art showed (with brown tree trunk towers and giant palm fronds at the top) then it would at least be interesting and a new "landmark" for DCA.

The park is adding enough new "non-carnival" type rides in the near future with Radiator Springs/Route 66, Ariel's Adventure, etc. so I say keep the spinners! All of this talk about the new rides almost makes you forget about world of color... that's just going to be epic.

Some of the rumours from the Disney blogs say that a lot of the Paradise Pier dressing up is only a modest quick fix for Phase I of the park's relaunch. Supposedly the budget for the major retheming of PP got pushed back to Phase II. DCA lacks rides in general and needs all the capacity they can for now with all the construction walls about to go up. Seems pretty certain that Maliboomer, Jumping Jellyfish and MM/Goofy's Flying whatever are gonners in Phase II, I imagine once plans get finalized even more of the carnival type rides will end up being removed/replaced.

I've read some people comparing Orlando's Tower of Terror to DCA Tower of Terror. Can someone explain to me why DCA version is 'bad tower'? I have only been on the DCA version, and I thought it was a pretty good ride. Am I missing something? Is the Orlando version like double the height or something?

I've read some people comparing Orlando's Tower of Terror to DCA Tower of Terror. Can someone explain to me why DCA version is 'bad tower'? I have only been on the DCA version, and I thought it was a pretty good ride. Am I missing something? Is the Orlando version like double the height or something?

1. DCA has no build up as you walk up to the attraction. You turn a corner and there it is. WDW you have to walk down a long street to get to the tower, that builds up anticipation.

2. DCA Tower dose not have the outdoor garden queue line.

3. The Boiler room in the DCA version looks very cartoonish compared to the WDW tower.

4. DCA has the Exit hallway that you have to walk across to get to the elevator.

5. DCA ride feels rushed and is missing the 5th dimension room.

I rode DCA's version for the first time last weekend and I have to say it does definitely feel rushed.

The second the ride starts the elevator moves backwards and "Rod Sterling" says something like "you are on a most on common elevator" and its just like Woah I guess so!

The only other reason it feels rushed is because the announcer is talking the entire time, in the WDW version there is very little talking. This is apparent when comparing the hallway scene. I haven't been on the WDW one for a few years, but I really only remember talking happening mostly when the doors are closed.

• 2 weeks later...

So what are they doing with the Maliboomer? Selling it to a local park by any chance? Or is it going to be relocated to WDW? The replacement Parachutes doesn't seem like much an improvement. Replacing one tower ride with another that is far less exciting and redundant? Does that mean Jumping Jellyfish is on it's way out too? Imo, I think it would be rather amazing to see a Huss Topple Tower in that space.

All in all, I think the new overall look is quite nice. Except for the giant Mickey head on the Sun Wheel. That to me is quite out of place with the new Victorian era look of PP. Maybe if they just did the outline and used the interior space as projection screens for the World of Color?

After reading the press releases I can't actually see a date that Disney are starting the removal/renovation work?

I've never visited DCA before and would like to before anything changes.

Can anybody suggest when would be the best time to visit?

^ There's no heavy construction at the moment, if you can get to the park before the end of the year, you'll probably see it with minimal changes. I think the real heavy construction begins in 2009. Stuff is being closed already though.

There's certainly a lot of changes going on here!

I visited DCA in it inaugural season, 2003, and once more in 2005.

I think the park really needs all of the changes that are proposed, and I especially love the Silly Symphony Swings!

Over the 3 times I visited, the only changes I saw were the removal of Superstar Limo & Millionare, and the introduction TOT & Bug's Land.

I think Bob Iger will turn this place around.