TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Remember, the existence of brakes only means the train can stop there. Not that it will or even needs to on a general basis. And I'd rather loose the inertia in a set of magnetic brakes than by slamming onto the chain, causing unneeded stress to the chain, chain dogs, and motor. And if the extra seconds help operations get another train close enough to dual, then even better. (Painfully) loosing all your momentum due to gravity then inching up the hill waiting for the other train to catch up would be much worse.

I thought that perhaps the slow progress on TC might be because RMC had a majority of their install crew on the East coast trying to get Wicked Cyclone done so they wouldnt have to deal with the nasty weather in NJ longer than they have to

Oh, oh no. Someone is going to have a very disappointing trip to NJ this year...

I'd rather loose the inertia in a set of magnetic brakes than by slamming onto the chain, causing unneeded stress to the chain, chain dogs, and motor. And if the extra seconds help operations get another train close enough to dual, then even better.

Why? Are you the mechanic who's in charge of repairing it? Why is that of any consequence to you?

(Painfully) loosing all your momentum due to gravity then inching up the hill waiting for the other train to catch up would be much worse.

Why on earth would that be painful? Regardless of how fast you'll be traveling at the beginning of the chain, you'll be going the same speed once you lose enough speed for the chain to take over.

Remember, the existence of brakes only means the train can stop there. Not that it will or even needs to on a general basis. And I'd rather loose the inertia in a set of magnetic brakes than by slamming onto the chain, causing unneeded stress to the chain, chain dogs, and motor. And if the extra seconds help operations get another train close enough to dual, then even better. (Painfully) loosing all your momentum due to gravity then inching up the hill waiting for the other train to catch up would be much worse.

Pretty much this. Plus, if you watch this video (towards 2:26/2:30), that long green stretch of track is the brake run pre-station. And if you look at the photos in this thread, it's angled towards the station, not the lift. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWJY62lZ2rM

Edited by Brisk

Remember, the existence of brakes only means the train can stop there. Not that it will or even needs to on a general basis.

That said, this is Six Flags Magic Mountain so while the train may not stop the first season, at some point in the near future, the ride will be reprogrammed to bring the train to a full stop before letting it on the second lift hill. (Probably about the same time the lift is slowed to a crawl as the trains reach the top of the hill.)

The animation doesn't always have to reflect reality. Now, if they came out and installed twisty bits at the track color change, then uninstalled them and replaced them with the long flat bit, yes. That would be a 'layout change.' Considering this is how it is installed initially, we now know that this is how it always has been planned to be. It's not like they manufactured new bits of track due to some surprise change that we were out of the loop on.

And if you didn't read complaints in the last two pages, what on earth were you reading? lol

I'd rather loose the inertia in a set of magnetic brakes than by slamming onto the chain, causing unneeded stress to the chain, chain dogs, and motor. And if the extra seconds help operations get another train close enough to dual, then even better.

Why? Are you the mechanic who's in charge of repairing it? Why is that of any consequence to you?

Frequent maintenance means frequent downtime, which is of consequence to everyone.

Was superman operating last weekend. Thinking of grabbing a flight down this Saturday (as long as the rain comes in the afternoon). As my daughter wants to try it finally.
Though it rarely operates both sides at once, it's also rarely completely down. I haven't heard anything about it being closed lately. The only major coaster that is closed right now (Obviously other than Colossus) is Scream.

Maybe I'm just not understanding what some of you are saying, but it doesn't seem like you realize the purpose of that brake area before going up the 2nd hill. First I don't think it's going to make ANY difference as far as ride experience is concerned. Second, I don't think it's going to make that much of an impact on the ride, because it will probably act mostly as a trim, and only bring the train to a complete stop in emergency situations.

Blue Track: Right Side: First Lift: Lift A

Green Track: Left Side: Second Lift: Lift B

The brakes before lift B will be used simply as a block to clear the train for dispatch off the top of lift A. Once it clears the block brake, lift A knows the Blue track course is clear, and can let the train go over the first hill. That's pretty much all it is.

Because consider, perhaps, lift B were to stop midway up the lift hill, and lift A happened to continue to push the train over the 1st hill because the block was cleared by the train now stuck on lift B. They need a brake at the bottom of lift B to stop the train on the blue track from doubling up on the same lift chain, at the same time possibly hitting the train that stopped on lift B.

I only see them braking the train to a complete stop in those emergency situations, because other than that stopping the train is not only going to be painful on riders, but unnecessary for the dueling element.

Unnecessary because the same brakes can be used to "trim" the train if it's going too fast before it heads up Lift B. Hopefully dispatches will be somewhat accurate with what they need to be, so the trains are close to each other as they meet on the lift, and the trimming will be minimal. In cases where there are not so accurate dispatches, you might get some heavier trim braking before you head up lift B so the two trains line up fairly well. And if you think about it, it's better this way because it also allows minimal lift-hill lag on Lift B, because the less high it goes up lift B, the less waiting there is for the train on Lift A to catch up to it.

I'm guessing if the train on Lift A doesn't show up within a certain time frame, the train on the green track won't bother trimming or slowing the lift for the train on Lift A, and will just continue the course on its own. The next dispatch will hopefully line up better, and the dueling element will continue.

Hope that clears some things up.

^^I found it ironic that the SFMM page on facebook posted a POV video of the right side of Superman. We all know that's just witchcraft though. The right side operating is just an urban legend that never occurs.

I do recall the car from the right side was missing during frightfest but was back on the track when i visited for Holiday in the park. I also mentioned this in my review of Holiday in the Park several weeks ago, but while in line for X2, I could've sworn I saw what appeared to look like one of Superman's old cars, slightly covered. *speculation, speculation*.

Then again it could be something completely unrelated.

^^Do you mean right as in when you're looking at the ride or as in when you're on the ride? I usually refer to them as when looking at it from the entrance, and when I last visited (December) the right side was open. I haven't really kept track, but that seems to be the more common side.

The story I've heard regarding the old Superman cars is that SFMM donated them to the National Roller Coaster Museum and moved them out to that parking lot to await pick-up. However, the museum has yet to secure the funds required to transport them to Texas. Therefore, they've just been left at their present location since 2011. There's next to no chance of them ever running on Superman again.

The story I've heard regarding the old Superman cars is that SFMM donated them to the National Roller Coaster Museum and moved them out to that parking lot to await pick-up. However, the museum has yet to secure the funds required to transport them to Texas. Therefore, they've just been left at their present location since 2011.

Correct. Same story Tim Burkhart told me when I had a conversation with him at WCB a few years back. Also, there's only 1 car underneath X2.

Considering that replacing chain dogs and such is expensive, especially when you've got 4 trains to maintain, and Six Flags isn't known for sinking a lot of money into maintenance, isn't less wear a good thing?

Why on earth would that be painful? Regardless of how fast you'll be traveling at the beginning of the chain, you'll be going the same speed once you lose enough speed for the chain to take over.

Painful is probably not a great word in this case, but there most certainly is a difference between meeting the chain at the same speed and entering the lift faster than it is moving.

Painful is probably not a great word in this case, but there most certainly is a difference between meeting the chain at the same speed and entering the lift faster than it is moving.

IE: Vekoma Boomerang.

Edited by DJeXeL

IE: Vekoma Boomerang.

I was specifically thinking GIB, since the train and catch car both meet at almost exactly the same speed, and yet you still get airtime when it stops.

I'm sure that what would be painful (and nasty for the trains/chain) would be to meet the chain slower than it's moving.

Does entering the lift faster than the chain really cause that much wear?

I was thinking more like The Beast when you race up the second lift hill before it catches. No discomfort there. That's probably the closest approximation that we can compare by. Of course, they are two completely different kinds of rides, designed by totally different manufacturers, separated by nearly 40 years of advancements in technology. I'm sure RMC isn't going to give us anything to say "ouch" about