TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark Announces Fahrenheit!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This ride looks like it ought to be a lot of fun. I guess its too much to launch a coaster over the top hat and have it drop more than vertically, so supposedly having a vertical lift is the next best thing...For some reason I see them having issues with that (Intamin?).

You know, cause of their reputation...

^^You shouldn't take it so personally. As long as you like it that's all that matters, right?

I can't believe this!?!? Are you people seriously THAT disappointed with the ride? It's a 2700 ft long looping coaster that HAPPENS to have a beyond vertical drop. Gimmicky? I don't know. Is building a ride that has a train below the tracks that gimmicky these days? Beyond vertical drops seem to be the new trend, not a temporary gimmick. This coaster has the steepest drop in the nation, an inversion element never seen before in the country, and 4 other inversions to boot, and people are seriously this disappointed in the ride? Heck, the only reason why it's any shorter than the arrow inversion monsters from the late 80's is probably because it doesn't have an enormously long lift hill!

boggles my mind. But whatever. I'll end my rant. Bring on the criticism.

I completely agree with you and this is why I rarely post on here(Complaining about something so meaning less gets on my last nerve...done ranting). This ride looks amazing. At least they are adding stuff. I think it comes down to that people have been spoiled but look where it got most of the parks....they turned into trash with huge coasters. I'd rather go to a nice clean park with pretty good coasters and a BIG selection of rides like Hersheypark.

I don't think vertical lifts and beyond vertical drops will become standard... It is just Intamin trying to get a piece of the now-popular-type-of-coaster cake. And you can't blame them for doing so, but that doesn't make it a great or appealing coaster in my book.

You're making far too much out of this. Stand up coasters were a bad gimmick because they make the entire ride uncomfortable. Beyond vertical drops are just the natural extension of the trend towards having steeper drop angles. It's nothing more than that. Really it's *not* a big deal. You get a more intense drop, and that's it. Why don't you talk about the rest of the ride, which seems absolutely fine.

As someone who has a truly crappy home park (Kings Island), it amazes me that people whine about a park installing a decent looking Intamin.

I'm a little confused about people calling the Norwegian Loop an "all new element", or saying that it's "never been used in the U.S." Maybe it's just because I haven't ridden it, but how is it any different from the "Dive Bomb" maneuvers that SFMM's Flashback makes?

You turn to the side, dive, and come out going in the opposite direction.

Hell, it's not even all that different from any other type of twisting drop, such as the one on Phantom's Revenge:

Not trying to insult anyone, I just don't see what's so ground-breaking about the element.

And again, I'm not trying to bash Fahrenheit, I'm sure I'll find it to be a good, enjoyable ride, and I'm sure it will prove to be a very smart move on HP's part (making a moderate-sized, family-friendly kinda coaster with enough gimmickry to play well in advertisements), but it's just not what I am personally into.

While Disney will always trump all other parks in terms of theming, guest-service, cleanliness, and that certain magical, awe-inspiring je-ne-sais-quoi , it's more geared towards kids and families; IMO, HP is about as close to perfect as a coaster-oriented park can get - it's got some big rides for the enthusiasts, some small rides, it's clean, it's warm and inviting, there are lots of shows and attractions for families, etc. - but I'm still waiting for that one monster Hyper to put it over the edge.

I've never been on a vertical lift/beyone vertical drop coaster (none on the East Coast) so I'm not going to complain; I'm sure it will be a cool experience. This combo makes some sense in that it saves a lot of space (can't get more compact for a lift hill than straight up and straight down) and keeps the costs down by minimizing the use of steel which isn't cheap now and doesn't use a spendy launch system.

Call it what you want, but in the end it's going to be a great addition to the park. Now if only it had an old fashioned vertical loop......

Known in the industry as a “vertical lift inverted loop coaster,”

They just keep coming up with these wierd names. If I didn't see the pictures, I would think it was a SLC.

Looks like a good ride though, I may be taking a trip to PA this year, just waiting on Kennywood's announcement before I make that decission.

Lastly, (warning: I'm on my soapbox!) the way the "puzzle game" was played in the speculation thread left a sour taste in my mouth. HERCO should be ashamed at itself for creating "clicks". TPR does everything NOT to let this happen, and 95% of us are wonderful, funloving people. (OK, Kidtums is just damn adorable!) We are ALL enthusiasts here. Instead, HERCO "selects" a chosen few, (whether by luck, timing, or preference) to give them a "one up" on the issue, which also created arguements and personal attacks by the "not so mature". Sorry, but next time, if you want to give enthusiasts "one up" before the general public, send Robb an exclusive press release. (Soap box crushed)

^^You shouldn't take it so personally. As long as you like it that's all that matters, right?

Yeah, I know... and I'm slightly embarrassed about it. I guess it just gets annoying sometimes. I guess I'm generally a take-what-you're-given kind of guy, though I'm sure I've complained a few times. It's their opinion and oh well. I'm excited about it.

Lastly, (warning: I'm on my soapbox!) the way the "puzzle game" was played in the speculation thread left a sour taste in my mouth. HERCO should be ashamed at itself for creating "clicks". TPR does everything NOT to let this happen, and 95% of us are wonderful, funloving people. (OK, Kidtums is just damn adorable!) We are ALL enthusiasts here. Instead, HERCO "selects" a chosen few, (whether by luck, timing, or preference) to give them a "one up" on the issue, which also created arguements and personal attacks by the "not so mature". Sorry, but next time, if you want to give enthusiasts "one up" before the general public, send Robb an exclusive press release. (Soap box crushed)

They selected those who got involved in the game. It wasn't forced on anyone, but it was open to everyone. Plus, I think the REAL arguments were between those who believed HP3fan about already knowing what the coaster was going to be and those who didn't believe him. And that was ENTIRELY unrelated to Nantimi.

Uh, what?

This;

Is a Norweigan Loop. It is nothing like a twisting drop. Fahrenheit has this element as the first element after the drop.

I still fail to see how that's much different than a twisting drop - maybe to a greater degree, yes, but you're still pivoting to the side and falling towards the ground. I hate the way they're calling it a "loop", that's not a loop, in a loop, you're inverted; this is like when they call a helix a "horizontal loop".

On the stuck on the lift hill comment..

This ride has a special hybrid hydraulic chain lift. An electric motor runs a hydraulic pump, and the hydro pump moves the chain. If the chain gets stuck, they have a backup system (consisting of a generator and another pump) to move the chain over the hill.

There's a ton of things I'd like to address quickly.

What do they do when this ride gets stuck at the top of the lift?

^ You know.. that's a good question!! If I'm on the train and it stops on the lift.. I'm just going to start praying!

GIMMICKS

Who started the whole "gimmick" thing anyways? I think its great that Intamin and B&M and all of the other companies are always inventing new types of coasters.

I mean come on people.. THINK A LITTLE.. If you go back to the wooden coaster era and see a new steel coaster being built you'd say it was a gimmick! Then loops were gimmicks, then inverted coasters, then launched coasters, then vertical drops, then Dragster's, and then vertical lift.. basically.. EVERY coaster is a gimmick the parks add for one reason.. to get people to come to the park!

I love TPR and I've been reading Robb's reports longer than 95% of people on here! I have VHS tapes from 1997 from Robb! Stuff that he probably doesn't want anyone to see!

This whole rant about "cliques" or "clicks" or however they are spelled is just pointless. Anyone who thinks TPR doesn't have them must not pay much attention to TR's. I personally don't see what the big deal is. TPR has people that have the opportunity to go on a lot more trips and post a lot more reports and I consider them a click.. and I love it! If we didn't have the 15-20 people that are always posting some crazy things then there wouldn't be a whole lot going on this website! It's not really a big deal.

And as far as the whole "chosen few".. all we did was have fun solving clues and figuring out the mystery that surrounded the whole thing. No one "chosen" was expecting anything other than getting clues and having fun with the whole thing. I'm personally not going to feel guilty about it.

Eric

I know a lot of people on here are calling it a pretzel loop, but the way a pretzel loop on a flyer is taken is really much different. The only real similarity is the shape of the loop, but I think when you actually ride through the element it will actually feel more like a dive loop right into an immelman.

Rides looks great should be a lot of fun.

Here's a little off topic question. Why does it seem like all of Intamin's rides hit the brakes with so much energy left?

Why not just make the rides longer? I guess that decision would be up to the parks but, it just seems like a waist.

Cash is one reason. These coasters can get pricy. Just look at Dragster and Millennium. $25 million, and Dragster isn't even 30 seconds!

Another reason is space. And with Hershey, they don't exactly have miles of open plains to build on.