TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

Was there any mention of possible injured guests on the train? I mean... people's legs were dangling...

No other injuries were reported according to news sites.

Glad to hear that... I was thinking he was hit by the Legs of the Passengers? if Not, what caused the trauma ... what hit him?

Could have been the side/corner of the train. Who knows at this point. We'll probably have to wait for the report for any confirmation. Not like that will change anything.

Edited by RissaBooBissa

Was there any mention of possible injured guests on the train? I mean... people's legs were dangling...

Glad to hear that... I was thinking he was hit by the Legs of the Passengers? if Not, what caused the trauma ... what hit him?

According to the press conference with the assistant police chief, who didn't go into much detail because the investigation was on-going, stated that it is their belief that he was struck by the train itself. Whether it was the bottom of the train on a pull-up or if the front row was empty, I don't know, but that's what he stated. He also reiterated that no other injuries were reported to them. We'll see as this all unfolds.

Such a sad incident, but it could've totally been avoided by just not going in to retrieve items. Fill out a form and you may get it back (if the phone even survived the fall and could be located). But as long as you do it the proper way, you'll leave with your life still with you. Still, sad that someone lost their life.

I'm sorry, it's still just absolutely blowing my mind that some people on this forum were suggesting the park was partially to blame due to a lack of signage. I went through the POV of Raptor just to see how fencing is around the ride and it's ALL OVER THE PLACE! In fact, in some places it looks to be double fenced! And while you can't read the signs from the video grabs, I'm sure they say something like RESTRICTED AREA!

I feel like the people saying the park is partially to blame is like blaming the train driver/railway company for not making it clear enough a train is coming when a car gets hit because some-one ignored the flashing lights/beeping sounds/barriers coming down and tried to outrun it.

Autopsy could reveal if he had some sort of underlying medical condition that caused him to mentally lapse and go into the ride area. You never know.

Cell phone addiction was the underlying cause, apparently.

It astonishes me that not only do some people look at their cell phone while driving, some even bicycle or skateboard while texting.

A few years ago I read about some kid who was so busy texting he walked off a cliff, with tragic results.

I hope the family of today's victim does not sue Cedar Point. Maybe they can go around and warn others than cell phone addiction can lead to bad results.

I feel sad for the CP staff who had to deal with the aftermath.

The local media near CP is saying the victim was a school teacher. I guess he wasn't teaching physics.

I haven't seen anyone suggest that the park is to blame. I have seen two people state explicitly that the patron that went into the danger zone is entirely at fault. It's not insane to suggest that the park could do with more direct communication of their loose article policy (by ride operators, signs at ride entrances/throughout the queue, etc.). I personally disagree, but that is a reasonable idea, and is certainly very far from blaming the park. The fact of the matter is that Cedar Fair is a large corporation, and large corporations have to look at every angle. The questions that will be asked internally are along the lines of: "Is the communication of our policies direct enough?" "Are our policies themselves adequate?" "Is there anything that we are not doing that we can do to prevent this from occurring again?"

Personally, I think that the answers are yes, yes, and not much. However, suggesting otherwise does not make someone a "moron" or a "f**king idiot." We should be able to discuss these things without that sort of ridicule. Even if someone were to suggest that the guest were not at fault, it's just an opinion, and we should be responding with a pointed retort, not some cheap insults.

Condolences to those involved.

According to the press conference with the assistant police chief, who didn't go into much detail because the investigation was on-going, stated that it is their belief that he was struck by the train itself. Whether it was the bottom of the train on a pull-up or if the front row was empty, I don't know, but that's what he stated. He also reiterated that no other injuries were reported to them. We'll see as this all unfolds.

Such a sad incident, but it could've totally been avoided by just not going in to retrieve items. Fill out a form and you may get it back (if the phone even survived the fall and could be located). But as long as you do it the proper way, you'll leave with your life still with you. Still, sad that someone lost their life.

I really have no idea what may have happened, and I am obviously just guessing here, but maybe the riders (if there were riders in the row) saw him, and lifted their legs (even if it was just one person who saw it) and he was actually hit by the pink part of the train in the picture below. Seriously just guessing, but given that none of the riders were injured, I am guessing this is what happened.

I hope the family of today's victim does not sue Cedar Point.

The local media near CP is saying the victim was a school teacher. I guess he wasn't teaching physics.

I seriously do not get this whole "I hope the family does not sue the park" thing. Why would they sue the park?? THE PARK DID NOTHING WRONG. That would be like me going, and sitting in the middle of a highway, and then my family suing the state because I was hit and killed by a car.

Also, the victim's facebook (assuming it really is his facebook) said he was a school teacher at Louisville City School District. Hopefully he wasn't teaching "common sense 101."

Edited by DoinItForTheFame

It was pure stupidity, yes, and the park should hold little to no responsibility for the incident. However, I think some of you should go a little easy on the insults. In the end, the only person that was injured was himself, and he paid the ultimate price for it. I think that is enough punishment necessary.

It is indeed sad, though, that such preventable mistakes such as this keep happening at amusement parks. Even though it is truly a freak accident, the media blows it out of proportion and gives the industry a bad name. Unfortunately, these parks need to counteract these incidences by implementing over-the-top guidelines and fail-safes, even though common sense should make them null in the first place. It really, really detracts from the experience of responsible guests and employees

I hope the family of today's victim does not sue Cedar Point.

I seriously do not get this whole "I hope the family does not sue the park" thing. Why would they sue the park?? THE PARK DID NOTHING WRONG. That would be like me going, and sitting in the middle of a highway, and then my family suing the state because I was hit and killed by a car.

Also, the victim's facebook (assuming it really is his facebook) said he was a school teacher at Louisville City School District. Hopefully he wasn't teaching "common sense 101."

It's easy to file a frivolous lawsuit, unfortunately.

A lawyer could persuade the family that the hassle of dealing with litigation would cause CP to settle for something.

There was a case a few months back (?) where someone who was injured but not killed by Ninja at SFMM sued Six Flags even though he had climbed over fences to retrieve a hat (and was hit by the coaster train). Fortunately his suit was dismissed and Six Flags was not found liable (although they still had to waste money and lawyer time defending against this BS). Sorry for the guy's injuries but it should be self evident not to climb into areas where high speed coaster trains are in operation. See the final scene of the movie "Rollercoaster" for details ...

Edited by mark549

Story has made front page of yahoo news. What's frustrating is how much attention this is getting. I feel like Cedar Point is getting punished for something they didn't do. Obviously they are not getting "punished" but they are getting so much negative attention because of this.

I actually know someone who was on the train that struck the guest. What she said was basically that they were in the station and saw a man hop the fence to get into the area. So the place he was hit mustve been in sight of the station. Basically during the ride they heard a bump and thought nothing of it, until when they were stopped on the brake run for 15 minutes. Apparently people on the train at first thought someone fell out and they could see a man lying in the grass all bloody. This is just how she describes it. And eventually someone realized that no one fell out and that the bump must've been hitting the guest. When the train arrived in the station the ride had already been shut and cleared because of the apparently obvious viewpoint of the incident.

That's the explanation I got from her, and it seems to closely match the news descriptions.

So according to Wikipedia, this is the first time anyone has ever died at Cedar Point from an accident. Sucks that their perfect record was tarnished by someone's poor actions

People are becoming dumber by the second.

It's not surprising that the same time selfie sticks become a thing, something like this happens at CP. Go figure.

Kim Kardashian did something again, the media is beginning to flock to her now.

First sending Prays to the park and the Family. It makes me sad to think people love their phones this much. I for one don't even take my phone in to parks with me. its not worth it. i'm there to have fine and not worry about my life back at home. Do we know for sure what part of the ride this happen from what i have seen looks near the Loop?

I actually know someone who was on the train that struck the guest. What she said was basically that they were in the station and saw a man hop the fence to get into the area. So the place he was hit mustve been in sight of the station. Basically during the ride they heard a bump and thought nothing of it, until when they were stopped on the brake run for 15 minutes. Apparently people on the train at first thought someone fell out and they could see a man lying in the grass all bloody. This is just how she describes it. And eventually someone realized that no one fell out and that the bump must've been hitting the guest. When the train arrived in the station the ride had already been shut and cleared because of the apparently obvious viewpoint of the incident.

That's the explanation I got from her, and it seems to closely match the news descriptions.

If this is true then why did nobody say something, or why didn't the ride operators shut the ride down (if guest can see it from the station clearly they should too)? Thats something I think is strange.

Anyway's he it's the guys own fault non the less, he had no right to be there.

Story has made front page of yahoo news. What's frustrating is how much attention this is getting. I feel like Cedar Point is getting punished for something they didn't do. Obviously they are not getting "punished" but they are getting so much negative attention because of this.

This is my first post on it as I wanted to wait. Trust me, I know all about how the media just lavishes a theme park incident. I live 15 minutes from SFOT. So I'm all too familiar with how they handled the Texas Giant accident. The good news is this, so far I haven't seen any frivolous posts by any major or minor media outlets, and I haven't seen people bashing the park, only the person. It's obvious what happened, and even this story is to obvious for our society to mess it up. Even if someone came forth and tried to bash the park, they'd be shot down REAL quick and be outnumbered by a TON. So I wouldn't personally be sweating it too much if I was Cedar Point. They didn't do anything wrong, they know it, the public knows it, and somehow...the media knows it and can't spin it. So while it leaves a dark mark on their legacy, I would still consider the boat flipping on their water ride (which ironically happened the same day of the Texas Giant accident) to be a bigger thing people will recall more. It's a shame what happened, but I don't have to say how foolish he was, we all already know it. I'm flying up in October and I'm just as excited now as ever and fully expect it won't really even cross my mind when I visit.

All this will happen is Matt Ouimet and maybe even Tony Clark will give one of those PR friendly speeches of safety and how the park has had an impressive safety record and how much better they've shown to be with their methods. They'll probably show the signs that we all know exist and the obstacles he had to jump to retrieve his device, along with pointing out the signs on the ride platform that talk about not carrying small items, and showing the park map with their after hours retrieve policy of small items that you lost. They'll be fine, I would expect them to address it during their ride announcement so they can quickly cover it up with the new ride excitement.

First post here.

Don't all of the rides have security cameras, and wasn't one of the live cams pointing at Raptor? There is not any chance they are releasing those tapes to the public.

Cam 1 is on Gatekeeper and Cam 2 is on Gatekeeper / Wicked Twister. They have been for as few days... not that I spend too much time watching them at the office or anything. The live cams weren't on Raptor.

As far as security cameras I have no idea.

Edited by coasterbill

Am I correct in saying that SFoT still has the pouches on NTAG? If so, have they been preventing loose articles from getting lost?

If more coasters had these it could be a very cheap, possibly miracle working solution. Pencil pouches can be found anywhere for like a dollar, and a bag of zip ties is not expensive either.

Yes, I live here 15 minutes from the park and they are great! They have them on Titan as well. But there's no way to have them on a inverted roller coaster like Raptor. We don't have them on our Batman inverted clone here, there's too much space between the rider and the seats in front, and mechanically, there's not a place to mount it on the back of the seats, and the folks in front wouldn't have a place.