TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I'm saying that in the case that the train is launching that very second, in which case the brakes will be down. But it can obvoiusly never happen because of backup power.

If the brakes are down because a train about to launch and power fails, the brakes will come up and the train will not go anywhere, since the hydraulic launch motor will not work if it has no power.

If the ride is halfway through the launch and the power fails, the same thing will happen. The hydraulic motor would shut down due to a lack of power and the brakes would pop up due to a lack of power. If the train managed to reach the end of the launch track, it would just roll back into the extended brakes.

The magnetic rollback brakes on Intamin accelerators are absolutely fail safe, because it takes power to force them down. A lack of power simply causes them to go into "safe" mode, which is the up position.

Same for any eddy current brakes that are bracket mounted. They will slow the train every time and are completely fail safe (I say bracket mounted because the ones mounted on calipers can fail due to air pressure loss, as seen on S:RoS).

Maverick is completely fail-safe

That's what they said about the Titanic.

The Titanic didn't use Magnetic Breaks/Launch though...

That's not the point.

Whats the point? You can't compare a 80+ year old ship to a modern coaster.

Maverick is completely fail-safe

That's what they said about the Titanic.

The Titanic didn't use Magnetic Breaks/Launch though...

That's not the point.

Whats the point? You can't compare a 80+ year old ship to a modern coaster.

Yes you can. Titanic was an

AQUATRAX

Just noticed this today, no more Maverick website, this comes up now:

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/news/maverick.cfm

EDIT: maverick.cedarpoint.com still works though, i guess its just the link on the front page.

Yeah, because it says right under the logo, "Click here for a special message." Every other link on the site takes you to the Maverick site.

On TTD, the brake fins can move up and down, thus the brake system is not permanently fail-safe, but it obviously works fine due to computers.

The system on TTD is fail safe. The default position is up, they need to apply force to pull the brakes down.

So if the ride loses power, the brake fins will always return to the up position.

Yep . . . true. Did anyone make it over to Cp for opening weekend? If so, how was it? I'm headed there later this week for my second ever CP trip.

I will be going Thursday and Friday, when are you going?

I'll be getting into Sandusky on Thursday and will be at the park on Friday and Saturday.

Another screamscape update:

As hard as it is to believe, Screamscape has heard that the replacement track pieces for Maverick may have already arrived on site at the park, less than a week after the park made the announcement. I don’t have a single photo to back this up in any way, but if the pieces are there, I’m sure someone will find them very soon. The tough pill to swallow though is if the track pieces really are already on site, then Cedar Point must have known they were not going to open Maverick on time for weeks now.

Rob

Yes, they cycled trains yesterday, and today as well. A friend of mine is there for a few days, and he called me while standing next to it. He claims the trains are very quiet, and from what I could tell over his cell phone, he's right.

Yes, they cycled trains yesterday, and today as well. A friend of mine is there for a few days, and he called me while standing next to it. He claims the trains are very quiet, and from what I could tell over his cell phone, he's right.

I was there yesterday, and can confirm that they were doing some test runs! Yes, the trains are very quiet when they run, almost silent.

Maverick looks like it's going to be an awesome ride. I've never seen anything quite like that twisted mess of track.

Did T&T ever say what the second "surprise" was? Am I missing something?

Yes it was a old train car from the B&O to go with the theme.

Also here is the link.

Actually, there is still another suprise, which will probably have to do with the tunnel. A report from someone who saw it testing recently said that he heard from the tunnel sounds like the dinging of a railroad crossing, a "meltdown siren" and a cannon being fired. Also, inside the tunnel there where railroad crossing type signs marked "turn back", when I saw the ride on opening day.

Did T&T ever say what the second "surprise" was? Am I missing something?

Yes it was a old train car from the B&O to go with the theme.

Also here is the link.

Actually, there is still another suprise, which will probably have to do with the tunnel. A report from someone who saw it testing recently said that he heard from the tunnel sounds like the dinging of a railroad crossing, a "meltdown siren" and a cannon being fired. Also, inside the tunnel there where railroad crossing type signs marked "turn back", when I saw the ride on opening day.

I don't think the tunnel is it, though. Look at the comment posted here...they say that they won't mention anything regarding the tunnel and that you have to ride it to find out. What could the "surprise" possibly be if it isn't the tunnel?