TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

• Replies 49k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did they happen to mention how heavy that train is?

I feel bad because this is all I post about lately but no... if a park has the ability to open and there's demand and they choose to stay closed then they're dumb. Period. Be creative and figure it ou

So basically there were about as many rides open as there would be in peak season with 15 mph winds.

Posted Images

Kind of off topic but I have a question:

I was the first to post the official news right at 9:10am EST and I notice that when I look back several pages my post is......gone. Now I'm not mad or anything I am just curious as to why.

That's probably Robb's doing. If the first post to announce a new ride isn't very detailed, he usually deletes it and reposts a more detailed announcement in its place.

The second drop is smaller than the first drop?

I have seen that posted already, why does it matter which order they are in?

Its sort of an unwritten rule with water rides that you save the biggest till last...sort of like a grand finale. I think every single water ride I have ridden follows this format.

I think though they plan on spicing up the smaller drop by making it far more soaking than the first as it passes through the rocks.

BBBBOOOORRRRRIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGG!

I actually agree with this. I'm not a big water rides fan as it is, but there's absolutely nothing about this modern day nod to the classic that interests me. I mean, as I see it (of course this is just going off the press release images), a huge percentage of the ride is just slowly navigating a ground level trough. I could take a small dingy down a backyard canal and get the same feeling.

I think the reason I loved the old school log flumes is that many of them that I've ridden seemed to be on supports that put the trough high off the ground, thus making it visually interesting. This, and Pilgrims Plunge just look flat out boring besides the drops. I'd rather ride Maverick and then pour a huge cup of water over my head afterward.

This will certainly suit the GP, and I can't say Cedar Point made a bad move, but the design leaves a lot to be desired, in my opinion.

They should add a tad more visual interest to the ride while it's on ground level. I know they can't afford to pull off Splash Mountain, but something along the banks. Other than that, I'm sure people will enjoy the ride quite a bit.

Kind of off topic but I have a question:

I was the first to post the official news right at 9:10am EST and I notice that when I look back several pages my post is......gone. Now I'm not mad or anything I am just curious as to why.

That's probably Robb's doing. If the first post to announce a new ride isn't very detailed, he usually deletes it and reposts a more detailed announcement in its place.

Yeah that's what I figured and that's fine. I just know now to refrain from that in the future.

I will agree with other statements even though the first drop is bigger, the second drop will most likely get you wetter and I bet that's why it's the finale.

Here's a couple intersting comments I found on the Cedar Point blog.

Q: What is all the stuff about "Whyte Lighting" then??? Just a little confused.

A: "White Lightning" is another name for moonshine, which plays a part in the ride's theme. Also, our friends at Carowinds were using "White Lightning" as a teaser to their new attraction. We thought we'd play along by using it, but tweaking "White" to be spelled, "Whyte" as a tribute to a member of our staff with the same last name. Just havin' a little fun.

Q: Since it has over the shoulder lap bars, and a chain lift, will cedar point be able to classify it as a roller coaster, and mover there record total to 18?

A: Shoot the Rapids is a water flume ride, not a roller coaster. We're focused on providing a well-rounded experience for the whole family at this time.

BBBBOOOORRRRRIIIIINNNNNNGGGGGG!

I actually agree with this. I'm not a big water rides fan as it is, but there's absolutely nothing about this modern day nod to the classic that interests me. I mean, as I see it (of course this is just going off the press release images), a huge percentage of the ride is just slowly navigating a ground level trough. I could take a small dingy down a backyard canal and get the same feeling.

I think the reason I loved the old school log flumes is that many of them that I've ridden seemed to be on supports that put the trough high off the ground, thus making it visually interesting. This, and Pilgrims Plunge just look flat out boring besides the drops. I'd rather ride Maverick and then pour a huge cup of water over my head afterward.

This will certainly suit the GP, and I can't say Cedar Point made a bad move, but the design leaves a lot to be desired, in my opinion.

Thank you for giving an explanation for the original poster!

Since it has over the shoulder lap bars, and a chain lift, will cedar point be able to classify it as a roller coaster

Based on this logic, TTD, WT, MF and Maverick can technically be DEclassified as coasters* since they're missing one or both of these...

*I am intentionally being as anal and whiney as te person who posted on the CP blog.

I don't think having the larger drop first is a problem/ a bad thing, yes it's more traditional to end the ride with the biggest drop but that doesn't mean it should.

Anyone ridden Falls of The Nile at Terra Mitica? Biggest drop first, smaller drop second, and in my opinion, the ride would be no better if the larger drop was second.

I find it funny that alot of people ( myself included ) looks for something innovative at one point and when they do get it they want something more traditional, i'm guilty of this numerous times.

Looks like a great ride though! I'm really liking the waterfall and the rapids at the end of the second drop.

Looks like the next generation log flume. We'll probably see more of these or parks replacing out dated log flumes with these. CP already did. But we shall see. For all we know it could completely suck!

Except it isn't a log.

And how does a log flume become outdated anyways?

^30+ year old rides from companies that don't exist anymore thats how. Imagine trying to find parts for some of these rides. Most parks have to fabricate them themselves. I definitely think the "old school" log flumes' days are numbered at most parks.

^ You are talking to a guy with old cars.

But yeah, I can understand how parts can become a problem. When Arrow was taken over by S&S, did all the part manufacturing die with it?

It's a shame to see parks remove these flume rides because while they might be mechanically obsolete, I can't imagine they are obsolete in the eyes of patrons.

I sort of have mixed feelings over this ride. Sure it has some good, perhaps some great elements, but it isn't something that really got me excited. I'm not going to be visiting Cedar Point anytime soon, but it is nice to know that something incredible is being built. Regardless of whether I am going to ride it or not. I do have to agree that Cedar Point did need to widen their variety in rides. For me, a great park is one with something for everyone, not just thrill seekers. I feel Cedar Point is starting to realise the potential in building more family based rides. This is a great example. The point needed to get away from they're obsession with over the top thrill rides. Don't get me wrong, having many a' thrills is great, but a break is definitely needed.

A family based water ride will be prefect. Something for the whole family to get a break from the thrills. This ride isn't to tall or steep. About the ride itself, I have to say that I am slightly disappointed with the execution of the ride. The theme doesn't appeal to me. A place that makes alcohol for a family based ride doesn't really go. I may be reading to much into this. Another thing is that the biggest drop isn't last. Maybe it isn't really that bad, but I like saving the best for last. Not every element of the ride is bad though. I love the splashing water on the splash down of the last drop. It adds interest to the ride. Plus, it does look as you will get wetter on the last drop so it does. in a way, count as a better finale than having a bigger drop.

On the whole, Cedar point has made the right decision with refraining from adding a new large scale thrill ride. By integrating a family ride into a largely thrill dominated park, it gives signs of Cedar Point looking at the family based aspect of a park which I think is great! Even with a few negetives, Cedar Point has got a winner in my eyes.

I was very happy to here of a new flume ride coming to Cedar Point in 2010. I think that the one they had there before should have never been taken out. This One looks to be equally as good. I really like flume rides and in a day and age when Parks around the country are taking them out Cedar Fair decided to put one back in horray!! Many I think many will have different opinions.

I'm not going to lie. I'm disappointed. I thought it was going to be a coaster until about a week before they announced it, but I didn't think it was going to be this. This ride is going to be extremely boring if it isn't heavily themed.