TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

From my visit last week the employees definitely seemed 'better', but we still saw:

- Employees half out of uniform

- Employee on iPod

- Employee SMOKING IN VIEW OF GUESTS!!!

And this was not riding anything, just roaming employees.

Is Bob L. still Operations Manager? If so I can tell you that things will improve as that man is one of the best in the business. I was fortunate enough to work for him at SFAW and dealt with him when he was GM at Waterworld and Splashtown and can tell you from first hand experience that he is the best. I hope he is still there as if anyone can make operations work at that park, he can. He is the right man for the job.

^^Woow.....after I read the 'terms and condions' for working at a Cedar Fair park the other day....you will be yelled at for having a gotee or beard! Hate to see what happened if you got caught smokin, on iPod, or stuff like that! Otherwise, Ninja is look pretty new....but X doesnt look so good ><...hopefully the ride experiance is better

Mike: care to answer the guys question?

-Joey "never heard that name before" Mandel

Sorry I did not see a question, but back in the day that kind of stuff would not be tolerated by anyone in Six Flags Management. I remember seeing employees being fired for walking past a piece of trash without picking it up. Being out of uniform? Your were gone! Smoking in front of the guests? You were gone. No Ipods or cell phones back then but I would imagine they would be firing offenses also. I worked for SFAW 20 somthing years ago, and I saw a lot of people fired for much less and there were a ton of people waiting to take their place.

Yes, those days are gone at Six Flags as I have seen everything described at more than one park. I know that it starts at the top and people have to be able to enforce standards and I think that is where the problem is. Is it and HR thing? I don't know. I know there used to be a waiting list to work at Six Flags parks and now it seems they will grab anyone they can so maybe they can't afford to enforce things like they could in the good old days.

Maybe some of you remember Magic Mountain from the 70's and early 80's. How was it then?

I never worked for Cedar Fair so I have no idea how they do things, but from my visits, they seem to run a tighter ship and have higher standards and like I said before, I think that starts at the very top.

Make employees want to keep their job and know there are consequences.

^^Long gone are the days of "people waiting to take your place." There's very few entry level theme park jobs that are in high demand (USH studio tour guide and entertainment department jobs are all I can really think of...)

It's just a problem that's 100000x worse because of the awful management, low pay, lack of extra benefits, etc. that SFMM has had for so long.

I went to the mountain today, there were a few employees on cell phones, and one solving a Rubiks Cube. I'll post some pictures from the day later. Anyway, did anyone notice, they've fixed the fan in Batman's queue line, and I noticed the sounds playing, did they just fix this? It didn't work when I went last month. Also, I noticed Mr. Six's bus from the commercials backstage, behind Batman, was that there before, or did I just not notice it? Oh, and the Carousel has reopened.

Okay, Here's some pictures from Saturday:

100_2191.jpg.ecee4a4f7004f1dd6f7bb6b36b6207d0.jpg

I like this shot, anyway, it's nice to see that the park is improving, I noticed a lot today, things being repainted, queue sounds working, etc. It's a nice change.

100_2152.jpg.562cd70ff8ffaf46444090ccc6c49657.jpg

I thought this was funny.

100_2204.jpg.c67bf1b1e17df2c88126f2feed91e814.jpg

OMG, the fan is spinning!!! All the sounds in the tunnel were playing again too!

100_2171.jpg.88c4596dcebd18106e1ed69b6775a091.jpg

Later in the day, the barricade was back in place.

100_2042.jpg.0916838630bb6272ec71e459464bb771.jpg

Random paint bucket.

100_2041.jpg.0da4e3a66fa8e7b66ec18528f7ff8b16.jpg

Ninja sure is looking nice!

100_2046.jpg.00222d2d256078c23cae0b435a506b05.jpg

That's a lot of lights!

100_2044.jpg.ded5571c289716725a5b5f8216314c62.jpg

TIRES!!!

100_2043.jpg.e9d3ac0825abfd4b1dfaa74c30de3875.jpg

More Caution tape.

100_2048.jpg.456cad905cfa436f8dee92452deb2f64.jpg

Much to my disappointment, they had cautioned off just about everything. :(

100_2051.jpg.a4b890b313e4a532290ff6a6ca09011f.jpg

Surprisingly, this area was open, giving me a chance to get closer to Psyclone.

100_2102.jpg.3214ae33202da438dd282f25062f3d02.jpg

The Carousel reopened today. It looks nice.

100_2135.jpg.b06ae4865231b63a95c07e0338d8d7e6.jpg

I like this guy, he was actually trying to solve a Rubik's Cube in his spare time!

100_2145.jpg.14e61e75f6f2c18df2c21fb9f7c364be.jpg

Hmm, typical. I saw several people like this throughout the day. Even the sheriff department officers were chatting away on their phones.

100_2036.jpg.f88cf0acdc8069ba9966f510bdd597a6.jpg

Not much closed today, Deja Vu is missing from the list though.

100_2100.jpg.746000d7efc1a6be7b11b9ae0f650370.jpg

It's really nice to have X open again!

Glad to see Magic Mountain heading in the right direction. My trip there a few years back wasn't very great, but if the park keeps improving like this, I might make a return trip. I know its all small stuff now, but seeing a clean, freshly painted park, with almost all attractions open is much different than the Magic Mountain I experienced a few years ago. Maybe Six Flag's new management does know something about running an amusement park.

I hope someone gets pictures of Psyclone's dismantlation. (Yes, I made up a word...) The Texas Cyclone's demolition was captured on film, so I trust that some kind SFMM employee will put his/her camera to good use!

Eric

Yep, that was me( i caught it on the way to work and i almost panicked). google astroworld in the videos, it's up. I have clearer versions on my server. PM me for links.

It is very nice to see things taking shape, I hope the trend continues.

As for the comment about Six Flags new management knowing how to run an amusement park, I think this is a learning experience for them.

Maybe the new Six Flags owners/management will take a look at Disneyland over the past 10 years. Old management let the place go to hell causing attendace to drop. New management fixes the park up to how it looked years ago and attendance is awesome.

Many times the corporate world loses grasp of the most simple concepts.

THE FAN! THE FAN! Its alive! That's about all i care about. Heres kinda my list of what I want to see.

- Batman's Line Scenery repainted / cleaned up

- Goldrusher Repainted

- Colossus Repainted

- A lot of stuff just needs cleaning = Pressure Washer

- Tatsu Run Three Trains / Both Stations

- Any maybe a lot more paint

Just my thoughts

-Ryan

Yeah, lots of painting going on, I wouldn't be surprised to see even more repainting in the coming weeks, I think it'd be interesting to see Superman repainted. Ninja looks just amazing, seriously, pictures don't do it justice. I'm extremely happy to have the fan spinning and the sounds playing again! I even took a short 4 sec. clip of it spinning when I saw it. I'll post it if anyone wants me to.

Eh, I never remember hearing the sounds..probably because its been busted for so long!

But Colossus SERIOUSLY needs a repaint. With the mix of rust, chipping paint, and the track that used to be red. Its just an eye sore. I think I recall Jahan saying to me that it used to be a photogenic ride! But with it looking like crap...its kinda hard to say that now

Superman getting a repaint kinda leaves me on the fence. I'm not sure if I like or dislike this idea. I mean, I hate the ride in General. Its a waste of metal. But on the other hand, if you are going to keep it, open up both sides and I guess make it appealing. In this case, a color scheme may be what it needs

I'm REALLY glad to hear about the repaints. I do recall myself commenting to someone when I was last there that the place really needs some elbow grease..and A LOT of it. I really noticed up climbing "The Mountain" and near Deja Vu. But I'm glad that progress is being made.

Now the question is...will it stay this way?

-Ryan

Eh, I never remember hearing the sounds..probably because its been busted for so long!

But Colossus SERIOUSLY needs a repaint. With the mix of rust, chipping paint, and the track that used to be red. Its just an eye sore. I think I recall Jahan saying to me that it used to be a photogenic ride! But with it looking like crap...its kinda hard to say that now

-Ryan

Colossus used to be red?