TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Most Overrated coaster?

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kumba was a bit of a let down based on some reviews (ie. the coaster critic). I didn't see much of the lush tropical jungle it went through. It was still a fun ride nonetheless, but I was expecting it to be a big step up from Kraken, which I thought it was not.

Farenheight at Hershey Park when I saw this thing about 2 years back people we're like calling it amazing so I was really hyped about it. The line was like 2 hrs long and to add to that it was 80 degrees out. On the ride excited and all the first hill was awesome but that one inversion that everybody said was awesome was meh and the rest of the ride from the first drop is just plain boring.

I'm going off the beaten path and say "The Bat" at Lagoon Amusement Park. I thought it was going to be cool because it was their 1st suspended ride but it goes almost as slow as Puff the Little fire dragon, I mean come on its a family ride and it sucked balls, I don't even the kids don't like it.

I don't really have one. I have a TINY coaster count at 32, and most stuff I've been on is pretty good. I'm not gonna count TTD because it gets bashed so much it's not even worth it. Also, MF was a little rough for me the past year. I'm not seeing where people think it's smooth...

I have a few to list off here.

Millennium Force. Before the first tunnel is great. Crazy speed, big drop (although I say the drop is very over rated as well) intense Gs. After the tunnel is a total snooze fest. the ending after the second tunnel is fine. The only air on the whole ride after the first drop unless its a cold day and you are hanging in the overbanks. Millennium Forceless in my book.

The Beast. I always underrate this ride because I feel it is overrated. I do always enjoy it, but those trims really are killer. My biggest gripe is the trim before the second drop. Why is that necessary? When it had the skid brakes that drop was trimmed, but still awesome, but I don't see why they need to trim it there at all. Perhaps back when the ride had buzz bars the air was too much, but not in the staple happy trains we have these days. When they switched over the magnetic trims is when they destroyed that drop. Overall, the ride doesn't do much besides run around in the woods. It's fun, it's unique, but it's not amazing.

Kingda Ka: It's rough, and it's all kinds of janky. The restraints are wrapped in electrical tape, the fiberglass is all cracked on the trains, and there are even chunks missing from them. The brakes are rusting, and a substantial amount of them are crooked and/or don't move properly. I can't enjoy the ride experience after observing all of the poor maintenance that can be seen, and then they launch you after the killer wait for a 2 train operation for a five second ride on a jack hammer. I'll stick to Dragster thanks.

• 1 month later...

Terminator Salvation: The Ride.

Good: I loved the pre-show. I'm definitely among those who think that riders should only be required to watch it once per day if lines are short, but the show itself I really enjoyed.

There is airtime, especially towards the beginning.

Questionable: I just didn't think the ride was very interesting or exciting. I've thought about why, since the ride is so popular that I have to wonder if my opinion is misguided.

--Perhaps it's because I love airtime. I do still appreciate it in small amounts like I found on Terminator, but only higher amounts will really earn praise from me. For this reason, twisters just don't do much for me, unless there is a lot of airtime.

--Perhaps I need to ride it more. I'm generally pretty good at forming a reasonable opinion after only one ride, but I often feel that I didn't notice things that I "should" have, and that taking the time to notice them later would increase my appreciation for a ride.

As I concretely recall, though, the ride was fun, but nothing memorable.

I also didn't "get" Batman: The Ride at SFMM, and I'm in the tiny minority here as well. (I do like inverts, so I'm looking forward to riding the original at SFGam and the mirror image at SFStL. I'm sure they'll help me get a better feel about what SFMM's Batclone "should" have felt like, although I'll still rate and rank them as separate credits.) In this case, I feel that perhaps I didn't appreciate the ride much because it features the most "generic" gimmick of all the B&Ms there. Floorless, flying and stand-up coasters are all less common than inverts. SFMM is a shining example of B&Ms being "all the same", although I still felt they were all solid rides. Batman was simply the least memorable. Again, I strongly believe I need to ride it more. I rode it right after eating lunch and also had to witness it go through technical difficulties, so perhaps my mood was somewhat "off".

I think I got a few...

Superman: Ride of Steel / Six Flags America- I was expecting a decent ride with some strong quality Intamin air. What I got was a rough and forceless experience. I do hope my next trip during the summer will have a better ride compared to the cold spring day I rode it in.

Batman: The Ride / SF Great Adventure- Didn't like it. It hurts my legs and it's getting rough.

El Toro / SF Great Adventure- I love this ride, I really do. It's still my #4 favorite coaster as of now. But really, it's not the *BEST* wooden coaster like almost everyone says. The drop is amazing and airtime is fun an all, but still. It lacks a certian "classic" quality since it feels like a steel coaster. Probably shouldn't be on the list, but I think it deserves it!

I thought California Screamin' was pretty overrated. The launch really isn't that intense, and there isn't very much airtime aside from the little drop before the loop.

*Warning: Screamin' Fanboy response coming up* Did you ride it in the front row? There's actually a pretty decent moment of air at the top of the first hill in the front row. ...and if you try to stand up, there's somewhat decent air on the bunny hops. But that's also mainly in the front row.

Coming from a guy whose home park is Six Flags St. Louis, MF blew me away! Holy Crap, airtime is great, but the speed is what I loved about it.

For me, the most overrated coaster is The Raven... It's fun, but I don't know how it ever had world's best ranked wooden coaster...

--Perhaps it's because I love airtime. I do still appreciate it in small amounts like I found on Terminator, but only higher amounts will really earn praise from me. For this reason, twisters just don't do much for me, unless there is a lot of airtime.

You are not alone in this thinking.

I thought California Screamin' was pretty overrated. The launch really isn't that intense, and there isn't very much airtime aside from the little drop before the loop.

*Warning: Screamin' Fanboy response coming up* Did you ride it in the front row? There's actually a pretty decent moment of air at the top of the first hill in the front row. ...and if you try to stand up, there's somewhat decent air on the bunny hops. But that's also mainly in the front row.

Agreed. Screamin' in the front row is AWESOME! The airtime in the back seat though, getting shot up the first hill floats you at the top, then yanks you down the hill!

Definately a 'less intense' version of Maverick.

Overrated...I'd have to say Tower of Terror at Dreamworld AU. I thought the Intamin reverse freefalls would be good, but they really weren't anything special. Only when my lap bar was off my lap did I feel the "several seconds of 0 g's"

I had a really good ride on Screamin' last weekend. Don't know if it was running without trims (doubt it) but it gave a noticeably more forceful ride than I've experienced since they added them. It was booking it over the bunny hills. Might have been an anomaly ride or something, who knows.

• 11 months later...

Superman: Krypton Coaster didn't particularly impress me, although I loved the setting and the zero-g roll. I always heard it was one of the best floorlesses, but it was fairly mild. It's still a top-30, 7/10 coaster for me, though.