TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I thought I might chuck this in this topic because someone might find it useful in the future when it shows up in searches (I've asked this same question in the past), but I've finally worked out a reasonably practical way to get to SFMM on public transport/transit that will get you there in time for opening, and wont force you to leave too early, and wont cost a heap like those organized coach tours. I did this on my Presidents day visit and it worked perfectly.

The key is to take ake tthe 757 "Noho Express" commuter bus run by Santa Clarita transit, which departs outside North Hollywood station (on Lankershim Blvd) on the LA metro red line subway (This is one station north of Universal City, which is the station at Universal)

It takes about 35 minutes to get up to the Valencia bus station, and costs $2.50 each way.

It runs roughly once every hour from early in the morning, and on weekdays the last one from Valencia back down leaves at 8:22pm at the time of writing ( on weekends the last one leaves earlier at 6:33) so you should be able to have a decent amount of time up there. No point linking to the timetable page since these change frequently anyway...Google it.

From the Valencia bus station (Called the McBean transfer station) you can.

-Take a local bus to SFMM (The connections aren't that good to be honest, plus you don't avoid that leaving early problem)

-Take a Taxi

-Go on foot. Valencia is a nice place, and the walk up takes about 40 mins (4 km) to get to the park. I was even treated to the sight of the burnt out "TPR clubhouse" on my way there). Plus you can be a proper enthusiast and take photos of X2 from the road in

I suppose if you are down in Anaheim then getting to Union station (Southern terminus of the Red Line) might still be annoying (Though I'd recommend using the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner trains instead of Metrolink because they are more frequent) But if you are staying in the Universal area then this should be a fairly simple trip.

So to sum up, those visiting LA without a car are best to try SFMM on a weekday, and might find it easier to perhaps spend part of your stay in the city near Universal to make doing SFMM and USH easier.

Edited by Gav

For the LA people, you can take the 792 from Century City or UCLA in the morning, and it'll take you right to a transfer which goes right to the park. The only downside is that the last returning 792 that goes back to LA leaves at 6. And it only runs on weekdays.

-Go on foot. Valencia is a nice place, and the walk up takes about 40 mins (4 km) to get to the park. I was even treated to the sight of the burnt out "TPR clubhouse" on my way there).

LOL! That's awesome! Did you get a picture for your trip report?

I suppose if you are down in Anaheim then getting to Union station (Southern terminus of the Red Line) might still be annoying (Though I'd recommend using the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner trains instead of Metrolink because they are more frequent) But if you are staying in the Universal area then this should be a fairly simple trip.

So to sum up, those visiting LA without a car are best to try SFMM on a weekday, and might find it easier to perhaps spend part of your stay in the city near Universal to make doing SFMM and USH easier.

Amtrak is hardly a reliable way to get into LA. They are almost always running behind schedule.

Metrolink and the LA Metro 460 bus (picks you up at Disneyland Harbor boulevard entrance) are the two best ways to get into LA from Anaheim without renting a car.

OMG, I am laughing my ass off at the comments on SFMM's facebook about the commercial shoot.

This is why you never ever go to the general public for stuff like this!!! They should have come to us and we could have provided everyone they needed!

Seriously, if you need a laugh, read the comments! Amazing!!!

OMG, I am laughing my A$$ off at the comments on SFMM's facebook about the commercial shoot.

This is why you never ever go to the general public for stuff like this!!! They should have come to us and we could have provided everyone they needed!

Seriously, if you need a laugh, read the comments! Amazing!!!

Do you have a direct link Elissa? Thanky.

those comments were hilarious!

what's up people?!

I'm planning on going to SFMM (for my 8th time) next march 20.

is this date too packed?

does anybody knows if are there any games closed? you know...deja vu is ussually closed.

thnxxx

cheers!!!

PS. if is there someone from san diego, we'll rent a big-ass van for 15 passengers and we have some extra spaces.

instead of buying food from the park, we'll make a BBQ in the parking lot, a little one, hot dogs, hambs, etc.

just let me know

^See if this works: http://www.facebook.com/SixFlagsMagicMountain?v=feed&story_fbid=343738362124

Facebook has been screwier than normal lately.

at the MULTIPLE comments asking if it was at the Six Flags Magic Mountain in Valencia, as if there was one elsewhere. Not to mention that they are actually posting on the facebook page of the park that is IN Valencia. Oh, the GP.......

those comments were hilarious!

what's up people?!

I'm planning on going to SFMM (for my 8th time) next march 20.

is this date too packed?

does anybody knows if are there any games closed? you know...deja vu is ussually closed.

thnxxx

cheers!!!

PS. if is there someone from san diego, we'll rent a big-A$$ van for 15 passengers and we have some extra spaces.

instead of buying food from the park, we'll make a BBQ in the parking lot, a little one, hot dogs, hambs, etc.

just let me know

Theme Park Review is hosting a large event at the park that day, so if you like to ride the roller coasters with no lines, have some meals, meet more roller coaster loving people, and a lot of fun, then you should sign up!

http://www.themeparkreview.com/events/westcoastbash_2010.pdf

That's the flyer! There's a ton more information all over the site if you just look.

^ There was a chance of it back about 2005 or 2006, but it went away pretty quickly. I guess some people haven't figured out that the installation of a major coaster and some new shows with more to come means that the park will remain open for awhile.

Eric

^Nah, LA people are smart enough to know that. Unfortunately, people still cheer for the Raiders like they're in LA (when they should be cheering for the closest football team that's about a 2 hour drive south).

Six Flags Enthuseast, this comment from the "extras" post on SFMM's Facebook page should make you feel a bit better:

Here's my opinion on this why Six Flags why wouldn't you allow your younger coaster enthusiest do what we do which is ride coasters we make up a great portion of ur riders I'm thinking CF would allow us to be able to be in media day