TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

^ I would be very excited if it was a beach woodie! Last year for Michael's b-day, I bought him a book on the history of Cedar Point and I was amazed at how crazy the Cyclone layout looked for back in the day!

While in line for Wicked Twister last week, I noticed that the area of the beach behind Disaster Transport is not being utilized for anything. Also, the area of the beach by WT only has the jet ski rentals, which they could easily move further down the beach.

It is possible that they might be able to cram a woodie in without removing anything.

img48088t.jpg.a9c16e61f3bdada148f08e46346c3497.jpg

Photo couretesy of BGSU.

^ Plus, that area is usually overlooked. WT has been walk-on for me all year! Being so close to the front I thought it'd be more popular.

Now with that question answered, will it be TGG, GCI, or Intamin? Or will they invest the money to put Josh Cribbs' face on the "WITNESS" sign?

I say GCI though. As MUCH as I'd love a Grav Group.

^ My bet is on GCI... why?

1) They are cheap.

2) Easy to maintain (otherwise why would smaller parks like Toverland and Beech Bend buy these things)

3) Easy to build in compact/crowded areas.

4) CF has a working relationship with GCI (I plan to see 3 to 4 more GCI woodies coming to CF parks)

5) TGG is kinda already anounced their lineup of constrcution projects next year.( HV Wuhan, Quassy, 2012 Morey's Pier?)

6) An Intamin pre-fab I would wager would be kinda expensive/expriemental...(not something CF is looking to invest in (STR,I305))

It's either going to be GCI or Intamin. With Cedar Point's obsession with Intamin, and the fact that their wooden coasters are a lot more reliable than their steel ones, I think there's a chance it could be from them. I hope so, as all of the Intamin woodies are absolutely insane.

^ I doubt it. Although Cedar Point has been known to take risks in the past, retracking Mean Streak before TG is even done would seem unlikely. Plus, judging by the walk-on wait everytime I go, NO ONE (except me) wants anything to do with Mean Streak. And there's nothing more beautiful than a twisty new beachside woodie!

I think they should have a huge bonfire and burn down Mean Streak. Get your marshmallows people...it will be epic! They can do so much with that area back there. Maybe they should take a chapter out of Dollywood's book and build something like Adventure Mountain!

Jimmy "I like S'mores" Bo

I am 100% for a beach side woodie. A rebirth of the cyclone perhaps. But I would be pulling more for a GCI rather than a pre-fab Intamin. I am all for the pre-fab design, but I feel like pre-fabs work better for large scale projects (such as EL Toro) and not so much for the small twisty goodness that I'm hoping for!

No matter who designs it, I hope it is a beach-side woody! I think that what everyone has said about mean streak is true, but if they tore it down they would not be getting ahead in the "coaster wars" but I'd still rather see it burn

El Toro is a special kind of fun, I absolutely loved it. I would prefer to get more of a throwback feel. Dream case would be a beachside "Cyclone" and Boardwalk project. The Boardwalk could have other attractions added in the future like maybe a fun house themed dark ride, again build it like a modern classic. You could add some small flats, a Toft's, and that old french fry stand, and you're in buisness.

How about moving wicked twister somewhere else in the park (maybe demon drop's location) and then re-doing that entire area into a somewhat themed throwback area to Cedar Point's past with a near exact recreation of the Cedar Point Cyclone?

^Not to mention the cost of moving Wicked Twister would be a little more than expensive.

I thought that moving a coaster would be cheap haha just kidding. I agree that moving Wicked Twister isn't really an option, and the fact its not that old. Cedar Point wouldn't put it there to move it in eight years.

I'm thinking it's just going to be a Wooden Coaster that goes behind wicked twister along the beach.

I doubt there will be a new "boardwalk" theme, even though it would be sweet. I just don't see Cedar Point doing that until they've used all the space they have.

Rode Shoot the Rapids last night for the first time... Front row at night, walk-on (it just reopened after down-time)... I was surprised on how much I really loved the ride! The tunnel was excellent at the beginning with extremely dense mist, pitch black. One area had a cutout with a themed truck behind it. First drop was excellent with a nice splash at the end. I really love those shallow, long drops. The runout at the end was fun and I really prefer this to the instant-splash at the end of the drop. The back area is quite nice with the themed areas and canyons which splash you a little bit. Second hill was awesome through the "rapids", reminded me of Dudley Do Right at IOA to be honest. Was great fun! I really enjoyed the geysers on the back half of the ride. I felt the ride length was perfect, pretty long ride (which I like).

Another plus was that they let you remove your shoes/socks prior to boarding. Otherwise, your feet would be under-water due to lack of boat-drainage until you reach the lift. Seriously, there is about 10" of water in the boat after the drops. Don't wear your shoes/socks.

I had little to no expectation for this ride but ended up loving it. Next weekend I plan to wear some swim-trunks and flip-flops and enjoy the ride many times. The length was great, the ride was fun, and I really had a blast. I feel bad I doubted this ride so much, to be honest! I loved it. Much better than Pilgrims Plunge (if you don't mind me comparing!), and is superior to the old log-flume at CP.

Sure, you get soaked... But at least the water is clean, chlorinated and the water temp was perfect. Everybody on the boat seemed to love the ride as well. Hopefully it is just as fun during the day as it is at night, because it really was beautiful. The views from the lifts, the excellent lighting throughout the course... It was great fun.

Thumbs up from me... I just hope they can fix the reliability issues! Look forward to riding more!

A new article is on the Register's website:

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/cedar-point/2010/jul/11/second-sunday-richard-kinzel-cedar-fair-ceo-says-market-will-thaw

The highlight is:

It's going to be a great ride. All thrill rides aren't coasters. It's going to be something that I think the teen market is really going to like.

This is the second time he has said this and I still say he is just messing with us. Would CP really go this long without a new coaster?