TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I get what you are saying. I just want everyone to keep in mind that there is a reason for everything that parks do.

While unfortunate as it may be not to be able to run at full capacity, sometimes things happen, and is put of the ride operators hands.

Believe me, it is easier to run the ride than it is to be closed, or running what seems like JUST an emty train.

Yeah sorry I could have worded that better. I have to poke the bear just one more time though and I'm sorry but...

I just want everyone to keep in mind that there is a reason for everything that parks do.

Can you explain the reason for the inconsistent Cedar point rain policy? I won't even argue, I just want to know the reasoning that they used to come up with it and what makes them seemingly change it on a daily basis for each ride (besides Dragster). I just want to understand... lol

Don't hate me forever

I just want everyone to keep in mind that there is a reason for everything that parks do.

I think we are all very well aware of that.

On a positive note, the lights on Valravn's lift hill look amazing!!

Yeah sorry I could have worded that better. I have to poke the bear just one more time though and I'm sorry but...

Can you explain the reason for the inconsistent Cedar point rain policy? I won't even argue, I just want to know the reasoning that they used to come up with it and what makes them seemingly change it on a daily basis for each ride (besides Dragster). I just want to understand... lol

Don't hate me forever

If I worked at Cedar Point, perhaps I could answer that.

Also, Valravn is one sexy looking B&M. Can't wait to ride it. Come on May 17!!!!

Speaking of capacity, I have a question re: the new style of trains shown here. Is the 10-wide dive coaster train at BGW the same effective width as the 8-wide train at CP?

If so, the decision to use the vest restraints ended up costing capacity 6 riders per train... which is a little surprising to me at a park like CP.

Millennium Force's third (yellow) train wasn't used until the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. We were there that day and thanks to their ridiculous new policies they had to cycle it empty ONE HUNDRED TIMES that day before they could load it which they were finally able to do at night.

It's ridiculous that they are ensuring that particular train is safe for you to ride? You are complaining that the third train was not ready? Did you ever think for a split second that there may have been a delay with that train? They are stripped and inspected completely during the off season, then rebuilt. Sometimes, parts are replaced as needed.

Rides are REQUIRED for a minimum number of cycles by different departments. Maintenence, state, operations, etc. From my experience, operations are the last to get control of the ride. Then before they can put anyone on the trains, they must have a minimum number of cycles per ride vehicle.

I can tell you, things do not always go as planned when it comes to commissioning these rides.

As someone who works at a park, I am very offended by you post. How dare you call something that is done for YOUR safety "ridiculous"? Every rule or procedure a park has is for YOUR safety.

"Now back to your regularly scheduled program."

lmao, the anger is amazing. Perhaps I lack bill's tact, and thus am more willing to say certain things. And so: CP has roughly 5 months to get their work done, and it is pretty plain as day when that work isn't finished on time *and* it has not necessarily been improving year over year at doing so. Almost everything in this industry, good and bad, sees "safety" trotted out as a justifying cause. Let's say what was in this thread was true from you and others: the work simply got done late because of mechanical items that needed replacing and work to be done to it. Possible. Cedar Point may not have wanted to pay the money to have people cycle it the prescribed number of times too, causing the late opening. That seems pretty plausible too. Is safety the real reason then that it doesn't open until late May, or is it bean counting? You tell me.

Speaking of capacity, I have a question re: the new style of trains shown here. Is the 10-wide dive coaster train at BGW the same effective width as the 8-wide train at CP?

If so, the decision to use the vest restraints ended up costing capacity 6 riders per train... which is a little surprising to me at a park like CP.

From my recollection, Griffon's trains caused a lot of problems with the lit hill.

I can't wait to be there next weekend! The ride looks fantastic. Look like you can get an amazing picture of Valravn from anywhere it looks like! there goes my phone storage. The gift shop can can take all my money.

Cedar Point may not have wanted to pay the money to have people cycle it the prescribed number of times too, causing the late opening. That seems pretty plausible too. Is safety the real reason then that it doesn't open until late May, or is it bean counting? You tell me.

A lot of Ops are still in school, and it's finals season. More often than not the parks are willing to pay to have people to come in and commission/run the rides, but Ops for specific rides aren't available. There's also the struggle of juggling training and commissioning, though for a park like CP where ride teams are generally one ride it's less of an issue (though still relevant). That slows cycles down. If I was management, I would stack the most available people on one ride (ie Valravn) so it can open without delay, and then less-critical rides (like water rides) could be a lower priority. Of course, I'm not management so they may have their own way of assigning teams.

VF is trying to do the same (get people during the week to commission) and believe me, if I didn't have to be in class/taking finals, I'd be there in a heartbeat running cycles on any ride

Last season, Millennium Forces yellow train was late to the game because they replaced some of the metal on it (on all 3 trains, actually) with fiberglass... and Intamin was late on the shipment.

Last season, Millennium Forces yellow train was late to the game because they replaced some of the metal on it (on all 3 trains, actually) with fiberglass... and Intamin was late on the shipment.

#blameintamin

Not to interrupt the anti-Intamin circle jerk, but practically every time we have to get parts from a manufacturer and ship them, they arrive late or otherwise have problems. From multiple different manufacturers.

Let the planning for their next coaster in about 3-4 years begin.

Oh good, let's start!

GCI woodie in The Shoot the Rapids spot!! Although a RMC reboot of Mean Streak would be better...

The more you bitch, the meaner the streak becomes. Join us on the dark side.

Wait.. isn't the preview tomorrow???

Tonight is the Valravn preview and first rider auction. Barring any special surprises the only ride open tonight is Valravn. All money is going to charity. I'm so jealous of everyone that's there.

Bill, I had the chance to ride mean streak last summer, I thoroughly enjoyed it!

We had a great conversation about what to do for dinner while riding....

All I can think of is...that's Klassy.

While we're waiting...

Left Field Question to you CP guys: What is the oldest coaster operating in the park, now?

Just curious. And too old and lazy to look it up. And if it's one of the kids' coasters, so be it.