TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Screamscape said maybe an extend layout for a Dive Machine. That does sound like a pretty cool ride. I can't see the Point building a Wingrider at this point. A humongous freaking Dive machine would be very awesome. Even if they kept it in height between Magnum and Millienium Force, say 260 or so, it would be a thrilling ride. A 300 foot Dive Machine would be amazing. They might have to soften up the valley at the bottom of the first drop or some folks will go night night.

^Hey I'd take an Apollo's Chariot style hyper and be happy with it

Honestly I'm hoping for Maverickesque coasters in the future. By that I mean small enough that they are popular with the whole family, but still offer an awesome ride and unique experience. Cedar Point has the height and speed thing pretty well covered. Rides that don't break records but are just pure fun are really what I would like to see. Don't get me wrong, I'd be ecstatic with a 300 foot dive machine, but I don't really feel that's at all necessary at this point in time. That and more flats would be great. They've done a pretty good job of stepping their non-coaster game up since Power Tower opened, but more flats will never hurt.

There are old buildings on the plot. Clearly that means they are going to tear them down and build a new gigantic roller coaster that costs $50M in their place.

All of these rumors sound like all the rumors I've heard made up by employees, and there's probably equal truth to all of them (practically none). With the way the park is, I think their next move will be completely unpredictable. Their coaster collection is pretty balanced; there's nothing too outlandish or crazy. They could keep it that way, or they could start putting crazy things in (i.e. Zac Spin or X car type). Knowing the park's general goals, they will go for capacity over anything. Numbers are easily one of the most important things aside from safety and customer service (although capacity branches from customer service).

People always complain about coasters being too similar. Cedar Point has three launched coasters, several coasters with inversions, several coasters that are over two hundred feet in height, several coasters that are under two hundred feet in height, all 17 of the coasters except two are made out of steel, there is a butt load of Intamins, the list goes on. I don't see why someone always has to find a negative in everything. I don't think a Dive Machine is anywhere similar to a Strata coaster with a twisted vertical drop, a Giga coaster with an eighty five degree drop, and a coaster that is barely one hundred feet in height that has a drop beyond vertical. I think a Dive Machine is one of the most different things Cedar Point could install. They aren't very common, they have a holding brake at the top of the drop, the drop would be the first true and straight vertical drop in the park, it would have a ride vehicle never before seen in the park (both floorless and up to ten across), it would also hopefully include several inversions, it could have a water splash, and on top of all of that it would be another visually stunning ride for the already stunning skyline. My point is, I can also find a bunch of similarities within the park, but they don't bother me. They also don't bother the general public.

Other than a replacement for Mean Streak the only two coasters I would like to see CP get are a wing coaster and a Zacspin. I don't see a dive machine as something being unique unless they decide to really take the concept above Griffon or Sheikra. I know many of you will disagree but I see the dive machine as being limited in what you can do with those wide trains.

I always envisioned a unique Dive Machine for Cedar Point. I don't see why there can't be several inversions on a Dive Machine. I think anything is possible in terms of elements. I think a Dive Machine with a vertical loop and a really elongated zero-g roll or rollover like the last inversion on Wild Eagle would be super cool. I don't think the size of the trains are an issue, especially when B&M is already dropping them two hundred feet.

I don't think the size of the trains are an issue, especially when B&M is already dropping them two hundred feet.

Well as is evident, dive machines loose momentum really quickly. There is more than twice as much surface drag as normal coasters, and less people, which means even a 200 ft drop wouldn't be enough to do a lot with. Also with wide trains, the transitions can't be very quick, which implies the layout would need to be more sprawled out, which would waste momentum as well.

^I agree, developing that land as a parking lot would be a lot more practical than trying to put some type of attraction there. Perimeter Road poses lots of logistical problems with rides and/or midways having to cross over it, I think it would be more trouble than it's worth.

^ I have to agree with you Steve. Building a ride over the road would have to leave plenty of clearance for trucks passing through, safety nets so loose articles don't hit cars, ect. Cedar Point has quite a bit of room before they should have to consider constructing attractions over Perimeter Road.

SFOG did just fine with building Goliath over a road and outside the park. I think if something similar were done, Cedar Point could easily pull it off and have little effect on that area. Building a ride there also doesn't mean they are running out of room, it just means they came across a great plot of land that could very well be a perfect fit for what they might be planning on adding. Similar to Universal and Jaws. I don't see how building a ride in a wide open, uninhabited area would "cause more problems." There are safety nets all over rides nowadays anyway, so would it be any different? Also, are we seriously concerned that CEDAR POINT won't build a coaster TALL ENOUGH for trucks to clear? Really?

Also, are we seriously concerned that CEDAR POINT won't build a coaster TALL ENOUGH for trucks to clear? Really?

Nowhere in the post did I say I was concerned they wouldn't build it for trucks, I just said they would have to. You are reading my comment too in depth between the lines. I'm not going to argue about this because 1) I don't want to get involved in the silly Cedar Point coaster "dreams" that have been going on since Maverick and 2) the ride over Perimeter Road will more than likely not happen.

I don't think the size of the trains are an issue, especially when B&M is already dropping them two hundred feet.

Well as is evident, dive machines loose momentum really quickly. There is more than twice as much surface drag as normal coasters, and less people, which means even a 200 ft drop wouldn't be enough to do a lot with. Also with wide trains, the transitions can't be very quick, which implies the layout would need to be more sprawled out, which would waste momentum as well.

I didn't say anything about it having an average B&M layout. Just adding a couple more inversions.

^Yes, but it goes out to the long end of the peninsula, Cedar Downs is right on a corner and there's a lot less room for a ride right there. I'm sure they could engineer something to go over the road there if they wanted to, I'm just saying it would be a lot easier to build something somewhere else. And once again, the practicality of having more parking there outweighs any attraction you could put there.

It's as simple as this: If Cedar Point wants to build over Perimeter Rd., and wants to spend the money to do so, they will.

^Yes, but it goes out to the long end of the peninsula, Cedar Downs is right on a corner and there's a lot less room for a ride right there. I'm sure they could engineer something to go over the road there if they wanted to, I'm just saying it would be a lot easier to build something somewhere else. And once again, the practicality of having more parking there outweighs any attraction you could put there.

I'm guessing 99% of the year, a loss of a few spaces will not matter. The lot is enormous and rarely fills up. So something tells me the opposite would be true, as long as it's not a huge loss of spaces.

The lot is enormous and rarely fills up.

That's not true at all. It fills up 100% easily 7 or 8 days through the summer. The employees have to park inland and take the bus, especially 4th of July.

I did say "rarely." So 99% was a bit of an exaggeration. But assuming the lot only fills up only 7-8 days out of 140ish (I estimated on the calendar), that's roughly 95% of the season the park could afford to lose spots. I would assume the number of spots lost wouldn't be overly significant either. Especially enough to negate the potential gains from a significant new attraction.

The lot is enormous and rarely fills up.

That's not true at all. It fills up 100% easily 7 or 8 days through the summer. The employees have to park inland and take the bus, especially 4th of July.

I did say "rarely." So 99% was a bit of an exaggeration. But assuming the lot only fills up only 7-8 days out of 140ish (I estimated on the calendar), that's roughly 95% of the season the park could afford to lose spots. I would assume the number of spots lost wouldn't be overly significant either. Especially enough to negate the potential gains from a significant new attraction.

Yes, but even 7 or 8 days is too much to afford losing spaces. On any single day when parking gets out of hand, guest complaints are through the roof. You have to consider needs for an entire season, you can't just let everyone go nuts on days where the parking lot will be full. As it is, this past 4th of July, the cars were parked halfway down the midway. Not to mention if a new attraction was built, it would draw even more people. It would be chaos.

Not to take away from everyone's speculation, but is it possible that in my mind I am thinking that the Cedars dorms are considered some kind of historical landmark?? If that were the case, would they not be allowed to be demolished? I thought for some reason when I spent the summer there,(back in '93), that there was some kind of sign or plaque outside that made mention of it??

^I don't believe they are.

You guys are forgetting that the lot we are talking about is a reserved lot, not the Main Lot that anyone can park in. The Marina Lot is SMALL for the amount of boat slips the Marina has. On top of that you have Bay Harbor, Famous Dave's, The Marina Office/Store, VIP Tours, Human Resources and Purchasing that all require parking in that lot. If Cedars was torn down, I would imagine that small space (yes, it IS a small space of land) would just be used for additional parking. Boaters already complain that parking is not ample for them and they pay a LOT of money for those boat slips every summer. This is what leads me to believe the lot would be expanded and not used for a ride, that and the land is in an awkward spot. Further more, the Dock Holders were not entirely happy when MF was built because of the noise it created and it isn't really that close to the boats. Building any kind of coaster within feet (literally) of those expensive boats is not going to make the people paying $1,300+ a month for a slip very happy.

It would make more sense to build a coaster that runs out into the Main Lot. Put a station inside the front gate to the left and then run the coaster out into the lot along Perimeter Road. More space to deal with and no whiney dock holders.