TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

The nice thing about the dueling is that it will probably always be available for enthusiast events. There will have to be a computer system on the ride's lift hills to speed up or slow down for the dueling to ever work, so I don't see a situation where the option is not there, unless they go all Dueling Dragons and use the system against itself.

Forgive the probably stupid question from an interested Brit.

I enjoyed watching old and new Colossus vids - it's like a giant version of my home town coaster the Grand National.

But why such an aggressive trim brake on that half way (ish) flat section - looks like it utterly killed the ride. Was it because the last section would be too intense at full speed (wouldn't have thought so) or was the structure getting to rickety?

Those last few hills might have been great fun at full speed - as it was it crawled round that last turn around like the old Southport Cyclone!

I enjoyed watching old and new Colossus vids - it's like a giant version of my home town coaster the Grand National.

But why such an aggressive trim brake on that half way (ish) flat section - looks like it utterly killed the ride. Was it because the last section would be too intense at full speed (wouldn't have thought so) or was the structure getting to rickety?

Those last few hills might have been great fun at full speed - as it was it crawled round that last turn around like the old Southport Cyclone!

That section used to be a cool double down and in pics you can see the original track under it in the structure. I believe that brake was added so they could add another block to run more trains originally then it turned into trims because..... it's MM, or for some other reason. Yeah, it did kill the rest of the ride pretty much.

For the trains to be in those positions, the second train would have to be dispatched immediately after the first train disconnects from the lift hill. Even then, I don't think the second train would travel that far up the hill by the time the other one reaches the MCBR. Either way, that will never happen at SFMM!

For the trains to be in those positions, the second train would have to be dispatched immediately after the first train disconnects from the lift hill. Even then, I don't think the second train would travel that far up the hill by the time the other one reaches the MCBR. Either way, that will never happen at SFMM!

that could happen when you completely stop on those mid course brakes. which has been happening to me pretty frequently. but yeah, they'd still have to dispatch the train a bit before the other train hits the mid course brake.

another sad capacity issue on YOLO is after the train waiting to get into the station is let go, by the time it gets into the station, the other one is just about back. someone really should have thought about that in the design. it's what makes 2 train operation barely better than one.

That section used to be a cool double down and in pics you can see the original track under it in the structure. I believe that brake was added so they could add another block to run more trains originally then it turned into trims because..... it's MM, or for some other reason. Yeah, it did kill the rest of the ride pretty much.

There was a lady who was ejected and killed in 1978, I dont know if it was in response to that or not, but when Six Flags bought the park in 1979 they thought the ride had way too much downtime and that the downtime was because the ride was "too extreme" so they had a company come in and figure out ways to change the ride to make it less stressful on the coaster and the guests, and one of the main ways they did that was changing that double dip section into a flat mcbr.

Ok, so it's the first time California will have had a coaster with lots of crazy Intamin style airtime.
I'd still argue Gold Striker. It's really kind of California's best kept coaster secret, you don't realize how amazing it is until you ride it. There isn't any one statistic you can look at like speed or height or drops or inversions (none), but it's just pure fun and filled with airtime. Most videos don't do it justice, but this one does - specifically skip to 4:41 in this video:

Sorry don't mean to get on a CGA kick, it's related to TC, I'm not trying to hijack the thread. On topic, I think TC may end up being even better.

Ok, so it's the first time California will have had a coaster with lots of crazy Intamin style airtime.
I'd still argue Gold Striker. It's really kind of California's best kept coaster secret, you don't realize how amazing it is until you ride it. There isn't any one statistic you can look at like speed or height or drops or inversions (none), but it's just pure fun and filled with airtime. Most videos don't do it justice, but this one does - specifically skip to 4:41 in this video:

I've ridden Gold Striker, I agree it's very good, certainly one of GCI's best designs, but it's still not on the same level of crazy ejector airtime that you get with the better Intamin's and RMCs. When you're talking about something like Piraten, NTAG, Bizarro, El Toro, or Balder, there is really nothing quite on par in California. But Gold Striker is probably the next best thing, for now.

There was a lady who was ejected and killed in 1978, I dont know if it was in response to that or not, but when Six Flags bought the park in 1979 they thought the ride had way too much downtime and that the downtime was because the ride was "too extreme" so they had a company come in and figure out ways to change the ride to make it less stressful on the coaster and the guests, and one of the main ways they did that was changing that double dip section into a flat mcbr.

Sorry don't mean to get on a CGA kick, it's related to TC, I'm not trying to hijack the thread. On topic, I think

TC may end up being even better.

Hairtime!

People keep saying the ride was shortened, but has it really? Sure, the total track was cut down, but you could never ride more than 4,300ft at one time anyway. So in that sense the hasn't been shortened at all.

Both sides of Colossus = 8,650 feet. Both sides of Twisted Colossus = 4,990 feet. With two lift hills the ride could have been much longer. Or if they kept the two sides separate you could've ended up with two average-sized RMCs.

Edited by neil009

Not to get off topic but yesterday I found the worlds worst invention while exiting Apocalypse, Croc Bags. Yes, bags that look like and are made from the same materials as Crocs. I don't even.

1640384145_Lgg2676.thumb.jpg.ff60c1fa986a699c76d716e2180d50ad.jpg

My friend is not impressed by these.

726347908_Lgg2677.thumb.jpg.e497ed7d6bdd58ea7c38386bf85dd546.jpg

Who thought these would sell?