TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Rumor / Crazy Idea Superthread

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else from the midwest excited about the possibility of HFEC snatching up Frontier City? According to a somewhat verified rumor on frontiercity411.com that was noted on Screamscape, HFEC might have put in a bid for the park.

There's a lot of potential for the place. I only went twice this year, but it feels like they had a fairly lack-luster summer, but ended the year with strong attendance during their fright fest event. Clearly, people were willing to come out to the park, but the lack of quality water rides on these hot summer days is a critical issue for the park. A splash battle or CC's old Mack supersplash would do the place wonders.

I felt that PARC was doing a surprisingly good job refurbishing the park, but they didn't have time to really hit full steam. They repainted everything, improved the quality of the park's various performances, and did some major refurbishments on a couple of rides, but to truly be effective the park needs some major refurbishments of the Wildcat and the log flume. Both of these rides have horrible capacity/operations due to odd set-ups that minimize capacity. This really hurts the park because these are easily the crowd favorites, but even a small crowd can mean half-hour waits. On the rare busy nights you can just forget about getting on them.

I could go on and on about this, but I don't want to get too excited yet. HFEC has bid on the park before when SF was selling off multiple properties, but ended up backing out. I feel like they're in a good position to grow though, having been conservative with funding projects during the recession while retaining good attendance. They did end up shuttering CC, but that entire take-over seemed to be more of an effort to stop competition with SDC anyway, and by the time they sell of the land or open a new attraction in that location the ordeal shouldn't hurt the company too much...

Does anyone know how much WA has grown attendance wise since the HFEC take-over? That could be a big clue into how much they're willing to expand again.

^

The guy from Mack I talked to said a park in California bought a model, not Pennsylvania.

Plus he said it would not be announced soon, meaning it'll be awhile. (Not in the next year)

So I doubt it's a Mack. Sorry.

--James

I got thinking of that, and it has to be Knott's...they already have a Mack spinner, so it must be where it's going, I think anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

I came across this on another site and thought it was a cool concept. It is a new way to design a 4D coaster and in my opinion looks like a great solution and would save a lot of $ in material costs.

LINK REMOVED

ADMIN EDIT: As per our Terms of Service, the link you posted had to be removed. Until you have at least fifty legitimate posts on the forums, you are not allowed to post links to outside websites.

Edited by jedimaster1227

I came across this on another site and thought it was a cool concept. It is a new way to design a 4D coaster and in my opinion looks like a great solution and would save a lot of $ in material costs.

Besides the fact that this guy is really creepy, it's an amazing and innovative idea, but it has a far way to reality from those models.

Details are sketchy, but look for a new combination waterpark/hotel/outlet mall to be built on an old tornado destroyed site in Stroud, Ok. off of 1-44 (Yeah turnpike fee to get there!!!) The developer is trying to finalize a land deal with the tribe that owns the land, which, shouldn't be too hard if they want the money and rid of a piece of property that's been less than profitable and a thorn in their side for quite sometime. I would look for an official announcement and additional details within the next 120 - 150 days

Hot off the presses, MTO owners are planning for a huge new attraction for the summer of 2011. What do you think it should be? Think bigger than Six Flags.

Our apologies! The Owners of Mt. Olympus are planning on adding a new attraction in the summer of 2012 - not 2011 as was previously posted. So THINK BIG and let the ideas FLY!! We're listening!

http://www.facebook.com/mtolympuspark

Lets all just hope it isn't yet another upcharge

Just got back from TRON: Legacy....

Let me be the first to say...

A Disney Attraction Isn't Far Behind.

This movie was made to become a ride, and I've been told by several cast members, that a TRON attraction is in the works, and that if the movie does well, (trust me when I say YES) that will be the green light for an offical announcement...

Look at ElecTRONica! Is it not meant for the movie's hype? I've heard it's been quite popular...

The word Lighcycles has been thrown around, people saying it would be the only fitting way to experience the TRON Universe.

The words Vekoma have come to the minds of most, but, I have a different idea.

There is rumored to be a MACK Launcher coming to SoCal within the next few years. When do Disney, and long term planning not go together?

Then again, Sea World has had the "Project Reef Runner" in the works for quite a few years now...

-SoCal "Spinning the rumon mill round and round" Coasters

But one thing that I can't deny is that TRON is going to appear in a Disney Park in the future.

This movie was made to become a ride, and I've been told by several cast members, that a TRON attraction is in the works

While I'm not opposed to the idea, I wouldn't rely on cast members for reliable news regarding the parks... I was once told by a self-proclaimed "in-the-know" cast member that Epcot's next major attraction was a launched coaster involving Stitch that would, and I quote him, "go real fast."

Just because they work there, doesn't mean they are in the know...

Edited by jedimaster1227

While I'm not opposed to the idea, I wouldn't rely on cast members for reliable news regarding the parks... I was once told by a self-proclaimed "in-the-know" cast member that Epcot's next major attraction was a launched coaster involving Stitch that would, and I quote him, "go real fast."

Just because they work there, doesn't mean they are in the know...

This is very true. My last job at Disney had it's offices in the "Imagineering Campus" of buildings. I would go eat lunch at "Figment's" and you'd overhear the craziest stuff. Even the people who were working on some of the actual theme park projects weren't always "in the know."

The only person that is really "in the know" on any project related to any theme park is the project manager who commisions the work to get done and paid for. And even then sometimes things can get cancelled mid-development.

--Robb

The entire conversation about any new Tron attractions may be rendered moot if Tron: Legacy continues to underperform.

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - "Tron: Legacy," a costly 3D sci-fi movie that Walt Disney Co has promoted for more than three years, took the top spot at the North American box office, but with a disappointing weekend haul of $43.6 million, according to estimates issued by the company on Sunday.

Industry observers had been expecting a three-day start in the $50 million range. As openings go this year, the massively hyped sequel to an obscure 1982 movie failed to crack the top-10, and observers have said it will need to rely on strong overseas business to break even.

According to reports, the effects-laden update cost $170 million to make, and more than $100 million to market worldwide. Disney, despite being a public company, is the only studio that refuses to divulge budgets. A studio executive was not immediately available for comment.

Critics trashed the film, which has occupied the attention of two Disney studio regimes in recent years. Jeff Bridges returns to the film as a videogame developer trapped in a virtual environment called the Grid. It marks the feature directing debut of commercials veteran Joseph Kosinski.

The studio, whose live-action pictures are overshadowed by the hit cartoons from its Pixar division, is looking to launch a franchise to take over from its popular "Pirates of the Caribbean" series. Just as the buccaneer theme-park attraction seemed an unlikely basis for a film series, so does "Tron," which appealed only to boys. This time, the studio aimed the film at men and women of all ages.

Disney has been offering tantalizing glimpses to movie fans at the annual Comic-Con convention since 2008, and has raised the heat in recent months with cross-marketing efforts across its theme parks, consumer-products and television wings.

I have read that their is gonna be a theme park called Alien Apex Resort located in Rosewell, New Mexico. I have looked up info but havent come across any real details. Does anyone have any info about this place cause I would love to learn more and find out when it opens. I really believe that aliens are real, call me crazy, but their out there lol

Mod Edit: Moved your thread into here as this project is not confirmed at this time.

Edited by ernierocker

A quick Google searched turned up this.

Because theme parks and thrill rides are a popular attraction for tourists and adrenaline junkies, the Alien Apex resort plans hope to capture the interest of the regular stream of tourists who visit Roswell, as well as any traveler interested in an out-of-this-world destination. The park is currently in the initial planning stages and few details have been released - suspense, after all, is a key ingredient in alien encounters. It is thought that the park will be between 60 and 80 acres in size when it first opens, with land available to expand up to 150 acres as the park grows. In addition to family rides, themed restaurants, and other small amusement park attractions, key features of the park will include:

Alien Abduction - The Ride, an extreme roller coaster that incorporates animatronic figures and special effects to simulate an alien abduction.

A detailed exhibit hall highlighting the scientific exploration of the universe and the search for extra-terrestrial life.

An evening show called The Symbiosis that blends fireworks, special effects, and an original musical score to recreate the famed Roswell Incident.

By the time the park opens - tentatively stated as no sooner than 2010 - who knows what other fantastical rides and attractions it may offer, but alien and coaster enthusiasts alike can be assured that it will be an experience unlike any other.

Also, this post on a message board from March of 2007.

It looks like the alien apex resort is one step closer to becoming a reality. New Mexico state legislature recently approved $245,000 for a business plan on the planned resort and theme park. Once a business plan is done then it will be submitted to investors for funding. This will bring more changes to the already changing southeastern New Mexico. The resort will be designed for all ages which will include, major rides(roller coasters), interactive learning centers, research centers. a possible ampitheater, hotels/motels, restaurants, nightly shows and much more of that entertaining stuff. The website is almost complete at http://www.alienapexresort.com

This is getting worldwide attention..just do a google search on roswell theme park and see all the hype going on..

That website linked to in the post is long since dead.

Also, there is an interview posted here, on the appropriately titled "Fool.com" with the founder of this park. Looks like its fated for doom.

Edited by let1gre

New B&M launch coaster at Thorpe Park in 2012 ?

Source : www.parkworld.be/nl/201012231107/pretparkennieuws/thorpe-park-pakt-uit-in-2012

On the official fanpage website it was reveiled that 2012 will bring a new coaster to Thorpe. Project name : LC2012.

According to parkworld.be, it is a public secret that B&M made a 3 coaster/park deal with Merlin. Heidepark and Gardaland will get theirs next year, so it might very well be that Thorpe will get the 3rd B&M. The LC in the project name might stand for Launch Coaster, which might mean the first launched B&M 4D coaster.