TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

P. 1989: Wicked Twister's permanent closure announced!

151981048_ScreenShot2016-05-20at4_23_25PM.thumb.png.8d4b59511db9c20f5703e4a13a7029c4.png

Put your hands in the air like you just don't care

Camera 3 is in my favorite position today! Lots of rides in view. All I need is a front row ride on TTD in the morning followed by all day laps on Millennium Force, Skyhawk and Maverick and I'm a happy person. Hitting up the rest of the park is a bonus

^I dont understand why coaster enthusiasts should enjoy riding absolutely every rollercoaster either. I always shake my head when a terrible coaster is being demolished and people say that it's always sad to see any coaster go. It's like saying that car enthusiasts should enjoy driving any car ever made, regardless of how terrible it is.

I think it's more of everything that comes along with the coaster experience, like memories and such. It's natural for people to feel a bit sad when a part of their past is going away. Sure, coasters like Mean Streak suck, but I'll be honest, when riding those types with a large group of your friends, and you're all screaming in pain together, that makes for a hilarious memory. I'd rather be on the world's worst coaster, than be stuck at work behind a desk getting yelled at by my boss. You're not going to see me planting flowers and singing kumbaya when something is demolished, but in the end, a roller coaster is still a roller coaster.

^This reply right here is exactly what I was going for on my original post. For example, I dragged a few people up to CP last weekend who had never been, it was a bucket list trip for them. I'm not a fan of Corkscrew for the reasons that have been mentioned, but I laughed my rear end off on Corkscrew and Magnum listening to them playfully complain and scream "YEP...SHE'S A ROUGH B****!!!" While obviously someday they'll be torn down, the memories of that one ride with them will be the part I remember.

^I dont understand why coaster enthusiasts should enjoy riding absolutely every rollercoaster either. I always shake my head when a terrible coaster is being demolished and people say that it's always sad to see any coaster go. It's like saying that car enthusiasts should enjoy driving any car ever made, regardless of how terrible it is.

I think it's more of everything that comes along with the coaster experience, like memories and such. It's natural for people to feel a bit sad when a part of their past is going away. Sure, coasters like Mean Streak suck, but I'll be honest, when riding those types with a large group of your friends, and you're all screaming in pain together, that makes for a hilarious memory. I'd rather be on the world's worst coaster, than be stuck at work behind a desk getting yelled at by my boss. You're not going to see me planting flowers and singing kumbaya when something is demolished, but in the end, a roller coaster is still a roller coaster.

I feel like Sitting at home is a better use of my time than riding a crappy coaster. If it's no good, burn it down! Or RMC the $#!+ out of it

For some folks a crappy coaster is a memory for them when it was good back in the day. For some it was crappy back in the day and you rode it with your best friend anyway several times just because the line was walk on. Sometimes when you're younger you can take the beating, and it can be fun.

One thing that comes to mind is Scrambler at Magic Mountain. Scrambler is a basic flat, but probably the BEST of its style I have ever ridden. When I was about 10, and my brother was 7, and he and I both brought friends who were his age and mine, we probably rode that f***er 10-15 times in a row, on a couple visits. And we'd rotate each time. And I'd pull to the inside of the car, and slam my brother or his friend as the forces pulled me to the outside of the car. Then we'd switch, and they'd do it to me. Then we'd yell "Speed it up!" as we passed the operator (as if he could do something about it). Now, the Scrambler is still there, for now, and who would really care about an old flat? BUT. When that thing goes, and it's not there anymore, a part of the memory goes away too. And that's something I can appreciate from folks who miss coasters we may hate or not understand why THEY care when they're gone.

Lots of people are different, and certain people are going to miss certain coasters for certain reasons, and some of us are not.

What I don't understand is hating on someone who is going to miss a ride, whether it's a good ride or not. I have memories on so many coasters that IMO were great or crappy, and are now long gone, but I still miss their crappyness or miss how I liked them just because of the memories.

Except for Psyclone at Magic Mountain or Mean Streak at Cedar Point, screw both those rides. LOL

This is a very interesting philosophical question. I understand the inherent value of the roller coaster experience (good or bad) however I also believe part of the reason one like's roller coaster is because they are fun and enjoyable.

I fall in squarely in the "if it is crap tear it down" category. If I am just getting a credit then that is cool but if a roller coaster is crap than it has no re-rideablity which has a few ripple effects: (1) It is just taking up space for something else that could be great and (2) It does not help park capacity b/c no one rides the crappy coaster. I for one was happy when Kings Dominion got rid of Shockwave and I didn't care if they said coming in 2016-- An empty patch of grass, lol.

More to the point Cedar Point does not have very many crappers. Corkscrew will be gone one day even if they keep the track over head. I hope they never get rid of Magnum and would love to see them give it a good year of rehab including some track work, some tunnel enhancements and those B&M trains. Mean Streak will be RMC'ed eventually

Magnum and would love to see them give it a good year of rehab including some track work, some tunnel enhancements and those B&M trains.

Gross.

Magnum does an extraordinary amount of riders. In 2014 it gave 1,355,861 rides. The only rides (not just coasters) in the park that gave more were Gatekeeper, Millennium Force and Raptor. Magnum isn't going anywhere and it doesn't need fixing.

I went to Cedar Point last week and decided to give Magnum another shot after riding it 3 years ago for my first time. And nope, I still hate it. It's just rough as hell and the restraint totally sucks. People talk about Skyrush at Hershey hurting their legs, but I believe Magnum XL is worse than that. I know this coaster is special to a lot of people, but if it ever came to a vote...I'd say tear it down and put up a B&M hyper in its place. And just for those that know that can answer this question, cause I don't and I'm curious cause I have never been on one...Are the restraints on the Morgan Hypers (Seaworld's Steel Eel, Dorney's Steel Force, World's of Fun's Mamba and Valleyfair's Wild Thing) the same as the one's on the Arrow Magnum XL? And are those coasters as rough as Magnum? They all look very similar, that's why I'm asking.

I went to Cedar Point last week and decided to give Magnum another shot after riding it 3 years ago for my first time. And nope, I still hate it. It's just rough as hell and the restraint totally sucks. People talk about Skyrush at Hershey hurting their legs, but I believe Magnum XL is worse than that. I know this coaster is special to a lot of people, but if it ever came to a vote...I'd say tear it down and put up a B&M hyper in its place. And just for those that know that can answer this question, cause I don't and I'm curious cause I have never been on one...Are the restraints on the Morgan Hypers (Seaworld's Steel Eel, Dorney's Steel Force, World's of Fun's Mamba and Valleyfair's Wild Thing) the same as the one's on the Arrow Magnum XL? And are those coasters as rough as Magnum? They all look very similar, that's why I'm asking.

No, Morgan hypers (with the exception of Steel Eel) are the most forceless coasters in existence. They're very smooth but as hypers go they're also a bit dull.

On Magnum, tighten the seatbelt as much as possible to stop yourself from slamming into the bar. I was never a fan of Magnum until a former ride op on this site shared that trick with us and now I absolutely love the ride. It prevents all thigh crushing and it puts Morgan hypers to shame.

No, Morgan hypers (with the exception of Steel Eel) are the most forceless coasters in existence. They're very smooth but as hypers go they're also a bit dull.

On Magnum, tighten the seatbelt as much as possible to stop yourself from slamming into the bar. I was never a fan of Magnum until a former ride op on this site shared that trick with us and now I absolutely love the ride. It prevents all thigh crushing and it puts Morgan hypers to shame.

Thanks for the trick! Next time I'm at CP, I will try it and give Magnum another shot.

The park was packed on Friday with schools and people getting a head start on their weekend. That being said, the morning was pretty dull.

I got there at 9:30->Valravn (25 min)->Millennium (5 min)->Maverick (10 min)->Pipe Scream (0 Min)->Magnum (5 min)->3pt Challenge (10 min)->Rougarou(15 min)->Panda Express (10 min)->Chillin for a few hours while the lines picked up to about 45 minutes or more for every major coaster->Mini golf->Magnum (15 min)->Train

I left at around 5:30. It was my longest stay at the park in some time. Thanks to the people on here who told me to get funpix. Great investment.

^Yeah. It's a pretty basic course and not well maintained. A few years back the front nine got some new turf but all of holes became extremely boring. They took out the hole that jumps over the river and the hole that goes up a huge banking. It's a bummer, especially when 18 holes is your only option given that the entire red side is not going to open any time soon, if ever.

On the bright side, Challenge golf has some fancy new scorecards AND with a Platinum Pass, it's BOGO, so only three bucks a person. I like to golf when I visit and the crowds pick up mid afternoon.

Hey that second half of phantom's revenge is the most intense part of that ride. It's pretty crazy.

You obviously have never ridden Superman el Ultimo Escape at SFM. That coaster is NOT forceless, it actually has stronger airtime than most B&M hypers!

The park was packed on Friday with schools and people getting a head start on their weekend. That being said, the morning was pretty dull.

I got there at 9:30->Valravn (25 min)->Millennium (5 min)->Maverick (10 min)->Pipe Scream (0 Min)->Magnum (5 min)->3pt Challenge (10 min)->Rougarou(15 min)->Panda Express (10 min)->Chillin for a few hours while the lines picked up to about 45 minutes or more for every major coaster->Mini golf->Magnum (15 min)->Train

I left at around 5:30. It was my longest stay at the park in some time. Thanks to the people on here who told me to get funpix. Great investment.

Next time you're there consider entering your times into my website for others to see. I'm trying to build a wait time monitoring site which would eventually use the data to revive something like the old whentoride.com (which went down in like 2009). Once I have a nice dataset of ride wait time information I can start to build models of the rides and their attendance.