TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

^I don't think anyone is questioning whether or not the business model SFMM uses is profitable for them. It's always reported SFMM does well for the chain.

I don't feel that either, I just feel as though people don't acknowledge the possibility MM has higher operating costs than other parks of the same calibre due to it's location and the number of large roller coasters in operation.

I rather like SFMM to be honest, and I don't feel at all a shamed in that assertion. It can be a frustrating Park though, due to a lack of consistency and care for some of the smaller details I've been trained to notice. Those are things I just can't defend, nor will I try.

But bottom line, I still enjoy the park in spite of everything. I can't wait to see what they do with Colossus. It's one project I hope they get right!

^Because it's irrelevant. It's a given the material and labor costs of operating 19 coasters will be more than the other parks...but that doesn't excuse anything.

^Because it's irrelevant. It's a given the material and labor costs of operating 19 coasters will be more than the other parks...but that doesn't excuse anything.

Which in turn means less funds available for quality control... Not sure how that is "irrelevant" to my original point.

But bottom line, I still enjoy the park in spite of everything. I can't wait to see what they do with Colossus. It's one project I hope they get right!

Exactly! There was a nice wave of positivity regarding the park in the anticipation of Iron Colossus and people still find a way to bring in negativity and harp on the park's shortcommings.

^^It's irrelevant because it doesn't excuse anything. Especially given the fact they struggle to maintain their 19 coasters, so there isn't even enough budget to keep those running at maximum capacity.

Hey I need some help figuring out if I should by a flash pass for June 22nd which is a Sunday. I have only been once so will i need a flash pass. Thanks

I would say yes. And I would recommend the gold flash pass

Hey I need some help figuring out if I should by a flash pass for June 22nd which is a Sunday. I have only been once so will i need a flash pass. Thanks

I would say yes. And I would recommend the gold flash pass

I always say wait until you get to the park and you can see the crowds to decide whether you need one, but if you do get one definitely get the gold. The platinum is a waste of money.

^^It's irrelevant because it doesn't excuse anything. Especially given the fact they struggle to maintain their 19 coasters, so there isn't even enough budget to keep those running at maximum capacity.

I totally agree. If you want to be the Coaster Capital of the World, you better be able to operate like one. Unfortunately that's Six Flags shortcoming. IMHO they would probably be doing better if they had dropped the coaster capital gimmick and worked with what they have and work on infrastructure and guest experience.

I pretty much lost hope with SFMM a while ago. I'll leave my high expectations and guest experience to Knott's and Disneyland, and I'll turn to SFMM when I want a new thrill coaster.

Nathan "forget about a good guest experience; that was lost long ago, and who cares, we're getting an RMC!" Lamoreaux

Which brings it back to my original point, people having unrealistic expectations for SFMM. It's impossible for SFMM to operate like a Cedar Fair, Busch, Disney, Universal company given the circumstances they're under (too many coasters, high state/city tax, bringing in < 3 million guests annually, yada yada). Whether or not the circumstances they're under are self-inflicted or not is moot for the point I'm making. Never was I looking for an "excuse" for the park, I don't own any stake in Six Flags inc

I think people have unrealiatic standards for MM. People don't take into account how high MM's taxes probably are being located in LA county, the costly overhead of operating and maintaining 19 roller coasters, not pulling in the same guest numbers as the other big so cal parks, the cost of insuring rides over 150 feet in earthquake land, being part of a parent company with conservative ways after exiting a bankruptcy etc;

No, people get that totally. Here's the deal:

-No one forced Six Flags Magic Mountain to buy 19 roller coasters.

-No one forced Six Flags Magic Mountain to keep every single roller coaster it has purchased in the last several years.

-No one forced Six Flags, post-bankruptcy and now profitability, to keep reducing costs in its parks to increase immediate revenue for investors.

I'm not expecting them to fix everything that has gone badly in the course of a couple months. I can't. But I'm not going to excuse them for doing a crappy job because doing a crappy job is easier/more convenient/better pleases people and computer algorithms monitoring stocks for investment purposes. I'm a guy who pays money to go to a theme park and I would prefer it not look run down. Luckily, I have other options.

I think people have unrealiatic standards for MM. People don't take into account how high MM's taxes probably are being located in LA county, the costly overhead of operating and maintaining 19 roller coasters, not pulling in the same guest numbers as the other big so cal parks, the cost of insuring rides over 150 feet in earthquake land, being part of a parent company with conservative ways after exiting a bankruptcy etc;

No, people get that totally. Here's the deal:

Apparently not, people are regurgitating the same rhetoric over and over. The park is dirty, there's no theming, the employees don't give a f***, the food sucks, Scream is sitting atop a parking lot, there are no flat rides, yada yada. No doubt everyone is entitled to their opinion, but why complain when you knew what you got yourself into the minute you exited the 5 freeway?

Anyhoo, I digress LOL

but why complain when you knew what you got yourself into the minute you exited the 5 freeway?

Because it doesn't have to be that way. If you want to be an apologist for the place, that's fine. I have no emotional need to do that myself. But don't act surprised that lots of people in this hobby don't share your view.

On a completely different note, i went to SFMM 3 weeks ago and saw white wood laying around colossus, scream, and behind Apocalypse.

It was that day i though for sure that Iron Colossus would happen.

Anyone know if thats for Colossus or something else???

^I'm not too familiar with the Flash Pass system at Six Flags parks. It seems more complicated than Cedar Fair's FastLane, so I never really took the time to understand it. Could someone explain to me why a Gold is better than a Platinum?

The good flash pass removes 50% of the estimated wait time for the line. Where the regular pass doesn't remove any. Don't forget to queue up your next ride right after you scan in for your current ride. The platinum removes 90 percent. But too pricey in my opinion....

On a completely different note, i went to SFMM 3 weeks ago and saw white wood laying around colossus, scream, and behind Apocalypse.

It was that day i though for sure that Iron Colossus would happen.

Anyone know if thats for Colossus or something else???

I'm curious about this as well, does anyone have info?

The platinum removes 90 percent. But too pricey in my opinion....

Plus the consecutive rides, or doesn't SFMM do that?

They do that, just not in the front or back rows. We got it when we went to Magic Mountain last year and had a blast.

The platinum removes 90 percent. But too pricey in my opinion....

Plus the consecutive rides, or doesn't SFMM do that?

I've gotten platinum FP's at parks a few times, but I just can't bring myself to to use the ride-twice feature. I can't help but feeling like a tool anytime I do.