TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^ That's more of a Six Flags thing. When Cedar Point built Millennium Force, they beat the record by about 50 feet. Then when they built Top Thrill Dragster, they beat the record by about 100 feet, then theres all the other records that they have beaten by miles but i'm not going to list them all. Cedar Point doesn't add one more foot and one more mph, they blow the record away, then are beaten stupidly by Six Flags or other parks that add a few feet to their coasters.

I don't think this thread is pointless, it keeps people happy about what Cedar Point is doing next, and is exciting to guess (stupid or realistic) until they release the specs and stuff about what they are actually doing.

^Yes, even Criswell is impressed with your powers of prophecy, Rich.

LMAO!

Criswell: Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives. And remember my friend, future events such as these will affect you in the future. You are interested in the unknown... the mysterious Coasters. The unexplainable. That is why you are here. And now, for the first time, we are bringing to you, the full story of what happened on that fateful day. We are bringing you all the evidence, based only on the secret testimony, of the miserable souls, who survived this terrifying ordeal. The incidents, the places. My friend, we cannot keep this a secret any longer. Let us punish the guilty. Let us reward the innocent. My friend, can your heart stand the shocking facts of Cedar Points Roller Coasters from outer space?

If it is a ride at all, it will most likely be a family, or water ride to replace WWL as that is what all the rumors are stating.

I have been going to this park since I was twelve and CP has almost always sequenced a big coaster about every other year.

This year was Maverick (at a big price tag), so I'll be willing to bet a trash can that there isn't gonna be anything big and outrageous for '08!!!

I already hate this thread.

I couldn't agree more. Before I became an entusiast I really liked CP, but now do to crap conversations like this I dispise the place.

I won't say I despise the place, but all this talk does get annoying. With that said, I think a dark ride or a water ride would be the best way to go for 2008.

...now I'll wait and see before posting again in this thread.

To me, the purpose of a new attraction is to get new business. The locals are gonna come anyway. Maverick is too new and still has another year of newness to attract new people. There are a lot of people in the world who are just finding out about Maverick and who will probably make Cedar Point their destination for next year. So I doubt that whatever you all are seeing isnt a new coaster at allo. It wouldnt make financial sense at all. The amusement park industry is at a low rate now because people are becoming more sedentary and are becoming couch potatoes and everything is virtual or a gameboy and no one wants to get out in the element anymore and sweat by walking. I just dont believe monies will be spent at all on another big attraction in a while because CP doesnt have SFMM to compete with anymore. CP is the only coaster park left for people who are looking for thrills because SHAPIRO said no more coasters. For years SFMM was voted the best amusement park in America and then that stopped. If you all remember everytime CP got a new coaster SFMM got one. They were fighting for the title of the most Coasters in the world and SF has given up that fight.

To me, the purpose of a new attraction is to get new business. The locals are gonna come anyway. Maverick is too new and still has another year of newness to attract new people. There are a lot of people in the world who are just finding out about Maverick and who will probably make Cedar Point their destination for next year. So I doubt that whatever you all are seeing isnt a new coaster at allo. It wouldnt make financial sense at all. The amusement park industry is at a low rate now because people are becoming more sedentary and are becoming couch potatoes and everything is virtual or a gameboy and no one wants to get out in the element anymore and sweat by walking. I just dont believe monies will be spent at all on another big attraction in a while because CP doesnt have SFMM to compete with anymore. CP is the only coaster park left for people who are looking for thrills because SHAPIRO said no more coasters. For years SFMM was voted the best amusement park in America and then that stopped. If you all remember everytime CP got a new coaster SFMM got one. They were fighting for the title of the most Coasters in the world and SF has given up that fight.

CP had there own timing with coasters. I dont believe SFMM really had an impact on decisions that CP made. SFMM is the ones that made it a competition. I think CP will just keep going at the same pace they always have despite what other parks do. SFGADV is right there as far as build monster coasters and I dont believe that will change anytime soon.

Screamscape says that it's a possibility that it could be Deja Vu.

"A resourceful reader came upon a rather interesting idea today, wondering if perhaps one of the Déjà Vu coasters to be removed from Six Flags parks this year may go to Cedar Point instead. I’m thinking “no” myself… given the trouble they’ve caused for Six Flags since buying them Cedar Fair would be foolish to try to whip them into shape. However if Cedar Fair were to have a plan to install all new fixes and upgrades to ensure that it works correctly this time, anything could happen. The really interesting thing was that they were quick to point out the wording in the OnPoint Blog when seeing the construction site that it was something that they remember, “seeing one time before”, which is kind of the definition of Déjà Vu. Are they on to something… or just on something? My gut still says “No Deal”, but you just never know and to be honest right now, I don’t have a clue what they are up to and the local area Spy Network is unusually quiet."

http://www.screamscape.com/html/cedar_point.htm

That would be cool, maybe with the right fixes and upgrades, they can make this coaster work pretty well. I would love a Deja Vu that close to me. I doubt it, though, because when's the last time Cedar Point got used coaster? If Cedar Fair did, in fact, purchase a Deja Vu from Six Flags, it would probably show up at a different Cedar Fair park. But you never know.

I doubt CP would put in another shuttle type coaster, especially another one that is inverted. I think CP likes to go with origional concept coasters, and I just can't see them putting in this second hand ride with all the problems I hear about them. If they do get it, I think it's an easy, cheap way for them to add another coaster collection.

^ Yeah, but Deja Vu is a completely different concept than Wicked Twister. Just look at Millennium and Magnum, they are pretty much the same concept, only one's 100 feet higher. That leads me to believe that the Deja Vu theory could very well be possible.

There is no way Deja Vu is going to CP. It's just not happening. That rumor just cracks me up. Seriously, CP is way too big on capacity. You can try and fix this all you want, it's still not going to have a very good capacity. Yeah, they have Wicked Twister, but I would be welling to bet that Wicked Twister's capacity is much larger than Deja Vu's TRUE capacity.

And there are one too many capacity's in that statement.

I would love to see an outdoor Giant Topspin. Those rides look really cool. I've been on quite a few normal Topspins (fair operated & other parks) and loved them all even if they ran weak programs. I highly doubt Cedar Point would run a weak program anyways! If we are talking about coasters, I would like to see a new looping coaster. Something like Colossus at Thorpe Park except maybe more spread out with a few airtime hills and more comfortable restraints.

Yeah, they have Wicked Twister, but I would be welling to bet that Wicked Twister's capacity is much larger than Deja Vu's TRUE capacity.

Yeah, but who knows. Maybe they're on to something, maybe they have been working with Vekoma to fix Deja Vu's problems, knowing that it's a potential big crowd pleaser that's worth the risk (at least it was when I was at SFMM). Part of the capacity problem is that Six Flag's staff is very slow, if Deja Vu was run quickly and efficiently by CP's ride ops, maybe, just maybe, the riders per hour could double. Then just imagine what it will be like if they fix and master all of the mechanical issues.

As for the Top Spin. I think that if anything, CP would get a new Top Spin that would be bigger than any other Top Spin in the world, not a used, run down one from Geauga Lake.

I am still leaning towards "project 2008" being a topple tower.

I should have pics up tonight (fingers crossed), but the "construction area" really doesn't look like much. The blog photo pretty much shows most of the area; the right side of the pic ends right at Gemini, and the left side has... the maintenance shed.

In short, a ride won't be going in that location, but chances are the new shed will be an Intamin.

If anyone was curious, here's the location of the "construction site".

"A reader tells us that the current construction site within the park is actually located near Top Thrill Dragster, in an open area to the right as you make your first left turn in Dragster’s queue. You can also see the site from the park’s Paddlewheel Excursion."

I highly doubt Cedar Point would run a weak program anyways! If we are talking about coasters, I would like to see a new looping coaster. Something like Colossus at Thorpe Park except maybe more spread out with a few airtime hills and more comfortable restraints.

1. Cedar Point's Screaming Swing has a weak program. Kennywood's is much better.

2. The coaster you described seems very similar to Maverick, so I think it's doubtful.

As for what it is, I'm hoping for a flatride. Cedar Point needs more flats desperately.

-James Dillaman

Yeah, they have Wicked Twister, but I would be welling to bet that Wicked Twister's capacity is much larger than Deja Vu's TRUE capacity.

Yeah, but who knows. Maybe they're on to something, maybe they have been working with Vekoma to fix Deja Vu's problems, knowing that it's a potential big crowd pleaser that's worth the risk (at least it was when I was at SFMM). Part of the capacity problem is that Six Flag's staff is very slow, if Deja Vu was run quickly and efficiently by CP's ride ops, maybe, just maybe, the riders per hour could double. Then just imagine what it will be like if they fix and master all of the mechanical issues.

As for the Top Spin. I think that if anything, CP would get a new Top Spin that would be bigger than any other Top Spin in the world, not a used, run down one from Geauga Lake.

If Deja Vu could be fixed by Vekoma then I am sure SFMM and the other parks would spend the necassary money in order to fix it! Why would they let a good ride and a popular ride go if it could be fixed to be efficient! LOL This is a dumb argument and will never prove to be true.

If Deja Vu could be fixed by Vekoma then I am sure SFMM and the other parks would spend the necassary money in order to fix it! Why would they let a good ride and a popular ride go if it could be fixed to be efficient! LOL This is a dumb argument and will never prove to be true.

Six Flags actually spend money to fix a ride...LMAO! Why would they let a good ride and a popular ride go if it could be fixed to be efficient, you ask? Because they are Six Flags, that's why! They don't need any other reason! You crack me up.