TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Wonderland just posted on Facebook that there will be a sneak peak at Starlight Spectacular at 10pm tonight!

Are you excited for the return of Starlight Spectacular? The show will feature brand new music, and 3D animated effects that are sure to dazzle your senses! You don't have to wait until tomorrow to check out the show though; see a sneak preview of Starlight Spectacular tonight (Friday June 22) at 10pm!

I hope someone's there with a camera.

Definetly hit up the rides that do not have Fastlane first. The Fly and Skyrider come to mind because they generally have long queues and are lacking Fastlane. I find the burgers at Coasters are pretty good along with the footlong hotdogs sold throughout the park. Also, many queues do not have shade so I would suggest wearing sunscreen and bringing a hat. Have fun!

A video of Starlight Spectacular has shown up! It's a bit dark though.

There's a new opening of the show (to replace the failure of the "Fireflies" scene), but the rest is pretty much the same with some tweaks. The dragon scene has been changed as the dragon now bursts through the falls part of the mountain. The squares/3D effects scene and the machinery/furnace scene are pretty much the same visually, but the music has been changed (IMO, this is the only change I don't like, it doesn't match). The ending has the same music but a bunch of visual changes. For one, the stars (which I had always thought was meant to poke at the former Paramount ownership) has been replaced by a coaster. "Happy 30th Birthday" has obviously been removed.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been following this thread -- sorry. There hasn't been many recent post, so I'm concerned. I wondered if anyone has ridden Leviathan and SkyRush at Hershey, how do they compare? I don't like SkyRush with it's Intamin QDC (quick direction changes). I'm not a fan of that (Maverick, I305), and found SkyRush rough after riding it 10 times over several days. I tried to like it, but it's just not for me.

I'm planning to make a trip to Canada in late August to visit the park (my first time) and compare the rides. Right now I'm really a B&M fan over Intamin new rides. That's why I'm hoping this wing-rider will be better. Also any good (reasonable) hotels nearby? I plan on making it a several day visit. Thnx.

That's why I'm hoping this wing-rider will be better.

Well Leviathan isn't a wing-rider sooo...

I thought it was a wing rider like Sky Rush. I guess I've got it wrong???

Yes, I'm a big B&M hyper fan, so I'm expecting to like it. I also thought I'd love Sky Rush as I said earlier. I guess it's an acquired taste that I didn't acquire while I was there for several days.

To anyone familiar with the park, how bad is CW for crowds? How much worse is it on weekends than on weekdays? I'll be heading up there in late August with a friend (finally! Been waiting years...seems like a good time for it now with Leviathan!), but it's going to have to be a long weekend. It looks like we'll have sat/sun/mon in the area, and we can probably afford to do two days there if we need to. I assume Saturday is the worst day, but how are crowds are Sundays and Mondays?

Also, anyone know of any really good deals for tickets?

Thanks!

If you're there on a crazy hot day, you'll probably do alright without FastLane. We had some VERY hot, sunny days a week or so ago and the park was not overly busy. Basically if it's a day where most won't want to be outside (TOO hot, rainy, etc), the park won't be too busy. I'm told that day the lines for Leviathan were as short as 10-15 minutes by the evening.

If you have the extra cash though, I would highly recommend FastLane. Even if the park is moderately busy, it will make a HUGE difference as most coasters have poor capacity. Other than Behemoth and Leviathan, lines don't move very quickly.

If you enjoy water parks, I would recommend purchasing FastLane, get a couple laps in on rides during the first hour the park is open. Get to Splash Works as soon as it opens. Lap the water park then head back into the park and take full advantage of cutting the lines.

Okay. I'm not usually one for Fastpass; it's not an issue of money, but I just don't like the whole basis behind it, people with more money getting to cut people who often just don't have it to spend in lines. But, I may have to swallow my pride and go for it this time; I'm not likely to get back there any time soon, and I'm taking a friend who doesn't get to get out much, and I want to make sure she has a great weekend. I'll see what weather and crowds are like when I get there, but it sounds like it's worth it. I want to make sure we get on everything there in the day and a half or so we have planned at the park, if at all possible. Thanks.

Okay. I'm not usually one for Fastpass; it's not an issue of money, but I just don't like the whole basis behind it, people with more money getting to cut people who often just don't have it to spend in lines. But, I may have to swallow my pride and go for it this time; I'm not likely to get back there any time soon, and I'm taking a friend who doesn't get to get out much, and I want to make sure she has a great weekend. I'll see what weather and crowds are like when I get there, but it sounds like it's worth it. I want to make sure we get on everything there in the day and a half or so we have planned at the park, if at all possible. Thanks.

Definitely buy the fast pass it is worth every penny. I did Cw for the first time used the fast pass and had a blast.

^^What pride?!? Come on, I am sick of these "I hate XXX where people with more money get better service". Go move to North Korea then. Everything on the planet has a 'you pay more, you get more'. Hotels, food, transportation, housing, cars, clothes, etc.

Seriously, buy the fast lane and you'll have a better day. Done.

^

I cannot stress how true this is. It's an extra service that you have the option to pay for or not pay for. In my opinion, it is well worth the money, especially at this park where it seems to be always busy (especially on a weekend). If you don't plan on coming back for a long time, or this is a one off type thing, it's in your best interest to get Fast Lane to ensure you get all of your credits.

^^What pride?!? Come on, I am sick of these "I hate XXX where people with more money get better service". Go move to North Korea then. Everything on the planet has a 'you pay more, you get more'. Hotels, food, transportation, housing, cars, clothes, etc.

Seriously, buy the fast lane and you'll have a better day. Done.

I'm sure this isn't going to be all that productive; it's been argued so much, I'm surprised there isn't a word replacement filter for FastPass yet. But...

The difference is, when you get a better hotel, you don't lower the quality of a cheaper hotel. They don't go and take the blankets off the cheaper hotel's beds if you want more in the expensive one. When you buy a more expensive car, they don't go take extra parts from the cheaper cars to build the luxury bits. Fly first class, you don't get extra food taken from the people in coach. Most extra services don't take anything from people not paying for it, or lessen their experience.

With Fastpass though, you get to cut other people in line, making -them- wait longer than they would have, even though they were in line first. It can be intensely frustrating to see someone just walk in front of you, and really put a damper on the mood, even if the overall difference in wait time isn't that significant.

I'm not saying it's a terrible, horrible, evil thing. I don't -hate- it, I don't get upset at other people using it, or make any sort of fuss about it at parks. I see the need for parks to pull in extra money with it. I just don't particularly like using it. I don't like being the one who cuts in front of someone who's been waiting an hour or more for a ride. That's all.

However, as much as I may not like it, it looks like it's going to be all but required to have a good time at CW, and I'm determined to make sure my friend has the best weekend possible, so I guess I'll be going with it. Maybe my opinion on it will change somewhat after I've used it...but I suspect I'll mostly just feel a bit guilty.

Yeah, I'm not going to argue much, but your argument is flawed...absolutely you can stay at the same hotel and the more expensive rooms mean you get treated better and get better quality stuff at the expense of the cheap rooms. Ever stayed on Concierge Floor? Or a 'Club Level'? Same principle.

With Fastpass though, you get to cut other people in line, making -them- wait longer than they would have, even though they were in line first. It can be intensely frustrating to see someone just walk in front of you, and really put a damper on the mood, even if the overall difference in wait time isn't that significant..

I've yet to be in the line for Leviathan for example and ever feel like I am waiting longer because of the Fast Lane guests. I am sure that it may add time to my wait, but I've never actually felt it. If operations are done right, which Wonderland has been good with so far, then the impact in minimal at most.

I won't argue any of the other points as it's kind of either a love or hate situation with any quick queue type service. I am for them 100% without issue.

Yes it does. If anything, it moves faster. They're able to get people off the ride faster as it's a shorter train and the exit is located in the middle of the platform. So even a full queue is typically around a 45 minute wait (if that).

More money? I barely have any money and buy line skippers a lot. If I know I am going to a park a few weeks in advance. I just put money aside from 3-4 pay checks and there it is, I have more than enough. But then again also I start putting money aside for parks in the summer right after Xmas so I can have a good park summer every summer.

Anyway...

I can not wait to make my first visit to Canada's Wonderland in 2 Sundays with TPR. Being there for Leviathon Bash as part of the Leviathon tour will be awesome!!