TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

If you could go back in time to visit..........

An earlier Era of Theme Parks, where would you go........

*The Russian Ice-Slides of the 17th century.(They started it all)

*Perhaps France in 1817, which featured rides that were locked to a track.

*The Roaring Twenties, when you could have visited the first "Electric Parks"

*The "Early" Coney Island, where you could have rode a Steeplechase, which featured eight horses, where riders rode side-by-side down a long hill.

*Perhaps "Playland" in NY, which was the first early attempt at a "Planned Park".

*Or of course the opening of Disneyland in 1955, which Walt Disney himself once stood........

Regardless, people have always shown their willingness to explore the unknown, it's this desire that will keep new generations of individuals visiting Theme Parks for years to come.............

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd probably like to go to any of those parks you mentioned.

In fact, I've been to Playland in Rye, NY a few times. I was there a couple weeks ago, and for how old it is, the Dragon Coaster is still amazingly smooth and fun. It's nothing intense or really thrilling, but it's definitely my favorite ride there.

On the other hand... Super Flight was a bad idea. Take any crazy mouse, put it in flying coaster form with hard, unpadded plastic cars to lie on top of (most uncomfortable seating EVER), and make it so that the seat sides are as close to the sides of your head as possible. Luckily, the padding spared me a gigantic headache.

Also, Crazy Mouse is a very slow, boring ride which only has one thing to offer: a bunch of non-entertaining lateral G's which can almost be found on the Dragon Coaster, except in more entertaining form.

In terms of coasters, Playland's oldest is also its best.

But anyway, historical parks and coasters do intrigue me, so it's a good idea that you brought this up.

Historically, I would have to say antwhere there was a Harry Traver coaster like the Aeroplane, Cyclone, or original Bobs. And I would love to go back in time when Kings Dominion (not Paramount) had the King Kobra, Galaxy, and the Lost World!!! those rides rocked when I was a young boy.

I don't know about eras, but if I could pick a park to visit it would definitely be Crystal Beach. I don't have many memories of this park because it closed when I was 6, but I remember swimming at the beach and looking up at the Comet, and thinking how I couldn't wait to be tall enough to ride it. Never got to that point.

Hmm....the Traver/Prior & Church era sounds exciting. Especially some of the rides that were coming online during those times.

But, I would have loved to talk to Walt too and just 'pick-his-brain' on how much of a visionary he was during his time era.

OMG! This is a GREAT topic!

If I could go back in time....

Hmm.....

The endless possibilities.....

OH!!!!

I know!!!!

I'd totally go back in time and KICK THE ASS of the kids that STOLE all my Star Wars figures when I was 9 years old!

OMG that bastard!!!

And I had a REALLY kick ass Boba Fett.

At least he didn't take my AT-AT walker.

But yeah....

I never found out who it was.

But if I could go back in time.

I'd go back to the EXACT MOMENT that kid came into our backyard.

And totally KICK HIS ASS!!!!!

Oh, wait...was this supposed to be about theme parks? Crap. *sigh* Meh, I guess I'd go back to last week and get better pictures of the SFMM fire. Yeah, that'd be cool....

--Robb

^^Were you one of those members who received the "Coming next Spring" card during Christmas time when the action figures weren't available yet? (I think it was HASBRO). I think I remember the "empty-box' promise.

I remember getting that card and was pissed because-no action figures~!

I know where I would go,

I would have loved to have visited Waner Park back in teh fifties. Its in Chattanooga but now only has baseball fields and the Chattanooga zoo. Back in teh day it had a big amusement park that sort of competed against Lake Winnie. The only thing is that unlike lake winnie it accepted white people as well as black people, since it accepted both races as a sign of teh times in the south it was mostly visited by black people and white people avoided it. I have seen many pictures and they had a wild looking wooden coaster called Wildcat! It looked great.

During the time segregation was ending the park slowly died simply to the fact that Lake winnie would let black folks in now and the white community would never accept the old warner park. The zoo remained but the rides were demolished! Sad really!

Euclid Beach Park. I'd love to ride the Thriller, Racing Coaster and Flying Turns one more time. They also had some Awesome Flying Scooters.

I've missed that park for a long time.

i was seven when it closed, but i rememeber it well.

Great topic!

Others I would like to go back to: Chippewa Lake, Idora and Americana.

Oh Wow! This topic is right up my street. Mmmm If I could go back in time I would visit Riverview Park, Euclid Beach Park, Idora Park, Meyer's Lake and Belle Vue (Manchester, England).

I have video footage / DVDs of these parks and rides, and when I pop in a DVD I spend an hour or so wishing I could be there, then. (Everything looks better in B&W!)

Simon Baynham (UK)