TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^ Well if you think about it, not only is Superman double the ride of it's overseas cousin, but SFMM has the added challenge of getting both sides to run at the same time again. Unless the plan is to only convert one side.

I really hope we get the tunnels as well. Thinking about it, blasting backwards into darkness, followed by going face first up the spike facing the ground sounds good to me. Not to mention the added head chopper as you drop back into the tunnel. Add in special effects and perhaps a pre-launch show, and there's your markettable ride.

Coming to SFMM in 2011: Epacse Eht---Namrepus.

Very interesting how Tower of Terror down in Australia has turned its car around. I didn't know they were doing that. Obviously, it's quite possible and should be a very interesting and thrilling experience experience. I will admit that I was skeptical about this, but am glad to be proven wrong.

Eric

What is Project 18?

18th coaster at SFMM 2012

So it's taken 13 years for them to finally make S:TE the extreme ride it's billed to be...cool, b/c without it the ride was just sitting up there dying Imo. Even if it's just one side that's better then what the ride is now imo. I'm sure everyone who's rode S:TE has thought about what if the car was facing the other way and how sick that drop would be. This will bring some much need life to what once was just a ride with a lot of bark with a nibble of a bite.

Now since this seam like it happening in to different places who's idea was this? Did Intamin convince these parks to do this upgrade? Here I was thinking SF/SFMM was the ones mainly behind this transformation and that S:TE was going to be somewhat orginal in that it would be the only one of it's type with backwards cars. Oh well it's still going to be awesome lauching out backwards and falling face first 400 feet

The thing is, though, that you will not feel the floating airtime when you're sitting backwards. That's something I'd miss. Hopefully SFMM will only run one side backwards and leave the other side forward.

Eric

The other theory is that since these are the only two type of these rides built anywhere, the two parks have kept in touch over the years offering back and forth maintanance advice and so forth. So that when one park approached Intamin with the idea, the other park jumped on board as well. Purely speculation on my part though.

Project 18 was recently mentioned on Screamscape as a top secret project thats floating around(LA Times). yeah, probably indicates a new coaster. Now, as far as Superman being closed for a year, they are obviously doing several things to the ride, including a revamp of the entire station...which they did mention in the press release....so, depending on what that could mean, yeah, it could take till next Spring to re-open the ride....

In Australia atleast, It's not just turning the pod around, it's going to be a brand new pod. It's also interesting to note that the article quoted a page back mentions the Pod Launching at 161km/h which is just over 100mp/h, if I understand correctly, the current operating speed of the ride has been around 155km/h.

May I just voice my opinion here and say that this whole "Backwards Superman" sounds quite stupid?

I mean, maybe I'm just old fashioned here, but I would've seen no problem with a nice new launch system, some new effects, and a nice little relaunch pizazz. This sounds like whiplash city, especially considering how fast Superman takes off out of the Fortress of Solitude. Seriously, I think some of you might be underestimating its launch here. If this is what's happening to the ride, I doubt I'd ever ride it again (or at least the reversed side).

I think that, as someone mentioned before, if they do the backward launch (pretty sure it's gonna happen), they would have to tilt the seats back and an angle. This would eliminate the head whip, because your head would be laid back. Whiplash in car accidents usually happens at low speeds, it's not the force, but the sudden jerking motion. In any case if Intamin is doing this with the other coaster as well, I would wager to say that they have worked out all these design issues already.

EDIT- On second thought, why add to the speculation.

Edited by fatdaddy

May I just voice my opinion here and say that this whole "Backwards Superman" sounds quite stupid?

I mean, maybe I'm just old fashioned here, but I would've seen no problem with a nice new launch system, some new effects, and a nice little relaunch pizazz. This sounds like whiplash city, especially considering how fast Superman takes off out of the Fortress of Solitude. Seriously, I think some of you might be underestimating its launch here. If this is what's happening to the ride, I doubt I'd ever ride it again (or at least the reversed side).

I agree with you. Sure, it would be interesting, but there would be a bit of whiplash involved with it. While I don't think it needs a completely brand new launch system, I do think they can remake the LSMs so that they're more power effecient but are even more powerful.

I really don't think a backward launch is practical, as it puts more strain on the people and restraints. Along with that, there would be a lot of aerodynamic problems because of the shape of the vehicle, as well as weight issues, as the vehicle appears to be rear heavy. Don't take this as fact, but it's just my observation. That's why they'd need to design a brand new vehicle in order to launch backwards, and I'm not sure if that's practical for SFMM.

Just to restate what *I* think is possible, I think they might:

Repaint the ride: not necessarily one side Bizarro, one side Superman, but just a repaint to make it look good.

Rehab the vehicles: Replace trim pieces (foam, rubber, padding, etc.), repaint, maybe even get rid of that huge front to allow front riders more exposure to the wind.

Retheme/refurb station: Repaint, add new stuff, redo queue, pretty much just make it new.

Increase launch speed: Refurb or even replace existing LSMs to increase effeciency while decreasing power usage, thus allowing higher launch speed to be attained.

Add theming: Maybe extend tunnel slightly, add theme elements near launch track to better theme the ride.

Decrease noise: Maybe it's just me, but S:TE is WAY too loud! If they found some way to decrease the noise even slightly, I think it may be a good investment.

Add special effects: Any themed soundtrack, fires, explosions, ice effects, water effects, etc. would make the ride more SFMMy.

Increase capacity: Faster ride cycle, quicker loading/unloading procedure, quicker checks, etc. would increase the rides very low capacity.

Maybe it's just me, but once again, adding backward facing cars just doesn't seem like a practical idea.

Edited by Six Flags Enthuseast

I agree with you. Sure, it would be interesting, but there would be a bit of whiplash involved with it. While I don't think it needs a completely brand new launch system, I do think they can remake the LIMs so that they're more power effecient but are even more powerful.

Just an FYI, Superman The Escape doesn't use LIM technology for the launch, it uses LSMs.

How exactly would a backward launch put more strain on the car? The LSMs brake pretty hard but the car seems fine, turning it backwards would not make much difference. Since the car travels forward and back I'm pretty sure it can handle a launch going forward or turned around backward.

I agree with you. Sure, it would be interesting, but there would be a bit of whiplash involved with it. While I don't think it needs a completely brand new launch system, I do think they can remake the LIMs so that they're more power effecient but are even more powerful.

Just an FYI, Superman The Escape doesn't use LIM technology for the launch, it uses LSMs.

Ok, my bad.

^Maybe it doesn't put strain on the car, but it does put a bit on the restraints and people, as both are built to accept forces in the other direction.

I agree with you. Sure, it would be interesting, but there would be a bit of whiplash involved with it. While I don't think it needs a completely brand new launch system, I do think they can remake the LSMs so that they're more power effecient but are even more powerful.

I really don't think a backward launch is practical, as it puts more strain on the people and restraints. Along with that, there would be a lot of aerodynamic problems because of the shape of the vehicle, as well as weight issues, as the vehicle appears to be rear heavy. Don't take this as fact, but it's just my observation. That's why they'd need to design a brand new vehicle in order to launch backwards, and I'm not sure if that's practical for SFMM.

Just to restate what *I* think is possible, I think they might:

Repaint the ride: not necessarily one side Bizarro, one side Superman, but just a repaint to make it look good.

Rehab the vehicles: Replace trim pieces (foam, rubber, padding, etc.), repaint, maybe even get rid of that huge front to allow front riders more exposure to the wind.

Retheme/refurb station: Repaint, add new stuff, redo queue, pretty much just make it new.

Increase launch speed: Refurb or even replace existing LSMs to increase effeciency while decreasing power usage, thus allowing higher launch speed to be attained.

Add theming: Maybe extend tunnel slightly, add theme elements near launch track to better theme the ride.

Decrease noise: Maybe it's just me, but S:TE is WAY too loud! If they found some way to decrease the noise even slightly, I think it may be a good investment.

Add special effects: Any themed soundtrack, fires, explosions, ice effects, water effects, etc. would make the ride more SFMMy.

Increase capacity: Faster ride cycle, quicker loading/unloading procedure, quicker checks, etc. would increase the rides very low capacity.

Maybe it's just me, but once again, adding backward facing cars just doesn't seem like a practical idea.

If I recalled correctly the sign in front of Superman does not state "Something "PRACTICAL" is happening at Superman: The Escape." I mean what's so hard about accepting the possibility of accepting a backwards launch? Seriously I hope most of you know now that the Tower of Terror ride is going to launch BACKWARDS now! If you guys are bringing up problems that might arise if Superman:TE were to launch backwards don't you think they would be taking notes on the T.O.T. I think most of us are not mechanical engineers and I'm pretty darn sure they already looked into all of the "problems" mention here and others that we haven't even thought up. My gut feeling is that Superman:TE will launch backwards and I just hope what's happening to T.O.T. is a sign of things to come for Superman:TE... So please just sit back and enjoy the show, I think we'll all be pleasantly surprised.