TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silver Dollar City (SDC) Discussion Thread

P. 261: Arvest Bank announces 10 year sponsorship deal

Time Traveler is the one that is the most sensitive and is the first to shut down as temps drop. IIRC 42 degrees is a rough approximation for operational temps for all the major coasters there.

EDIT: You can click on the individual rides for detailed operations and temps here: https://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/Attractions/Rides and a generalized list is here: https://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/Attractions/Rides/Ride-Temperature-Guidelines

Edited by sdcfan88

Typically SDC only issues guest passes if you purchase your season pass prior to the beginning of the season.

But if you buy a '19 pass now you get guest vouchers. When you activate the pass on first visit in '19 you can also use vouchers the same day if it's a valid date .

Edited by TEDodd

Made a quick day trip to the park on Wednesday. It was my first time there in 20 years. Was so amazed and impressed after only going to SFSL in recent that I didn't keep too much track of stuff for a detailed trip report, but I will post some highlights and a few pictures.

Our family had purchased season passes this year planning on attending several times throughout the year, but my wife has had major back problems and wouldn't be able to go. So she finally convinced me and my oldest son (19yo) to make the trip down there. We brought along his girlfriend as I'm a non-rider. We were going to drive there and back in one day from Alton, IL(approximately 4 hours drive time).

Woke up at 6:30 AM hit the road, quick stop in St. James for some breakfast and arrived to the park just before 11. It had start drizzling the last 20-30 minutes of our drive in and we waited near Tram Stop #2 to be picked up. Seemed like they only had one tram and one small shuttle bus running at the time, so we decided to walk to the entrance.

As we hadn't used our season passes at all, I stopped by guest relations to see if we could switch my wife's pass over to my son's gf and save us $60 to get in. The lady at guest relations looked up the account, saw it hadn't been used and got it taken care of very easily. Score!

The drizzle begin to let off and my son wanted to head to Outlaw Run, one train wait for a front seat ride. Powder Keg and Wildfire were not open yet due to the rain so they re-rode OR and jumped on the Barn Swing. Also a quick ride on FITH. Just a few minutes Later Wildfire opened followed by Powder Keg. They got front seat rides on both then decided to head Time Traveler and Thunderation. Time Traveler had about 30-40 minute wait most the day when it was open. It closed intermittently due to weather. Thunderation seemed to be going down due to protein spills. We wanted to do the cave tour so they had to put those rides off for a bit.

The Marvel Cave Tour was nice and my son had never been in a cave before really liked it. It is not for the claustrophobic or those in poor shape. After cave tour the we headed to the far right corner of the park and rode the teacup ride. We spun the heck out of those things. We were approaching dark at this point and I wanted a train ride, so the kids went their own way and finally got a ride in on TT, they then headed to OR, PK, and WF for more rides. Caught back up with them at WF after I stumbled into the Flooded mine entrance, very interesting ride. We then all rode FITH together.

We watched the Christmas parade right near the main entrance and then headed back to Thunderation and TT. They finally got a ride on Thunderation and another ride on TT. Headed back to the tram around 8:30 as the rain had started up again. Arrive back home at 2:15 AM.

Rides:

Kids:

OR 4x

Barn Swing 1x

Powder Keg 2x

Wildfire 2x

FITH 2x

TT 2x

Thunderation 2x

Teacups 1x

Me:

Teacups 1x

Flooded Mine 1x

FITH 1x

Foods Purchased/Consumed

Sausage skillet 1x

Chicken skillet 1x

Southwest Chicken 1x

Pretzel Brat 1x

Cinnamon Bread 2x

Cinnamon Roll 1x

Giant Chocolate Chip cookie 1x

Now some pictures:

1792616866_IMG_2454(1024x768).thumb.jpg.8fddb83777379721b7f18823013566fb.jpg

Kids!

2030692030_IMG_2457(768x1024).thumb.jpg.254be37522b6e1dd5aee8f81ac611525.jpg

Super clean restrooms that smell good, not used to this.

88451967_IMG_2464(768x1024).thumb.jpg.da126d09c8edebcc0057be706f221e1c.jpg

Front Seat Outlaw Run!

2143003847_IMG_2473(768x1024).thumb.jpg.80dff822a6d85af5c404fbe681cb37f8.jpg

MMMMMM!!! Lunch!!

1658201385_IMG_2479(768x1024).thumb.jpg.db0800b0cfb24b01be28cc62141e476e.jpg

Christmas tree in cave!

722464220_IMG_2490(768x1024).thumb.jpg.c120d3d6afc9080ac46058931cde6f6e.jpg

I'll take two please!

129006765_IMG_2451(1024x768).thumb.jpg.5c12e2ae9ea92938f61ebf492dea24ad.jpg

Foggy Day, but we can see a coaster in the distance!

Excellent report! Sorry to hear of your wife's health problems, but SDC guest services is fantastic, and your experience is absolutely normal.

Looks like you got all the relevant food credits. The pretzel brat is underrated, imo.

Cave tour, check. Cinnamon bread, check. You did it right.

Does anybody know if they offer universal passes for SDC/Dollywood/Wild Adventures at all? The best that I saw is a season pass at Wild Adventures that does 50% off single day admission for SDC and Dollywood. Is that worth doing, or can I get better discounts doing something else?

I only live a few hours from Wild Adventures, and plan on doing road trips that will go to SDC and Dollywood this year.

Nope, no universal pass. The parks for the most part run independently of each other. Buy the season pass for the park closest to you and get the 50% discount on the others.

The bathroom comment made me chuckle because my eldest son had a similar reaction when we first visited. "It doesnt smell terrible in here, how do they do it?"

That's great. Almost every time I'm in one of their bathrooms I see someone cleaning. That's how you do that.

So they finally can't ignore it anymore, even the local news outlets are paying attention now. The construction site is huge.

http://springfieldnewsleader.mo.newsmemory.com/publink.php?shareid=2457d7efe&fbclid=IwAR05LCbBo4MOeJYvtcehsMXx-6UreTVA273j8tbEPpOmo1EFIGnvkGjo-u8

It's going to be transformative just by the shear size of it. I'm just curious how much they'll have finished on the park-facing side by spring. They might be trying to get a lot done before the Christmas rush. SDC has had a knack for getting rides done well in advance of opening just because that is what works best for their scheduling.

SDC did an awesome job teasing Time Traveler (even before they settled on a theme and a name). I would expect more of the same for this new ride. Its something that sets SDC apart from other parks.

• 1 month later...

So I'm going to SDC for the first time on Saturday April 6th. Does anyone have any idea what the crowds have historically been like in early April? Would the Trailblazer pass be worth it? Also, is there anything I shouldn't miss besides the Marvel Cave tour and Cinnamon Bread? Thanks in advance!

Sweet! Glad you're visiting the Ozarks.

All Saturdays at SDC are busy, but you will be going on the Saturday of Young Christians Weekend, which has a bunch of Christian rock bands. Crowds are insane. Trailblazer Pass will be worth it.

Good to hear you're prioritising the cave and cinnamon bread. Great job. Also make sure you get a skillet at some point. They're all over the park and are really SDC's signature dish. There are several varieties, and they're all good.

The one downside to going that weekend is that there aren't the normal shows, as the Christian stuff takes over all the venues. Otherwise it should be a good time.

Aw man, it sucks that your first experience at SDC is going to be on the absolute worst weekend for it. It will be an interesting and hopefully fun experience. Hopefully it will encourage you to come back on a non-crazy weekend to experience it for real.

YCW is always a mad house.The park will be at capacity with 12-17 year old church kids. Despite being church kids though, some of them can often get unruly. It's always a weekend I avoid. If you are into the music, there's that at least.

Get there an hour early before gates officially open so that you can get a trailblazer. They will sell out instantly as soon as they open the booth. The trailblazer will be your only hope of getting rides on much of anything. I imagine Time Traveler will have a 2-3 hour wait all day.

So I'm going to SDC for the first time on Saturday April 6th. Does anyone have any idea what the crowds have historically been like in early April? Would the Trailblazer pass be worth it? Also, is there anything I shouldn't miss besides the Marvel Cave tour and Cinnamon Bread? Thanks in advance!

It's not a 'must see' but Grandfather's Mansion can be easy to miss for new visitors and there aren't a lot of walk through funhouses anymore so it might be worth it. However the crowds might negate that; GM is NOT FUN to be in with a ton of people in my opinion.

Another thing that seems to get missed is that the Swinging Bridge is often a less congested pathway to/from Time Traveler/Thunderation to the front and northwest of the park; the tradeoff is its a much narrower path so if you have cross traffic it can backfire.