TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 1989: Wicked Twister's permanent closure announced!

Who said it will be for 2015. They could wait to start construction and open it in 2016.

Who said it's going to be a coaster, or an RMC for that matter. I honestly hope they do revamp Frontiertown, as that sounds like a really good thing to happen.

I loved Frontier town, and if they could revamp it, I think that would be amazing. But let's find out what they're really doing when they actually announce it.

Because you guys are talking about the 2015 announcement.. Probably that.

Lol

It seems as if the whole Iron Horse revamp of Mean Streak just isn't going to happen. Even though it hasn't been said, it appears that RMC has a contract with Six Flags that may be continuing for several more years. I believe Fred Grubb said at the most recent IAPPA that the company is completely booked for the next few years. With that being said, let's have some fun and speculate. I would not be surprised if a competitor not named Intamin came out with their own prefabricated track to revamp troublesome woodies. Would it be that difficult for say, GCI, to approach a third party construction company to create a wooden track that's laser cut from a higher quality laid-up vaneer? That's exactly what Intamin did with Cordes, and has certainly been successful in terms of ride quality. The reason I mention GCI is because they seem to have a good relationship with Cedar Fair, and it appears they may be upping their game in the near future.

It's obvious that Mean Streak has low popularity among CP guests when compared to their other coasters, and it will continue to dwindle as the park adds more rides and still runs this ride in its current state. All that sums up to "something" being done with it, and hopefully it will be sooner than later. Done correctly with the advancements that have been made, MS could be transformed into an excellent ride. It sure would be nice for a park that calls itself "America's Roller Coast" to have a top notch woodie.

Maybe Sky-Line Attractions will do an RMC type re-hab. RMC doesn't have a contract with SF but no one else has built one yet. Also didn't they just build a new factory so they could build more rides? (If you can't tell I REALLY want an RMC.)

Haha! How could you not want an RMC? Living in PA and having SFNE only a 3 hour drive from me is really exciting from my perspective with yesterday's confirmation of WC. I haven't ridden one yet but I think it's safe to assume that I'm going to love the ride.

I have a love for wooden coasters, and with that being said I would be ecstatic for CP to have an awesome example of one. I used to goto CP every year until 2005 and I made a pact that the next time I go out will be because they finally built a good woodie. Ever since SFGadv built El Toro I haven't had much reason to make the 6+ hour drive to CP when I could get the same or better quality coasters, wood or steel, at parks much closer to me.

It would be awesome if the mine ride was replaced with a GG woodie like Ravine Flyer/Voyager. Then they can replace Mean Steak. I agree it isn't all that rough but even if they removed the trims it just wouldn't be very fun.

Exactly, Mean Steak is boring. It doesn't matter how rough/smooth it is, it will always be a Dinn/Summers design in its current profile. Their firm didn't like airtime incorporated into their rides(Sources: Wild Rides on Discovery Channel in 1996 and an interview with Charles Dinn about Hercules as it was being built). CP remains amazing in its collection of steel coasters, but an awesome woodie in their lineup would be epic.

Have those markings on the ground in the Blue Streak area and elsewhere been explained yet? I remember those teaser pics from long ago; I was wondering if it was ever determined what those markings meant. Perhaps nothing but laying electricity/water/gas to an area that doesn't have those connections.

I think anything with Mean Streak for next year would be out. If they plan to renovate or remove it for 2016, they would wait until next year to announce that, I'm sure. Anything dealing with Mantis could still be on the table, and I suppose it could be a dark ride coming - perhaps with a frontier/western theme?

^

When I read that article, I found a link to a picture of some paint testing that they seemed to be doing on Mantis (picture is from CPfansite in July). I'm still betting on floorless trains (and possibly renaming to King James).

10423690_707547719291614_6800824079270246677_n.jpg.e2f911732c86a310b1a48eaddda334b6.jpg

Mean Streak was extremely smooth this year when I rode it at CoasterMania. It just has such a boring layout, like every other Dinn coaster in existence.

I had a very good ride on Mean Streak last year. I don't know why a lot of people complain about it, because there are a lot worse coasters than this. The only Dinn layout that was ever good was Predator, but you get the hell beat out of you every ride (at least in the back).

My Official Final Prediction: Mantis conversion and flat/dark ride. If dark ride, then it'd be the WMG version. Which I guess you could technically also call a coaster. Mantis will be renamed King James.

Lets see how correct this ends up being!!

My OFFICIAL final prediction that will happen is that Magnum will sink into Lake Erie next year. It's too bad, it's one of my favorite coasters there.

My official prediction IS that Cedar Point is DEFINITELY getting a massive Lebron James head on top of WindSeeker and renaming the ride 'King James' Spinning Scepter.' They will also move Millennium Force onto a pier in the middle of Lake Erie, bill it as a new coaster and call it 'Lake Force.'

My Final Thoughts on a 2015 new ride for the Point/Improvements:

• Drop Tower off of Dragster -or- Spinning/Inverting Thrill Ride

• Retheme of Mantis with or without a Sit-down conversion

• Finished refurbishment of the Breakers hotel (confirmed)

• Rethemed restaurant/perhaps a new chain

• Other new food options

• Refurbished Picnic Pavilions

• More other aesthetic improvements