TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Sega Dreamcast

Movieguy

With all the talk about next-gen gaming systems, I feel compelled to talk about one of my favorite consoles. One that fell by the wayside, but to this day, offers more replay value to me than even my PS2...The Sega Dreamcast.

Now mind you, there have been good titles for the PS2, no question. But ever since I got a replacement cable, I've found myself playing my old DC titles with much more frequency lately. Games like Power Stone, Crazy Taxi, Dynamite Cop, Virtua Tennis, and my all time favorite DC title, Marvel VS Capcom 2.

Simply put, for all the PS2's qualities, I just fell out of interest in gaming during the time it was my only working system...but now, with my DC up and running again, I've refuelled my gamer's enthusiasm once more.

If there's anyone here who owns a Sega Dreamcast, or have played it. If you know or remember of the kind of enjoyment this little console provided, speak up on this thread now! Share your respect for this deceased piece of hardware, the last ever put out by Sega.

Don't make me feel all alone here, I beg you...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, I don't own a Dreamcast but I loved it through its short lifespan. Knights was awesome and DC also premiered Sonic Adventure which is still one of my favorite games to this day.

I remember many people discovered that you could download and burn games rather easily for DC from any computer which definately contributed to its downfall. Was definately a great system, Sega CD was good too!

I have fond memories of my dreamcast. I loved the LCD screen on the controller. Especially on a game like NFL blitz where you could use the controller screen to select your plays.

Dreamcast was actually much more powerful than the PS2. It was only Sony's hype machine that crushed Sega out of business.

Shame too, because Dreamcast was Sega's first peice of hardware that wasn't a complete flop. (with Genesis being a close second).

I never really wanted a Dreamcast, TBH. And the only "Dreamcast" games I have played were the Sonic Adventure ports on the Gamecube. Need I say, I liked those games, and I wanted to play Jet Grind Radio after seeing footage of it and liking the soundtrack of Sonic Rush.

Shame too, because Dreamcast was Sega's first peice of hardware that wasn't a complete flop. (with Genesis being a close second).

I figured the Genesis (or Mega Drive for you Brit folk) was a LOT more successful since it lived a full life and brought the 16-bit generation alive. I mean, come on, it had Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on it...

Fun Fact: The reason why the system was called Genesis in America was due to the name "Mega Drive" being licensed for use in North America for a car company.

I remember one distinguishing factor that PS2 had from the Dreamcast that was repeatedly drilled into our heads...its ability to play DVDs.

But, come on...how many of you can honestly say that you regularly play DVDs on your PS2?...especially in a time when DVD-roms come standard on PC's, and some basic DVD players are cheaper than a PS2? I sure don't.

I was actually ready to hook up my DC the other day...I loved (And still love) that thing. I actually purchased mine when I knew it was dead, knowing hey'er gonna be hard to get once again. Crazy Taxi was probably one of my favorite games to play if I wanted some quick action along with Sonic Adventures and RE: Code Veronica. Lastly, I even have a coaster game for it called "Coaster Works."

About the PS2 DVD player:

I remember one distinguishing factor that PS2 had from the Dreamcast that was repeatedly drilled into our heads...its ability to play DVDs.

Sounds like a gimmick. Actually, I heard that the PS2's DVD function is actually not really the best thing for your PS2 as one of my friend's PS2's took a dump on him from playing DVDs on it. I forgot what exactly he said but I guess it overworks some stuff on it.

Dreamcast was awesome. I love arcade games and between all the Midway and Sega arcade ports for the system, I had a ton of games to play (I have about 30 Dreamcast games). I hate how the system had such a short life because so many people were unwilling to give the system a chance and that EA didn't support the system (I'd take the NFL 2K series over Madden anyday but unfortunately a system needs EA to survive)

I had a Dreamcast and had a stack of games for it. I remember playing Crazy Taxi, Dynamite Cop, House of the Dead 2, and some shooters I can't recall the name. I hadn't played with it for over a year, but when I wanted to play the DC again, it died and it was a very sad day. I ended up selling the DC games on eBay.

Actually I have my dreamcast in a box in my room. I have fond memories of playing House of dead 2 with the guns after drinking around the house during a lazy weekend at home. I guess I should eventually hook it back up, but it's boring playing the games by yourself. And I've changed up how my spend my free time so I really don't have too much time to play videogames.

But it also serves as a reminder not to buy any other consoles... I just think to myself: "You bought all that stuff for your dreamcast and look what you did with that."

I just got back together with an old friend, big gaming fanatic. He has a japanese Dreamcast now, and I got to try out a lot of the Japanese titles that were never released stateside.

One was Fighting Vipers 2, which was fantasitic! Another was this great Vertical shooter, whose title escapes me at the moment.

My favorite Dreamcast game was probably Samba de Amigo. I'm not sure if it actually came out in the USA, but it was the one with the marracas controller:

Here's me playing the arcade version at Tobu Zoo, Japan:

samba.jpg.f64fd53cd72966af241ee6d256a6bb42.jpg

Here's the Dreamcast controller.

I loved the Dreamcast, I remember playing Crazy Taxi in Best Buy for the first time and I had to have it. It was such a fun pick and play game that was easy to learn and difficult to master, it is still one of my fav games to play when I wanna kill 15mins.

I remember when they were clearancing out all the dreamcast stuff and the great thrill going out everyday on my lunch break to hunt down $5 bargain clearanced games, good times.

The system had some truly great and unique games my favs were

Crazy taxi (1&2)

Toy Commander

RE code Veronica

Daytona USA

Demolition Racer

House of the dead

Soul Calibur

Virtua tennis

It was sad that it had such a short life but I still have alot of fun with mine.

JEFF (Who still has 104 Dreamcast games)

Samba De Amigo 1 came out in the US. The sequel was only released in Japan though. The official Sega maracas only had 10,000 sets released in the US and they were impossible to find. I ended up paying a ridiculous $112 with shipping from FAO Schwarz for them because they were the only site to still have them in stock and all stores (if they got any to begin with) were sold out.

I LOVE the Dreamcast, and still consider to be one of the best systems ever released.

Unfortunatly when our house was robbed, they took the Dreamcast, but for some unknown reason, they only took the game that was in the system, Wacky Races

I plan on replacing my Dreamcast, possibly this Christmas

For now I get to look at a bunch of Dreamcast games sitting beside my TV, beggin' me to play them

Crazy Taxi and Chip and Dales' Magical Racing Tour = I love Dreamcast!!!

Crazy Taxi is awesome!!!! Now that the dream cast is gone (Even though I never owned one, I like playing demo units and such) I can only play it in the arcade, and I haven't seen one in a while....