TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^Yep, you can walk in there. IDK if it's officially available, it probably is, but I walk through there all the time. I think it's kind of a safer way to get into the park since there isnt a sidewalk along the main driveway.

Same here.

Ive walked past security guards in that area and not a word was said to me.

^^I think that's only during the Summer, during the off-season I don't think its worth it to the park to have valet guys sitting out there when the first parking lot has a tendency to only be half full.

^I would beg to differ. The fleet started with 4 trains. It's down to 2.

But the 2 trains that ARE working are doing the job fine and get rehabbed well (In fact I believe that's why its down right now). Its common practice to take the train with the most problems and retire it for parts, and for a coaster as old as Ninja its doesn't mean the trains that are operational aren't running well. There's no reason to replace the trains for Ninja, they've actually held up relatively well for being 20+ years old.

The problem with Arrow Suspendeds is the track. The swinging of the trains basically yank the rails from the cross ties, making for some lengthy weld repairs from time to time. And as we've seen, not a lot of parks are good at keeping those repairs up to snuff.

^Those two trains are in still in service, but the fact that the park has willingly retired 2 of the other trains says a lot about the coasters future IMO. You can only go so long before you run out of spare parts from gutted train sand those other two trains become "problem" trains as well. Or, as you pointed out, keep paying for the welds. At that point you're faced with the decision that other parks have made as to whether or not the cost of upkeep is worth it.

Given that, I think it's fair to speculate that new trains might be the solution to keeping Ninja around for the foreseeable future. Especially given Six Flags recent history of refurbishing rides as new attractions.

Of course, to be fair...none us really know how far away a decision on Ninja's future really is. So in the mean time all we can do is enjoy the fact the park has a quality coaster for 42" kids.

^Yep, you can walk in there. IDK if it's officially available, it probably is, but I walk through there all the time. I think it's kind of a safer way to get into the park since there isnt a sidewalk along the main driveway.

Same here.

Ive walked past security guards in that area and not a word was said to me.

Thank you both for your comments I'm going to the mountain tommorow and the next day. Expect a short TR here sometime during the week.

The park does offer valet parking in the off-season. They have asked me if I wanted general or valet parking before I gave them my pass during that time of year. When the parking lots aren't very full I usually see buses parked at the front of the second section of the lot, on the other side of the grass area. On crowded days I have seen buses in the valet lot.

^^ I was there on the Sunday of Presidents Day weekend in 2008. Tatsu and Deja Vu had 45 minute lines. Goliath, Batman and Riddler's Revenge were about 20 minutes. Everything else was a walk on. X2 was closed for the remodel or I bet some of the other lines would have been even shorter.

I've got a question for anyone who knows maintenance or park operations. Over the last 3 years every major coaster in the park, except Tatsu, has been closed for maintenance on at least one of my visits. I am not counting Terminator since it has not been there that whole time. Other than Terminator, Tatsu is the only one which has been open on every visit and they have alternated using both stations. Is Tatsu able to run virtually non-stop, without closing for maintenance, because it has two stations?

I've got a question for anyone who knows maintenance or park operations. Over the last 3 years every major coaster in the park, except Tatsu, has been closed for maintenance on at least one of my visits. I am not counting Terminator since it has not been there that whole time. Other than Terminator, Tatsu is the only one which has been open on every visit and they have alternated using both stations. Is Tatsu able to run virtually non-stop, without closing for maintenance, because it has two stations?

I'd say yes. But the alteration of which station Tatsu uses may also depend on the expected park attendance for the day. I'm at the park right now, and when I went on it, it was using only the right station instead of the left.

Not much is going on it terms of construction, but I did see some storage containers where Mr Six's Dance Coaster will go. Roaring Rapids, Deja Vu, and Ninja are still down too.

Ride Count:

X2: 1x

Terminator: 2x

Collosus: 1x

Goliath: 1x

Scream!: 1x

Goldrusher: 1x

Tatsu: 1x

Lines were decently long today. They were playing the Snickers Super Bowl commercial (the one with Betty White in it) in Terminator's outdoor queline. For me, that was the best commercial of the Super Bowl.

So who's heading out to the park tomorrow? Question for people in the area: How has the weather been? Is it shorts weather, or should I wear pants?

I'll be heading up to the mountain tommorow, quite excited actually since I havent been since 2007, so I'll have X2 to try, but Terminator will be my first "decent" woodie (To date all I have ridden have been fairly old, or mediocre examples)

LA weather has indeed been really nice since the last time I was here in winter, Ill be leaving the jumper at home for sure.

I'd say yes. But the alteration of which station Tatsu uses may also depend on the expected park attendance for the day. I'm at the park right now, and when I went on it, it was using only the right station instead of the left.

It seems that way to me too. I have been going there about once a month since mid 2007. If Tatsu needed to close for maintenance on any kind of regular basis, like the other coasters, it seems like I would have seen it happen by now. During that time they have used the left station on about 3/4 of my visits.

Gav and atem122, I hope you have a great day there tomorrow. I'm currently planning to go on 2/28.

West Coast Bash Update!

Six Flags Magic Mountain have announced they will be giving everyone a "Backstage Photo Tour" and while they haven't given me too many details, it sounds like they will be taking us in groups to areas of the park where general public guests normally cannot get photo and videos. This should be awesome for those of you who love photographing rides or just the park in general. And hey, it's just cool to be able to see the park from a "behind the scenes" perspective even if you're not into taking pictures!

Knott's Berry Farm have told us that everyone will be getting a FREE Knott's T-Shirt! In addition to the TPR/Rideworld WCB 2010 Event T-Shirt, Knott's has thrown in some extra swag for FREE!!! So not only do we have the group photo included, but also a shirt! Awesome!

If you have not registered yet for West Coast Bash 2010 we highly recommend you do so before the event SELLS OUT! Register here:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/store/index.php?categoryID=14

--Robb