TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Actually, the stop does not help capacity as much as it would seem. This is due to the fact that the trains go backwards along the same track, plus rollbacks need to be accounted for. The end result is the fact that the only block that matters is the one at the end of the ride. The soonest a train after the first one sent out could dispatch is when the previous train is going down the last drop. So, tree train ops would save only about 10 seconds per train. The improvement is only by about a hundred people per hour. SFMM, on some rides, could be increasing the capacity by several hundred people an hour by adding extra trains, but, since they do not do this, I am pretty sure I can give up hope of this thing ever running three trains.

Actually, the stop does not help capacity as much as it would seem. This is due to the fact that the trains go backwards along the same track, plus rollbacks need to be accounted for. The end result is the fact that the only block that matters is the one at the end of the ride. The soonest a train after the first one sent out could dispatch is when the previous train is going down the last drop. So, tree train ops would save only about 10 seconds per train. The improvement is only by about a hundred people per hour. SFMM, on some rides, could be increasing the capacity by several hundred people an hour by adding extra trains, but, since they do not do this, I am pretty sure I can give up hope of this thing ever running three trains.

That is exactly what I explained.

The great thing about the second launch is that trains come to a complete stop in the tunnel. It's a block, so you could theoretically hold a train there until another train is on the first launch section ready to go.

Possible? Technically. Efficient? No way. Since you couldn't safely launch the next train until the tunnel is completely clear, it would be pointless to have a 3rd train.

Aha, good point. The ride really is that short, isn't it? Must not have realized that.

Imagine this.

Actually you cannot launch a train from the station until the train on the course launches out the tunnel and makes it over the loop, which is the end of the ride, then the train in the station can launch. If the train in the tunnel launches and rolls back from the loop as the train from the station launches, since there is no additional block between that, they will collide. This has been discussed before and this is the reason it would not make sense to run three trains as two would always be at the station. Having three trains is different, run two and rehab one, that makes sense.

For the flagship park of a major chain MM really does not get the resources it should in terms of running it's attractions. Tatsu should always be running both sides, but hardly ever does. A few of the park's other coasters often go down to one train operation due to a lack of a third train to swap in. It really is just sad. It would be a dream come true if instead of adding a new attraction the park spent it's years attraction budget on a third train for it's major rides and then repainted the ones that are starting to look bad (Scream, Tatsu, ect...). Sadly, we all know that that would never, ever happen.

For the flagship park of a major chain

Great America, Over Texas, Over Georgia. Those would be the closest things to "flagship" parks, MM doesn't even compare.

MM is a "coaster park", and not much else.

Three train operation could work on the Full Throttle though. One Train on course, Two Trains simultaneously loading/unloading (Maverick).

^SFMM is a flagship park, along with Great Adventure and Great America.

Being primarily a coaster park has nothing to do with it

I agree with Manic Monte, I feel these three parks are the flagship parks in the SF chain. These three parks constantly get the large attractions and all three have a big coaster collection which is crucial in Six Flags' perspective.

Now, to get on topic, has anybody seen Full Throttle's construction site recently? Has anything changed within the last few weeks?

^SFMM is a flagship park, along with Great Adventure and Great America.

Being primarily a coaster park has nothing to do with it

I agree with Manic Monte, I feel these three parks are the flagship parks in the SF chain. These three parks constantly get the large attractions and all three have a big coaster collection which is crucial in Six Flags' perspective.

Now, to get on topic, has anybody seen YOLOcoaster's construction site recently? Has anything changed within the last few weeks?

Actually SFOT is the flagship park as said by Six Flags inc. In an interview with the Dallas Morning News, Six Flags Corporate stated their reason for moving to Grand Prairie was because they wanted to operate by there Flagship park.

I simply quoting what the president and interim CEO, spokeswoman Sandra Daniels said. That they will maintain a office in New York, but the company's headquarters is in North Texas the region of the Six Flags Flagship park.

Anyways I do think that 3 train operation will not work for this ride as to its shorts. Since the backward launch is going to add all of 4 or 5 seconds on the ride.

Edited by Sammy*

I went to SFMM on Veterans Day, 2010 and it was very busy.

The least crowded I've seen it was a December day, mid week, gentle drizzle on and off. Walk ons for almost everything, even Tatsu. The employee parking lot had about as many cars as the main parking lot (as seen from the tower).

The weather forecast for this Monday looks perfect.