TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Overrated coaster?

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure if I have posted this already, but Raptor and, as some people have already mentioned, Magnum.

I just didn't think there was anything that special about Raptor. I did enjoy Magnum, just didn't think it was anywhere near a top ten coaster.

I didn't think Raptor was special until I rode in the very front row. Raptor jumped up to tie Afterburn for my favorite invert when I decided to wait for the front versus going to a quick row. Raptor packs quite a punch in the front seat, the loop and corkscrews are awesome!

I think Steel Eel is both over-rated and under-rated at the same time. Under-rated because it's hardly ever talked about, and it's a good ride. But when people do talk about it, they talk about how amazing the airtime is. On the Texas trip we did ride right in the morning, but I didn't think it was all that. The MCBR was on VERY hard....it had some okay airtime, but once Great White opened, I went right to that. Eel didn't do it for me.

Let's see... Some coasters that I was excited to ride but they were huge let downs, and highly over rated...

Raptor - It was super rough, and just not as I had expected. It would be no where near a top 50 coaster for me.

Nitro - Don't even get me started on this coaster... I must have rode it on bad days or something, because it pretty much did nothing for me. Again, it would belong no where near a top 50 coaster for me.

Maverick - Maverick on certain days can just be a complete let down. Don't get me wrong it is a good coaster but IMO over rated.

Kingda Ka - 8 hour wait for a rough ride... No thanks.

MF - Everyone is always raving about how great of a coaster MF is... and I just don't get why. Sure the first drop is good, but thats about all. Again... No where near top 50 for me.

I could keep going, and going with this... But I am going to stop here for now. Maybe I will post some more of my most over rated disappointing coasters again some day!

~Matthew

^ I used to think MF was awesome, in fact it was my favorite coaster, but then I thought about and heard what other people had to say and after all the layout is rather repetitive.

Yeah, I used to have my own opinions, too. But now I just like what everybody else likes.

/Nothing personal. It just sounds...bad.

Well put Electerik, I've always wanted to be a lemming, while I'd also like to know thrillrideseeker's favorite coasters. (jp) I too was disappointed in some of the rides mentioned, for me anyways, I just wouldn't say "they were huge disappointments." How can Nitro disappoint, since it's probably the best B&M hyper out there - What were you expecting Matt? (no worries, it's all good, just asking a rhetorical question).

The most disappointing rides for me in no particular order is Mean Streak, Hercules, Great American Scream Machine (SFGA), Wild One, and to a lesser extent KK and Maverick. Being an ol' head, I rode all of these rides their very first season - Mean Streak and Hercules sucked from day one with minimal airtime or thrills (imo), GASM was rougher than hell from day one ruining the ride imo, while KK shakes far more than TTD, probably due to the OTSR, and Maverick's complete stop for the second launch just really destroys the ride's momentum imo. I did ride the Paragon Park version of Wild One as well, and let me tell ya, it was very good it's first season when SFA was a water park, but now - it SUCKS and has been neutered having NO resemblance to the ride Judy Garland once rode for an entire day. Shame.

And after some more thought, AC was a HUGE disapointment for me (anyway). With all the "hype" about it's airtime, I was hoping for more ejector air than floater. It's a good ride, just not a RoS. I guess that's what threw me off with your Nitro comment Matt, after AC, I was thrilled Nitro delivered what it did.

Maverick's complete stop for the second launch just really destroys the ride's momentum imo.

You got a complete stop ride? I haven't had one since 2007. All my rides in 08/09 were that slow down, then immediately launches.

(spoiler for those who haven't ridden Maverick!)

I liked it when the ride stopped completely, when all the effects of the train crash scene were working. I don't remember seeing it since '07. You'd slow down, then you'd hear and see the signs for a train coming, as well as some fog and blinking red lights. (Like a train crossing) Then you'd launch off, passing through more fog (steam from the train engine) and the hot lights of the train coming toward you, then you'd pop out of the tunnel.

Like I said, I haven't had that since opening year. I only remember the hot lights and maybe seeing the train crossing scene...

What do you expect? Not existant like Dragster's wheels and fins!

^ LMAO - no kidding. I miss Dragster's wheels and fins.

I didn't get to CP this past season, so it's been a while since riding Maverick. I think it's a great ride no matter what, but I'd prefer to keep the momentum, not stop or slow down at all and hit the second launch like Volcano. That's probably why I love Intamin so much - mid course brakes do nothing for me personally on any ride.

Yeah, I used to have my own opinions, too. But now I just like what everybody else likes.

/Nothing personal. It just sounds...bad.

Well, that and I rode El Toro. It's easy to get hyped up about a coaster if it's a record holder, but as I said, I thought about it, and it really is rather repetitive. I'm perfectly capable of forming my own opinions.

^ LMAO - no kidding. I miss Dragster's wheels and fins.

I didn't get to CP this past season, so it's been a while since riding Maverick. I think it's a great ride no matter what, but I'd prefer to keep the momentum, not stop or slow down at all and hit the second launch like Volcano. That's probably why I love Intamin so much - mid course brakes do nothing for me personally on any ride.

Gotcha. It's a slow down, but it's just for maybe one second. I bet you're a big fan of Millennium Force, then!

That's one reason why I like Goliath (SFOG) over Diamondback...DB has a midcourse..and it's harsh. Goliath is balls to the wall from start to finish!

That's one reason why I like Goliath (SFOG) over Diamondback...DB has a midcourse..and it's harsh. Goliath is balls to the wall from start to finish!

A lot of people have complained about that trim after the helix on Goliath. It reportedly can be quite harsh. I didn't have this experience though.

I thought about it, and it really is rather repetitive.

But aren't rides like Shivering Timbers, Balder, GeForce, etc. acclaimed for their repetitive awesome? I know a lot of the same on a coaster can be a bit tedious in some cases (Colossus' rolls, Goudurix' track, from what I've heard), but I wouldn't think that would be a universal reason to not like a ride. That said, I'm not trying to change your mind or anything. I can understand how people don't appreciate MF as much as others.

For me, I guess my most overrated ride was Batman: TR or (gasp) El Toro, both at SFGAdv. Batman obviously had lower expectations that ET, but that thing's forces really exacerbated a headache of mine and subsequently was deemed a disappointment. I'll need to try it again when I'm feeling normal. And as for ET, it's airtime wasn't *quite* as intense as I thought. It was still certainly ejector, and it was still certainly the best I've experienced. And ET is still my favorite coaster. I guess the bar was set just a bit too tall for it.

• 2 months later...

There are so many overrated roller coasters out there. I agree and disagree with Millennium Force, the first time I rode it I found it to be nothing short of a religious experience, but when I rode it again a few years later I found it to be Millennium Forceless. Having ridden it more since then I think it is just one of those rides where some days its great and other days its just okay. There are several coasters that I just don't get why people think they are so great. One that sticks out the most to me is Voyage, I was rather disappointed by the ride, I think that when I rode it I had such high expectations for it that I was let down, but I'll take Beast over it any day. Raven too was another ride that I didn't quite get, I think that the Legend is the best ride at Holiday World. Sheikra, I feel, lives and dies on a gimmick and not a very good gimmick at that.

Volcano, though probably in my top five coasters, has become a forgotten commodity to me. If the line is over 10 minutes it's not worth the wait when I can ride Anaconda with no line. Other than the launches, Volcano's flight around the mountain is rather to those who have previously ridden it. If you have not ridden Volcano, It is worth riding, just not waiting over 30 minutes for, which happens quite often.

Flight of Fear is overrated. Yes it has a 55 mph launch. In the dark. With four inversions. But age has not treated this coaster well. Other than the front row car, it is a rough son of a gun. It is fun but with a rib hurting cost.

Mick Doohan's Moto Coaster. Hyped up to be what riding a superbike is like (even went as far as full size replicas), once it leaves the launch and inital turn it slows down and just seems to idle around the course. Supposed to be a thrill ride, it is more thrilling driving to the park than what the ride is.

Hollywood Rip Ride Rockitt....for the longest time, I was super against this coaster. Bad location in the park, no true ties to theming, etc etc. However, as the ride was being built I got more and more excited about riding it, testing out the music, finding hidden tracks and so forth. So finally in December after a very wet Macy's Parade, I went through the single riders line and in 5 min i was sitting down. Going up the lift I was all excited then it hit me....boredom. Sure it was somewhat of a fun ride but it just didn't have that defining moment for me.

Since then, I made a promise (hope i can keep) that I wont get my hopes up about new rides. Just chill out and enjoy it when I get to ride. At least that is what I am planning for with WWOHP

Going Old School here - Coney Island Cyclone.

At one time, it probably was a decent twister, but like so many other rides on this thread, time just has taken it's toll on it. I really didn't see why this kept making it in the Top Tens year after year. (I suppose it was the "World's Most Famous" which grand-fathered it in.)

All i ended up with after the ride was a lighter wallet and some heavy bruising! "reride ony $5.00 - yeah, I'll drown my sorrows in another Nathan's meal instead, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
I thought about it, and it really is rather repetitive.

But aren't rides like Shivering Timbers, Balder, GeForce, etc. acclaimed for their repetitive awesome? I know a lot of the same on a coaster can be a bit tedious in some cases (Colossus' rolls, Goudurix' track, from what I've heard), but I wouldn't think that would be a universal reason to not like a ride. That said, I'm not trying to change your mind or anything. I can understand how people don't appreciate MF as much as others.

For me, I guess my most overrated ride was Batman: TR or (gasp) El Toro, both at SFGAdv. Batman obviously had lower expectations that ET, but that thing's forces really exacerbated a headache of mine and subsequently was deemed a disappointment. I'll need to try it again when I'm feeling normal. And as for ET, it's airtime wasn't *quite* as intense as I thought. It was still certainly ejector, and it was still certainly the best I've experienced. And ET is still my favorite coaster. I guess the bar was set just a bit too tall for it.

I got a huge headache from El Toro too (presumably the ending section caused it), but it was still an amazing/outstanding ride. I felt like hell after, but the majority of the ride was so good that I couldn't discount it because of a headache.

For me, it's The Beast at Kings Island, no question. When I finally got a chance to ride the coaster that so many have raved about last summer, I was very excited and expecting a rollicking tear through the woods. After the ride hit the final brakes, I was considerably underwhelmed overall. In fact, were it not for the ending double helix that was quite awesome, I would've said the coaster was only slightly above average. As it is, I still liked the 3 laps I took on it (and YES, that included a night ride - I honestly saw no real difference other than a slightly cooler experience in the pitch black trip into the woods), but I was left wanting far more from the longest wooden coaster in the world.

Was it a good coaster? Yes. A great coaster? Not really. Did it live up to the incredible hype it's given by some? Not even close. That to me is the definition of an overrated coaster. Here's a thought, and honestly this was my biggest gripe with it, ditch the stinking trims and let this coaster live up to its name! The pacing over the first drop and following hill is butchered by them....and I for one cannot stand a trim on the FIRST drop of a coaster....pure silliness!