TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Common sense isn't so common I'm afraid. I truly agree with the person wondering how they don't see the train when in the area though. I mean, like being in the area is stupid enough, but you CAN be in a restricted area and out of the path. Like, how oblivious do you have to be to a) enter a restricted area b) not think "I should keep my eyes peeled for the lethal hazard in this area c) not see or hear said hazard coming d) avoid said hazard, which is completely possible, e) immediately regret your decision and get the hell out of the area.

Like, truly though. I know trash talking the dead isn't classy, but I've been way too close to this very situation too many times, and spoken to these idiots too many times to have sympathy for the idiocy that values a cell phone above your own personal safety, and ESPECIALLY the safety of others. I have no sympathy for this person.

Again, my sympathies to all the other people this affects, it really is sad.

Updated report says "Man was looking for his cell phone."

Suspicion confirmed. He's totally at fault. But I still think the park needs to have better instruction on what to do if you lose something on a ride.

ugh, much like other things keep it in your pants. If people crave their own POV's so much they don't have to, other people make better POV's even parks are doing their own now.

So...how long do you guys think Raptor will be shut down?

It truly sucks for those planning to be there tomorrow, for the upcoming busy weekend, and into next week with what CP has in store...assuming we have to see it closed for a longer period than expected like at SFOG...

Of course this happens with days before the big announcement. Our world gained another Darwin Award and took us one step closer to "Idiocracy"...

So...how long do you guys think Raptor will be shut ?.

About a weekish. Even though the circumstances are pretty clear, they will still do a full investigation, and very likely the state will come out to inspect and recertify the ride. (Make sure the fences, signs, ops, etc are all up to standards set by the state).

CF may choose to keep it down beyond the mandate for PR or internal reasons, but I'd guess they want it back up and in the past ASAP. Of course, if they move fast, it might be up in only a few days (the the train involved may be out of service for a bit longer than the ride itself.)

An autopsy?

Why? Wtf do you think the cause of death is? I feel bad for this guy's family, but I gotta say that this guy was an idiot. All the low zones at the park have tall black fencing with signs all over them warning people not to go near (as if they should even have to put them up to begin with ). Common sense people. ..common sense.

I sure hope that nobody on the ride was hurt. With raptor being an inverted coaster, people's legs were dangling. Very sad and totally avoidable incident.

^This

Thoughts are with the family of the victim.

Updated report says "Man was looking for his cell phone."

Suspicion confirmed. He's totally at fault. But I still think the park needs to have better instruction on what to do if you lose something on a ride.

Common sense would say to ask one of the rides employees that as I am positive that would've been able to tell you what to do.

When it comes to CP, it really looks like they do one of the best jobs when it comes to low zones as on most of their coasters there is not only one fence surrounding most of the ride area, there is a second taller one covering the lower areas the coaster goes through.

I agree that despite the tragedy, the guy seriously effed up.

The warning signs on the fence are there for a reason - heed them at all costs.

Just like the kid that jumped the fence to get his hat on Batman @ SFOG - he took the risk and it backfired...he's tragically dead now, end of story.

A serious tragedy for the survivors and the park for sure, but completely embarrassing to our society as a whole at the same time.

No one should be monetarily compensated for accidents like this either, but I am sure that there will be a lawsuit filed by the family against the park...and I wouldn't be surprised if they get some type of settlement out of it.

That's what irks me more about this type of accident than anything else. It will somehow still be the parks fault despite his failure to adhere to a (what seems to be) a very common sense rule.

No one should be monetarily compensated for accidents like this either, but I am sure that there will be a lawsuit filed by the family against the park...and I wouldn't be surprised if they get some type of settlement out of it.

That's what irks me more about this type of accident than anything else. It will somehow still be the parks fault despite his failure to adhere to a (what seems to be) a very common sense rule.

The frivolous lawsuits that run amok in our society today irk me to no end! I just can't believe how much stupidity is well compensated in our society...

I'm sorry, it's still just absolutely blowing my mind that some people on this forum were suggesting the park was partially to blame due to a lack of signage. I went through the POV of Raptor just to see how fencing is around the ride and it's ALL OVER THE PLACE! In fact, in some places it looks to be double fenced! And while you can't read the signs from the video grabs, I'm sure they say something like RESTRICTED AREA!

Here's the reality of the situation - they don't need more signs. In fact, they shouldn't even need to have ANY signs. When you have tall fence with locked gates surrounding an obviously very dangerous ride, that's all you SHOULD need. But the world is stupid so there are at least signs on the fences.

The concept that someone would think we would need MORE SIGNS to prevent something like this in the future is just mind boggling. In short, you can't fix stupid no matter how many signs you put up. I'm just really disappointed in some of our members. I would really have hoped we all would have been better than that.

raptor1.thumb.jpg.2a11e618159945eb560c1f2e4a280a28.jpg

raptor2.thumb.jpg.8d4e186ca7aa6518bdd326fe2568cc2f.jpg

raptor3.thumb.jpg.6f82c3b6bf891ae9675298e2caa9d358.jpg

raptor4.thumb.jpg.8ca08e524fba65f6be5d2fe2cf96ace3.jpg

raptor5.thumb.jpg.db2325983ab56a92bc64d18fff8d63f8.jpg

raptor6.thumb.jpg.899955cc7e0c16ebd76458f5bbbf502b.jpg

raptor7.thumb.jpg.bc7aa9bf0dae2e0b837b13eecafe6167.jpg

raptor8.thumb.jpg.8b2b799993afa65d8b0382bad42639b1.jpg

Well said Robb.

But I am sure the media and Lawyers will have a field day with this. Unfortunately, it's the world we live in today.

It's getting to the point, where we are not going to be able to have anything fun in this country because of a few people that have no common sense.

I really hope that the train is okay.

This post literally made me spit water all over the computer screen laughing. And I'm not even upset about that...

Anyway I suppose I should be sympathetic or something so here goes. I'm sorry for the family. I'm sorry for anyone who was on the train and was either physically or emotionally impacted, I'm sorry for the people that didn't get to ride Raptor because someone decided to be an idiot... um. Yeah that's it. That's all I've got. As far as the guy that got hit, you have to be a special kind of stupid to jump multiple fences and then have one of the loudest roller coasters ever sneak up on you when you just climbed over a bunch of signs telling you you were in danger and you're literally standing under the track.

Edited by coasterbill

20368697199_aa00752e66.jpg

I'm actually surprised by the amount of "common sense" coming from the Facebook comments. They're a bit harsh, but most fall along the lines of "what an idiot", "it's restricted for a reason", and "a phone is not worth it." This is the most intelligent I've seen the GP in regards to amusement parks.

And of course there are a few "this is why I don't ride them", "they need more Roller Coaster Laws", and "euthanize roller coasters." Luckily the latter posts are few and far between.

Signs are there to protect the park, not to save lives. Idiots will do as idiots do. Regardless of how specific the signage is on the proper process of phone retrieval- if someone really wants their phone enough to risk their life, they'll do it. No sort of sign will convince anybody to stay out of the restricted area. They are posted for the safety of Cedar Fair, no one else.

That said, I can't imagine this was just a case of a lost phone, ignoring signs, and somehow not knowing the train was coming. This man was in his 40s. I just can't wrap my mind around it, how could this not be intentional. I feel horrible for his family and anyone else who had to witness this.

Out goes the Valravn theming, here comes "PrisonHawk"

[attachment=0]basements-barbed-wire-fence-prison-with-prison-fence-watch-tower-and-barbed-photograph.jpg[/attachment]

Safety first!

Then the park opens itself up to a lawsuit when a person tries to climb that fence and gets caught in the razor wire.