TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I wish they would rip it out and put a clone of Smiler in that area! Call it, Joker and theme it with that type of stuff.

That's actually a great idea, a Smiler clone would totally fit on Green Lantern's footprint.

^You guys already talking about a new coaster. I think sfmm should improve there park experience and kids and family rides first. Instead of a big new coaster, how about a family sized one.

Green Lantern is absolutely amazing. The intensity is unmatched, and that final turn into the brakes can be one of the most fun elements out there depending on your orientation through it.

Green Lantern is honestly the worst coaster I've ever ridden. It's even worse than that POS Flashback that SFMM had back in the 90s. It's just painful and really not any fun. I've ridden it 8-10 times trying to see if I could get a good ride and they were all terrible. The last time I rode, it was so bad that I said never again. The S&S Free Spins look like fun though and I'd be willing to give them a chance. There's a reason SF is installing those now and they never built another Zac Spin.

Green Lantern is absolutely amazing. The intensity is unmatched, and that final turn into the brakes can be one of the most fun elements out there depending on your orientation through it.

Green Lantern is honestly the worst coaster I've ever ridden. It's even worse than that POS Flashback that SFMM had back in the 90s. It's just painful and really not any fun. I've ridden it 8-10 times trying to see if I could get a good ride and they were all terrible. The last time I rode, it was so bad that I said never again. The S&S Free Spins look like fun though and I'd be willing to give them a chance. There's a reason SF is installing those now and they never built another Zac Spin.

Thank you for sharing your opinion!

I love Green Lantern

^You guys already talking about a new coaster. I think sfmm should improve there park experience and kids and family rides first. Instead of a big new coaster, how about a family sized one.

Well once SFMM makes an effort to improve those areas of the park you mention with some consistence, then that's what we'll talk about.

Hate GL:FF! Being 6'2 it is not a great ride for my height or any height actually. It sucks!

I wish they would rip it out and put a clone of Smiler in that area! Call it, Joker and theme it with that type of stuff.

6'1 here, and I thought Green Lantern was a lot of fun. Love the intensity.

I've found it isn't so much a height thing that causes pain on Green Lantern, it's more so the lack of knowledge of how to properly sit while on the ride.

I dunno man, Flashback was PRETTY BAD!

I actually probably would have never ridden Green Lantern, but my brother loves it so he made me go on it a year or two ago and it was very intense. I enjoyed it more than I remember when I rode the one at Grona Lund. But again, typically when I go to the park I just skip it.

I've found it isn't so much a height thing that causes pain on Green Lantern, it's more so the lack of knowledge of how to properly sit while on the ride.

Spoken like a true Coaster Enthusiass... Congratulations on your supreme knowledge!

I haven't ridden the S&S Free Spins, but if I could pick 5 coasters I've ridden to be burned with fire, never to return again, GL:FF would be one of them! (And Mean Streak would NOT be, for comparison...)

Green Lantern is honestly the worst coaster I've ever ridden. It's even worse than that POS Flashback that SFMM had back in the 90s. It's just painful and really not any fun.

I actually quite liked Flashback — even though the train design made it painful to ride. Green Lantern though is absolute garbage. Worst coaster I've ever ridden as well — by a long shot.

Green Lantern was a good ride up to a couple years ago when you used to actually spin when you were supposed to not it be just whiplash now. Does anyone know what they did to make it this way? I know they were having problems with trains returning upside to the station is that the main reason they adjusted it? Any chance they would revert it back to the way it was? I used to ride it several times in a row using the single rider line, but as of the last year I don't even consider riding it anymore.

I've had some really intense rides on GL!! Most of them result in pain, but I don't mind too much because the experience is so different than any other ride. I can't imagine MM will keep the ride forever, it rarely has a line and guests constantly complain about it. I wonder if MM would ever replace it with an S&S model, I dont see how they'd get a ROI though. I feel like guests would just view it as a slightly bigger GL.

Here's a true GL story... After my brother and I rode our miserable ride on the thing, he realized that he had lost his keys on it. Given that he had driven, and was our only way home, it was paramount that we recover them at some point that day. We let a ride op know about it, and much to our surprise, he went over to look where we saw them laying on the ground, opened up a gate, and went in and got them - while the ride was still operating! We were glad to get the keys back, but that was definitely shocker to see!

Hate GL:FF! Being 6'2 it is not a great ride for my height or any height actually. It sucks!

I have ridden this thing multiple times and tried to get the proper position and regardless how hard I try,it beats my calves & shoulders up. I have conquered X2 and how to ride it without getting beat up, so I though I would try the same on GL. Nope......... it is horrible and needs to go!

I must admit though. Last year at the TC early season pass event. TC wasn't ready so I went to GL and the op's asked us if we wanted the ultimate spin experience. So he put me on one side and 2 kids on the other. HOLY CRAP! We were spinning so hard that I thought I was going to get sick. When we came back into the station we were in such a tilt that they had to come and maneuver us back in.

Green Lantern was a good ride up to a couple years ago when you used to actually spin when you were supposed to not it be just whiplash now.

Really? I rode it when it first opened and it was atrocious then. I won't go on it anymore, but I see it spin like crazy these days.

Green Lantern was a good ride up to a couple years ago when you used to actually spin when you were supposed to not it be just whiplash now.

Really? I rode it when it first opened and it was atrocious then. I won't go on it anymore, but I see it spin like crazy these days.

i thought it was the other way around. it spun a lot new, and after they added that side thing, it doesn't as much. when i've watched it recently, i hardly see it flip.

Hey guys,

Looking to travel to SFMM during the summer. I know we all hate when people ask what kind of lines there are at a certain date, so I looked it up and apparently its a "ghost town" according to some crowd calender. Are schools in session during this time?

Also, I have been to some pretty hot places but the week that I would go, apparently the temperature is gonna be like high of 35 degrees that week, and at a theme park that would get really hot.

When its this hot, what would you do? We are planning on going for 1 or 2 days, and likely we would get platinum/gold flash passes even if the lines are like 45 minutes. Our plan would be just to make the "reservation" thing on the flash pass and sit somewhere air conditioned then go ride the ride and go back to somewhere indoors.

Hey guys,

Looking to travel to SFMM during the summer. I know we all hate when people ask what kind of lines there are at a certain date, so I looked it up and apparently its a "ghost town" according to some crowd calender. Are schools in session during this time?

There are summer schools at local colleges and whatnot, but no, school's aren't in session during the summer so the park will most likely be very busy. You might have better luck going on a Monday or a Tuesday, but from now until about September, it'll most likely be the opposite of "ghost town."

Also, I have been to some pretty hot places but the week that I would go, apparently the temperature is gonna be like high of 35 degrees that week, and at a theme park that would get really hot.

35 degrees is about 95 degrees, right? For a summer day in Valencia, 95 degrees would be about average, but I'd count on experiencing temperatures even higher than that. That area hits triple digits quite easily and it's one of the hottest areas around LA.

When its this hot, what would you do? We are planning on going for 1 or 2 days, and likely we would get platinum/gold flash passes even if the lines are like 45 minutes. Our plan would be just to make the "reservation" thing on the flash pass and sit somewhere air conditioned then go ride the ride and go back to somewhere indoors.

If you get a platinum pass, I doubt you'd need 2 days there. If you really struggle with the the heat, you might be better off spending two half days there though. As far as "sitting somewhere air conditioned" goes, I can't think of many places in the park that have air conditioned seating aside from the handful of sit-down eating places — which are usually packed with people eating. There are shaded areas and plenty of misting zones, but the truth is that the Cali heat is very dry and it's not that hard to handle once you get used to it. I'm not a fan of summer weather myself, but I don't find the dry heat to be that bad. Just make sure you're doused in plenty of sunblock.

I have ridden this thing multiple times and tried to get the proper position and regardless how hard I try,it beats my calves & shoulders up. I have conquered X2 and how to ride it without getting beat up, so I though I would try the same on GL. Nope......... it is horrible and needs to go!

I must admit though. Last year at the TC early season pass event. TC wasn't ready so I went to GL and the op's asked us if we wanted the ultimate spin experience. So he put me on one side and 2 kids on the other. HOLY CRAP! We were spinning so hard that I thought I was going to get sick. When we came back into the station we were in such a tilt that they had to come and maneuver us back in.

Can you please tell me where and how to ride X2 without getting thrown around like a helpless rag doll?

I'll be there at the end of June, probably on a Thursday. My plan is to reserve some Platinum Flash Passes a few days prior, try to get there at opening, hit up TC first, then get the Flash Passes. Any other advice?

Hey guys,

There are summer schools at local colleges and whatnot, but no, school's aren't in session during the summer so the park will most likely be very busy. You might have better luck going on a Monday or a Tuesday, but from now until about September, it'll most likely be the opposite of "ghost town."

35 degrees is about 95 degrees, right? For a summer day in Valencia, 95 degrees would be about average, but I'd count on experiencing temperatures even higher than that. That area hits triple digits quite easily and it's one of the hottest areas around LA.

If you get a platinum pass, I doubt you'd need 2 days there. If you really struggle with the the heat, you might be better off spending two half days there though. As far as "sitting somewhere air conditioned" goes, I can't think of many places in the park that have air conditioned seating aside from the handful of sit-down eating places — which are usually packed with people eating. There are shaded areas and plenty of misting zones, but the truth is that the Cali heat is very dry and it's not that hard to handle once you get used to it. I'm not a fan of summer weather myself, but I don't find the dry heat to be that bad. Just make sure you're doused in plenty of sunblock.

Actually now that I think of it, I spent a couple weeks in la quinta where it gets 110+ degrees during august, I could handle that VERY well relative to the heat, but its super dry. In florida it was much less but due to the humidity I literally had to go back inside after less than an hour of being outside.

I hope Valencia is as dry as La Quinta.

We will either be staying at Disneyland or SFMM (depending who ends up coming on our trip) but if we stay at DIsneyland, we could probably do it in one day, maybe come back a second time if someone else wants to come as well. But if the lines are from 30 minutes-2 hours we are likely getting the gold/platinum pass anyways, so I guess the lines won't really matter. Allthough it would be nice if we were able to get on some of the bigger rides more often, but I think there are limits? Also do we really have to pay extra per ride to get on x2??? Even with the platinum pass?

We will either be staying at Disneyland or SFMM (depending who ends up coming on our trip) but if we stay at DIsneyland, we could probably do it in one day, maybe come back a second time if someone else wants to come as well. But if the lines are from 30 minutes-2 hours we are likely getting the gold/platinum pass anyways, so I guess the lines won't really matter. Allthough it would be nice if we were able to get on some of the bigger rides more often, but I think there are limits? Also do we really have to pay extra per ride to get on x2??? Even with the platinum pass?

X2 is an extra fee on both Gold and Platinum flash passes. My advice is to buy the flash pass online, go straight to X2 at opening, and then go grab your flash pass. There is a separate line for people that purchase the flash pass online and it's usually much shorter than the walk up line. You get a single ride on TC and FT on the Gold & Platinum flash passes now, but single rides on Superman & New Revolution are only available on the Platinum. One bonus of the Platinum pass is being able to ride twice without having to get back in line. If you do the Platinum, you should be able to ride everything with multiple re-rides. With the Gold, you should still be able to ride everything, but only a few re-rides. I think my personal best with the Platinum is around 46 total rides in one day.

Actually now that I think of it, I spent a couple weeks in la quinta where it gets 110+ degrees during august, I could handle that VERY well relative to the heat, but its super dry. In florida it was much less but due to the humidity I literally had to go back inside after less than an hour of being outside.

I hope Valencia is as dry as La Quinta.

Looking at the web page everything except FT and TC is included with the Gold and Platinum. FT and TC are add ons - when I was there in 2014 I believe it was a $15 add on per pass per ride (add ons were X2 and TC at the time).

It also says: "Additional fee upgrade available with Gold or Platinum. Single reservation only." for X2.

I went through the process of adding a few Flash Passes to my cart, however I don't see any place to add the extra rides. So, I assume you ask for the add ons when you pick up your Flash Passes? Does anyone know how much the add ons cost these days?