TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Drop Towers Re-Opening

Guest Papas

Giant Drop at SFGAm re-opened yesterday and was the first 2nd gen tower in the SF chain to open. Hopefully this means these will all be open up soon.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay!

Good to hear, that's one of my favorite rides at that park.

Maybe we can start a list of the 2nd Gen Towers that have reopened?

Open:

Giant Drop - SFGAm

PittFall - Kennywood

Giant Drop - Canada's Wonderland

FreeFall - Holiday Park

Hurakan Condor - PortAventura

Still Closed:

Giant Drop - Carowinds

Free Fall - Parque de Atracionnes Madrid

Blue Fall - Sea Paradise

Superman - SFKK

These are the only one's I know definite yes or no's...can anybody else help?

Fritt Fall @ Gröna Lund closed after the accident, but it opened again fairly quickly. BUT the standup, floorless, tilting car was closed week 27 (2nd-8th of July) with its cabled removes. I dont know if it was because of the accident at SFKK.

Yay!

Still Closed:

Giant Drop - Carowinds

Free Fall - Parque de Atracionnes Madrid

Blue Fall - Sea Paradise

Superman - SFKK

These are the only one's I know definite yes or no's...can anybody else help?

Carowind's is called Drop Zone, not Giant Drop.

Ok, dumb but legitimate question...

Why did the other parks close their respective towers in the first place? If the towers were all well and regularly maintained, had good safety records, and there wasn't a potential defect in the particular model each park owns, why not leave them open? This was an isolated, very unfortunate accident at one particular park on one particular ride.

For the record, what happened to the girl is just awful and no, I'm not callused. Just never understood the thinking behind these actions. I ask with GREAT care and respect.

Why did the other parks close their respective towers in the first place? If the towers were all well and regularly maintained, had good safety records, and there wasn't a potential defect in the particular model each park owns, why not leave them open? This was an isolated, very unfortunate accident at one particular park on one particular ride.

For the record, what happened to the girl is just awful and no, I'm not callused. Just never understood the thinking behind these actions. I ask with GREAT care and respect.

It's just a safety precaution to insure that what went wrong on that ride wont happen on another. Kind of like a safety recall.

TheRapidsNerd wrote:

It's just a safety precaution to insure that what went wrong on that ride wont happen on another. Kind of like a safety recall.

It just seems illogical to turn your ride off just because someone else did. Your ride isn't the one with the failure and hasn't indicated otherwise.

Hmmm maybe it's a publicity thing or lawsuit thing. Eh, better just for me to let it rest and not stir the pot. In the end, my heart goes out to the little girl.