TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Does adding all these coasters really make SFMM any more popular with tourists or locals? Tourists go to California for Disney, Universal, and, somtimes, Knott's. Locals would know by now how run down the park is and stay away. So will the attendance increase AT ALL if they add a #20?

If it's another kiddy coaster, I doubt attendance figures would budge. Knotts, Disney and Universal are far more appealing family parks. MM has never been a threat in that department.

YOLOCoaster got me back.

Yeah, I get that, but there should be more to the attractiveness of a park than just a new ride that can be seen & done rather quickly.

I think SFMM has trained its guests to not care about anything besides coasters more than anything. Eventually people learn they need to go elsewhere for something that isn't a giant roller coaster. Adding a new coaster does nothing to bring those people back.

I can only speak for my generation, but I don't think anyone in their target demographic misses the fact that all they're getting is coasters and if they want something else besides coasters, they need to go somewhere else. Since the park's been this way for a long time, I don't think there's a real learning curve to this, especially with people like me who have experienced the park the way it is the whole time they've been going. I don't know one person besides anyone on here that goes to Magic Mountain and talks about family rides or any other additions besides coasters.

Again, only speaking to the people of my generation, but everyone I know when talking about going to the park talks about riding the newest coaster. It is the sole reason they go back IMO. I would say it's a waste of money, and the park knows it is, to focus on anything else.

YOLOCoaster got me back.

Yeah, I get that, but there should be more to the attractiveness of a park than just a new ride that can be seen & done rather quickly.

I think SFMM has trained its guests to not care about anything besides coasters more than anything. Eventually people learn they need to go elsewhere for something that isn't a giant roller coaster. Adding a new coaster does nothing to bring those people back.

Those people are just replaced with the next generation of "thrill seekers." There's a never ending supply of teenagers whose parents will gladly pay $80 (or whatever the price of a pass is) to use SFMM as a babysitter. Add in the 20-30 year olds who live in the L.A. area and can't get thrills elsewhere close by…and you have a business model that works. For now at least.

Yeah, I go to SFMM to ride the newest rides... The End. The park has been mediocre for so long that I have no illusions of anything else. Why should I waste my breath bitching about what's not going to change in my lifetime? And saying I'm never going back isn't hurting them either. They'll simply replace me with another thrill seeker. So I go once a year, get my great Park fix somewhere else, and get on with it.

Yeah, I go to SFMM to ride the newest rides... The End. The park has been mediocre for so long that I have no illusions of anything else. Why should I waste my breath bitching about what's not going to change in my lifetime? And saying I'm never going back isn't hurting them either. They'll simply replace me with another thrill seeker. So I go once a year, get my great Park fix somewhere else, and get on with it.

I have to agree with you on that. I only make trips when I hear of a new ride coming in, (this kiddie coaster doesn't count, or does it )

I was there for when Superman first went backwards, when X2 was X, LL: DOD, Tatsu, and most recently Full Throttle.

Other than, that, I don't really care for SFMM. I'd much rather spend my money at KBF for a more well rounded and better run park.

I can only speak for my generation, but I don't think anyone in their target demographic misses the fact that all they're getting is coasters and if they want something else besides coasters, they need to go somewhere else. Since the park's been this way for a long time, I don't think there's a real learning curve to this, especially with people like me who have experienced the park the way it is the whole time they've been going. I don't know one person besides anyone on here that goes to Magic Mountain and talks about family rides or any other additions besides coasters.

Again, only speaking to the people of my generation, but everyone I know when talking about going to the park talks about riding the newest coaster. It is the sole reason they go back IMO. I would say it's a waste of money, and the park knows it is, to focus on anything else.

Oh sure, this is absolutely the case, but only because the park has mainly focused on nothing but coasters for just about your entire lifetime. Back before the huge coaster boom, the park did care about the other kinds of rides and aesthetics that made for a much more pleasant experience in between riding the big rides. The park is so impossibly behind in its infrastructure now that any effort going towards restoring those qualities seems like a laughably wasted effort, but that doesn't stop me from at least wishing that minor improvements would be made in that regard. They are going to have to do that eventually. Those old & decrepit buildings both on and off stage are not going to last forever. The business model is set up for short term water treading, and long term failure.

Just to tie it back to my earlier question regarding the merits of building coasters for the sake of building coasters just to get to 20 and/or be "the roller coaster capital of the world"... I don't really think it's worth to do that if it makes the complete neglection of everything else to the point where the park completely reverts back to its condition where Robb told park brass flat out that it just wasn't fun anymore to visit SFMM. It's not there right now, but it seems to be headed back in that direction.

I was a the park yesterday and here are some updates:

Parking got to twenty dollars. Twenty dollars. That is criminal.

There was one train/lane operation on Tatsu, Superman, and Ninja. Around 12:30, the crowds picked up.

Seatbelts on YOLO weren't so bad. I don't feel like it slowed the wait times to much and it didn't ruin the ride for me. So that's good.

Lex Luthor was closed for most of the day but reopened around four.

I wish I could've gotten more in, but I guess that's going to be my last visit before letting my pass expire. That park has spiraled down to the point where I just don't want to go back.

Im going to Magic Mountain on January 19 and we are getting gold Flash Passes. I was just wondering if any of yall had tips to maneuver around the park. And I heard from Screamscape (yes I know Screamscape) that X2 was not going to be open when Im there. But just to make sure, Does anyone know what's going on and if it will be open on the 19? Thanks!

Im going to Magic Mountain on January 19 and we are getting gold Flash Passes. I was just wondering if any of yall had tips to maneuver around the park. And I heard from Screamscape (yes I know Screamscape) that X2 was not going to be open when Im there. But just to make sure, Does anyone know what's going on and if it will be open on the 19? Thanks!

Don't count on X2 being open. As mentioned earlier in the thread, it was supposed to be open again in October as they were replacing the lift hill system. Now it's taking longer than expected and it is now rescheduled for March.

I don't really think parking prices are a huge deal...I mean, have you not ever been to a sporting event? I saw a private lot across the street from the Coliseum charging $80 for the USC/UCLA game. That same lot also charged $100 for Ohio State vs. USC a few years back. It's going to be $75 to park at the Super Bowl in NYC, and people will not even be allowed to walk or just drop off (only options are pay parking, take train, or pay $50 for the official shuttle).

Twenty dollars + admission for only 16 rides?

...and yet Colossus and Superman are running one train, Ninja and Tatsu are running one train, Lex Luthor didn't open until much later, and Sky Tower and Jet Stream are closed to cut costs. Oh, and X2 is still down for who-know-how-long. I think the price increase in parking is totally justifiable.

I don't really think parking prices are a huge deal...I mean, have you not ever been to a sporting event? I saw a private lot across the street from the Coliseum charging $80 for the USC/UCLA game. That same lot also charged $100 for Ohio State vs. USC a few years back. It's going to be $75 to park at the Super Bowl in NYC, and people will not even be allowed to walk or just drop off (only options are pay parking, take train, or pay $50 for the official shuttle).

...and that's why I'm not into sports.

I'll be there on the 19th as well

That's pretty much the way I've always viewed SFMM throughout the years, although I wouldn't limit it to just coasters but thrill rides in general.

Those are one time, sometimes once in a lifetime events with massive crowds. That's a far cry from a day trip, much less an afternoon at a park known to be nothing except coasters.

Dodger Stadium parking is $10, and there's free parking on Stadium Way if you don't mind a small hike. Angel Stadium parking is $10. Disneyland parking is $17 IIRC. Knott's charges $20 for Haunt but less for the rest of the year. Universal's non-preferred non-valet is less than $20. Now SFMM is $20. Seems shocking, but SFMM was the first to start charging $15 for parking while all those others were $10 or less back in the day. Good to know nothing's changed over the years.

Today the 29th is the final day to get the Gold Pass Upgrade at no charge. Includes Season pass parking on all passes and admission into Hurricane Harbor for 2014, and no blackout dates for Freight Fest (yes there are some for 2014). Must buy min of 4 passes and must be activated by today the 29th. Slight breeze in Santa Clartia right now (7:42am) and turning into wind by about noon so plan accordingly. Don't forget the Gold Pass parking pass is also valid at any Six Flags parks around the country unlike the normal $65 season pass parking only good at issued park.

Those are one time, sometimes once in a lifetime events with massive crowds. That's a far cry from a day trip, much less an afternoon at a park known to be nothing except coasters.

That's technically true, but the point is they are both entertainment venues competing for the same disposable income. To someone, a trip to SFMM could also qualify as a "one time/rare" event. But if you would like another comparison, how about hotels around Disney, in the Gaslamp District of San Diego, or Downtown L.A? Those are just three examples I can think of where I have stayed at hotels and they have charged $15+ for parking in addition to the room rate.

Besides, with all the discounts SFMM offers (I can get tickets from my employer for $35, the countless coke can discounts, the cheap price of a pass, etc, etc)…you're still getting a great value (so long as all you want is coasters) even after being "gouged" for parking.

Edited by Jew

^ Wrong. You must PURCHASE the passes either online or at the park by today the 29th.

But you actually have until January 5th to PROCESS the passes at the park, as indicated ion the receipts for the passes.

...... Glad we both agree that the 29th was a key date. I've never seen the 5th mentioned but will go with it. It was crowded crowded today with cars even parked way out in the dirt. Not sure if it was free friend day. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388376854.650869.jpg.1f0c0088017a482436199bd6de13c3f1.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1388376866.901896.jpg.a88219326917858c512d72e169611b0b.jpg