TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread

P. 115: Ratatouille Opening Oct. 1 - Confirmed!

Early morning hours? Staying off properity this go around.....but:

- showed up at 8am for a 9am opening for the GP

- walked up with the crowd to see what I can find out about (possibly) talking my way in for the early opening for WDW hotel guests

- I was asked, "which hotel are you staying?" and replied "Swan"

- with that, I got a "thank you" and was allowed into the park?

Is that common? Isn't there some sort of verification process?

Wow, really??? You did this??? What an a$$hole. The verification process is that they are actually putting some trust in people not to crash the morning EMH sessions. It's people like you that will make it so they have to put more rules and restrictions into place at the parks.

Oh, and you're banned from our forum.

This happens WAYYYY more than youd think. Having used to be a CM at the gates we experienced this quite often, and would usually just let the party inside instead or creating a scene and arguing. Never really saw it as a big deal.

Back when you had to show a room key there were a lot of people who would show keys to off property hotels and the "Disney Good Neighbor Hotels" or whatever they're called now. If it was just a few minutes after the regular park hours ended and there wasn't a line at the attraction seems like we usually did the same thing to avoid creating a scene and holding up other guest from getting in line but if the same party tried repeatedly we had to turn them away. there wasn't a line at the attraction seems like we usually did the same thing to avoid creating a scene and holding up other guest from getting in line but if the same party tried repeatedly we had to turn them away.

Seems a bit unfair on the people who have probably spent years saving for that once in a lifetime trip in a Disney hotel including the perks of early entry especially by rewarding people who are intentionally breaking the rules.

My wife and I always talk about doing Florida but we don't think we could afford Disney hotels for our family and that puts us off a little since we feel with the only 2 weeks we get off being the busiest in the calendar year, so on top of huge queues, prices will be highest for hotels and airplane etc... fastpass+ and early reservation (for example be our guest) is something we would definitely need. If we ever do reach that point where we could do a Disney hotel for those perks and i'm talking 10 years of putting every little bit away it'd be really, really disheartening to see anyone walking in after all that saving "to avoid a scene."

I mean, I know there will always be people who break the rules intentionally and be horrible if you call them out on it (look at my last Everland TR) but it seems a big difference between people cutting in line and smoking anywhere compared to going into what is essentially almost a private event. You wouldn't be allowed in the fast pass line without a ticket and I doubt a group would be allowed on if they used the single rider line even if you caused a scene in public so I'm not sure why this is different.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn it into such a lengthy rant.

Edited by Garet
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just because you don’t think it is good, it doesn’t mean the rest of the visiting majority agrees with your opinion. But I guess that’s the beauty of numbers... Everyone is entitled to their own opini

EPCOT is about one thing: making money for Disney. Does Guardians make money? *Glances at box office returns* Why, yes. Yes it does. Case closed.

I think “terrible” is a matter of perspective. Also understand that the person you’re debating this with has a long-proven admiration of Epcot in its classic form... Just look up Epcot’s 25th annivers

Posted Images

The inclusion of apricots in this dish would make my Dad, who used to grow this fruit, happy.

thumb_img_2872_3.jpg

- walked up with the crowd to see what I can find out about (possibly) talking my way in for the early opening for WDW hotel guests

Wow, really??? You did this??? What an a$$hole. The verification process is that they are actually putting some trust in people not to crash the morning EMH sessions. It's people like you that will make it so they have to put more rules and restrictions into place at the parks.

This happens WAYYYY more than youd think. Having used to be a CM at the gates we experienced this quite often, and would usually just let the party inside instead or creating a scene and arguing. Never really saw it as a big deal.

there wasn't a line at the attraction seems like we usually did the same thing to avoid creating a scene and holding up other guest from getting in line but if the same party tried repeatedly we had to turn them away.

Seems a bit unfair on the people who have probably spent years saving for that once in a lifetime trip in a Disney hotel including the perks of early entry especially by rewarding people who are intentionally breaking the rules.

My wife and I always talk about doing Florida but we don't think we could afford Disney hotels for our family and that puts us off a little since we feel with the only 2 weeks we get off being the busiest in the calendar year, so on top of huge queues, prices will be highest for hotels and airplane etc... fastpass+ and early reservation (for example be our guest) is something we would definitely need. If we ever do reach that point where we could do a Disney hotel for those perks and i'm talking 10 years of putting every little bit away it'd be really, really disheartening to see anyone walking in after all that saving "to avoid a scene."

I mean, I know there will always be people who break the rules intentionally and be horrible if you call them out on it (look at my last Everland TR) but it seems a big difference between people cutting in line and smoking anywhere compared to going into what is essentially almost a private event. You wouldn't be allowed in the fast pass line without a ticket and I doubt a group would be allowed on if they used the single rider line even if you caused a scene in public so I'm not sure why this is different.

Don't let not being able to afford a Disney property be the reason to keep you away from the parks. You can find VERY reasonable hotels in the Orlando and if you have a larger family I suggest VRBO or Air BNB in Orlando. You can also save money skipping the meals plans, the food is very meh and the cattle herding style of some of the restaurants is off-putting. Airfare will be your biggest expense!

there wasn't a line at the attraction seems like we usually did the same thing to avoid creating a scene and holding up other guest from getting in line but if the same party tried repeatedly we had to turn them away.

I'm not saying it was "right" but again if the park closed at 6pm and someone tried to get in line at 6:02 when the ride was a walk on It wasn't that big of a deal to let them in line for one more ride then turn them away after that. And at that time more often than not people were honestly unaware of the EMH more so than intentionally trying to break the rules. It wasn't like hundreds of people trying to intentionally break the rules, it was like a family trying to get in line before the que closed that missed it by a few minutes, that's the situation where it was easier to "avoid a scene", everyone gets one more ride since there wasn't a line to begin with, everyone has a good day.

^ Sorry my post was more aimed at the letting people in for early entry and people you talked about who would intentionally show keys they know don't entitle them to rides than people who've just missed the cut off. Accidentally cut the wrong bit out of the quote will change it now.

^^ Good to know, our son is 50 days old so we have plenty of time to start saving. HKDL will probably be his first since it's my wife's favorite for families. We both love TDS but we'll wait until he's a bit older for that. HKDL always seems to be the easiest for us when we've visited, outside of Autopia and the parachutes we've never had to wait more than 15 mins for a ride or to meet and greet a character so we think it'd be ideal for a young toddler in a few years.

Don't let not being able to afford a Disney property be the reason to keep you away from the parks. You can find VERY reasonable hotels in the Orlando and if you have a larger family I suggest VRBO or Air BNB in Orlando. You can also save money skipping the meals plans, the food is very meh and the cattle herding style of some of the restaurants is off-putting. Airfare will be your biggest expense!

I was gonna suggest the Hilton in Disney Springs -- it's where we stay when we go.

tho not "Disney Branded" it IS considered a Disney Hotel, and you get all the perks of it: Disney Store in the lobby, purchases made in the park shipped to your hotel for you, extra magic hours, character breakfast, etc. . (in addition to the free shuttle to/from the parks).

and the cost really is much less than a Disney Branded hotel, although it's up there for a typical Hilton.

still reasonable tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Uk2LOLKSNY

Go to 8:40... I wish this music still ruled the finale of the ride.

I know this is seriously unrealistic, but I noticed the vacation club lounge on the second floor of the pavilion (those props better not be rotting behind it still. ). I would love to see Disney go in the bottom floor and just gut it. 100%. Then start again and rebuild the original ride with a more reliable ride system. Make the animatronics top notch and bring the scenes back with a modern twist. I honestly think it would be Epcot's best ride next to Test Track and Frozen.

Yeah as much as I would love to see that happen I don't see them doing much of anything with that attraction unless they were to develop a new movie based around Figment or something first to justify the project.

^ Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Beautiful photo, by the way. And I like the visual idea, that the escape route to

"The Future" is closed, so you are unable to escape The End. And there it is, yes!

^ Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Beautiful photo, by the way. And I like the visual idea, that the escape route to

"The Future" is closed, so you are unable to escape The End. And there it is, yes!

perfect!

I'm sick of Disney making every new ride have to do with one of its franchises. The Maelstrom was a fun ride and actually carried out the purpose of teaching people about Norway. Now the Frozen ride has completely taken away any educational purpose. The movie did not even specifically take place in Norway! I think this ride belongs in Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom. Not in a place meant to represent the cultures of other countries, because this ride does not. And rumors are swirling that Disney also intends to convert Ellen's Energy Adventure into a Guardians of the Galaxy themed attraction. This will also remove all educational purpose from the ride. What they are doing here is taking away the purpose of Epcot. If they wanted to attract crowds, they should've just renovated the Maelstrom.

I believe that the thousands of people that were waiting in line for it each time we rode it last week would disagree with you.

Mealstrum was a great ride, but it had run its course. I hate to hear the uproar next year when they replace universe of energy.

Btw...balloons were spotted floating above uoe this morning, so it's days are numbered.

Universe of Energy was absolute trash in EPCOT's best days. Even now in its least offensive variation, it is still hilariously ignorant (the global warming stuff is LOLtastic) and for the overwhelming majority, boring. Good riddance.

I'm sick of Disney making every new ride have to do with one of its franchises.

I know, right? How DARE Disney capitalize on their own properties and feature some of the more popular iconic characters the company has come up with in decades in their parks. What a terrible, TERRIBLE thing to do.

Seriously, your rant is so incredibly stupid it boggles my mind. Here's an idea for you... if you don't like what the parks have become, DON'T VISIT THEM! We would all be very happy without people like you complaining about everything the park does.

We rode Frozen again tonight and the ride is just FANTASTIC! It's so much better than Maelstrom and absolutely a wonderful use of that space. I don't even see how anyone could go into all that new doubly expanded Norway area and say it doesn't fit in, because it fits perfectly into what was there before so much that it feels like it's been there forever.

Here's a protip! We got in line right before the park closed at 9pm tonight. It was sign posted 60 minutes. We got in line at 8:57 and we were boarding our boats at 9:18. Only a 21 minute wait! So if you want to avoid the crowds and longer lines, just go right when the park is closing!

Edited by robbalvey

I'm just saying that the entire purpose of EPCOT was to be and educational park that at the same time was fun. If Disney keeps adding franchise themed rides its kind of ruining that purpose. Just stating my opinion.

I'm just saying that the entire purpose of EPCOT was to be and educational park that at the same time was fun. If Disney keeps adding franchise themed rides its kind of ruining that purpose. Just stating my opinion.

The entire purpose of EPCOT was to be a fulling functioning city with 20,000 people living in it. It's not as if they were ever staying true to the original vision of the place even with the educational focus.

The education focused mantra of the 1980s just isn't sustainable today. Disney need to keep evolving their parks to keep the majority of their paying customers coming back - IP is the way to do that in today's day and age. From everything I've seen of the Frozen section in Norway they've done a really great job of marrying up the IP with the country, surely it's a win for everyone?

The entire purpose of EPCOT was to be a fulling functioning city with 20,000 people living in it. It's not as if they were ever staying true to the original vision of the place even with the educational focus.

The education focused mantra of the 1980s just isn't sustainable today. Disney need to keep evolving their parks to keep the majority of their paying customers coming back - IP is the way to do that in today's day and age. From everything I've seen of the Frozen section in Norway they've done a really great job of marrying up the IP with the country, surely it's a win for everyone?

I meant its original purpose as a theme park. And I realize that this was a smart business decision. I'm just not very happy with the outcome. If you go over to the WDW Magic forums, you'll find a lot of people have the same point of view as I do.

Yeah, but you can still leverage I.P. in an edu-tainment setting. Futuroscope is a wonderful example of that.

^^I get your opinion, I don't agree with it, but I do see where people are coming from but lets be honest Epcot just isn't the same park it once was. At one time it was a really unique model built around educational experiences and sponsored pavilions/attractions but that model kinda failed and they've moved on. The attendance growth at that park compared to others has been kinda stagnant (at least compared to MK) over the last decade or so but I would expect to see a significant increase after this year thanks to Frozen.

I'm all for mixing in IP based attractions, and you know they'll find way to make them fit and work. Now can we just get a Big Hero 6 make over at the Wonders of Life Pavilion?

Same thing as HKDL being a princess park and benefit from "boy attraction" like the new Star Wars and Marvel additions, Epcot doesn't have enough attractions for young girls so Frozen will fill this blank. Not to mention IP is the best for boosting merchandise sale!

I'm more upset about EPCOT removing the Margarita Stand than Maelstrom, where were the protests for that! Now i have to walk all the way inside the Pyramid to get a Margarita to drink while I wait for Frozen instead of just stopping off on my way. And don't tell me it's about the money or being replaced by a more profitable IP based adult beverage stand, that thing had a line all the way to China all the time! Epcot's outdoor frozen drink offerings is declining by degrees.....