TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

If both sides are running, though, they are pulled up at the same time. Just like any other Intamin tower out there.

Seems like that would be a way to unnecessarily decrease capacity, though.

Not really. Each side holds what, eight people? So you're essentially running a 16-person drop tower, it just so happens that those people are separated on opposite sides. It's no different from any other Intamin drop tower in the entire world. The only thing that decreases capacity is that this thing isn't a gyro drop that holds 56 people at a time.

Yes, really. Because if a guest is being slow to load/doesn't fit the noodles/etc, it will hold up the dispatch time of the other side. If they were to both load and dispatch independently, they could have a higher operational capacity because each side could dispatch immediately when it was ready.

It can't lower a capacity that didn't even exist. It was given a capacity estimate based on this setup - again, the same setup found around the world on countless drop towers. There was no capacity to be lowered because this is the capacity, plain and simple.

And there is likely no way for the ride to have been set up to run independently - there isn't room for two sets of pulleys and winches and everything necessary to run the ride.

It can't lower a capacity that didn't even exist.

Oh come on now, Tyler. All of us here can use logic to reason that the potential capacity would be higher if the cars operated independently. Now you're just getting picky.

This is not the first Intamin drop tower to do this, in fact don't they all?

Don't think it's going to REALLY make that much of a difference. By the time the ride drops and the catch car comes down 400 feet you should be pretty close to being able to dispatch the next group.

Plus we all know they will likely only be running 1 side most of the year anyway.

If both sides are running, though, they are pulled up at the same time. Just like any other Intamin tower out there.

Not really. Each side holds what, eight people? So you're essentially running a 16-person drop tower, it just so happens that those people are separated on opposite sides. It's no different from any other Intamin drop tower in the entire world. The only thing that decreases capacity is that this thing isn't a gyro drop that holds 56 people at a time.

Yes, really. Because if a guest is being slow to load/doesn't fit the noodles/etc, it will hold up the dispatch time of the other side. If they were to both load and dispatch independently, they could have a higher operational capacity because each side could dispatch immediately when it was ready.

It can't lower a capacity that didn't even exist. It was given a capacity estimate based on this setup - again, the same setup found around the world on countless drop towers. There was no capacity to be lowered because this is the capacity, plain and simple.

And there is likely no way for the ride to have been set up to run independently - there isn't room for two sets of pulleys and winches and everything necessary to run the ride.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue here.

Look, here it is, plain and simple: would the ride have a higher capacity if both sides were able to function independently? Yes. Done. Thank you.

I never said that Intamin or Magic Mountain didn't have a reason to set up the ride the way the did. I never said that other drop towers aren't set up the same way. I was simply responding to your incorrect post that implied that capacity wouldn't be decreased by this.

And this is why capacity won't be decreased by any great amount, unless there are very particular circumstances (as in like, fourteen of the riders don't fit all at the same time).

Don't think it's going to REALLY make that much of a difference. By the time the ride drops and the catch car comes down 400 feet you should be pretty close to being able to dispatch the next group.

Plus we all know they will likely only be running 1 side most of the year anyway.

I talked to the director and he said a few things that may, or may not be new.

- The cars have been dropping around 80mph in the testing phase rather than the 85mph that is being advertised.

- He also reaffirmed that the actual drop is 400ft.

Here is some footage I got:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20qWP8khF8A

2 things:

1. There is no way the drop is actually 400 feet unless the tower really isn't 415 feet tall. To say that the cars are dropping slower than they initially planned supports that. I personally don't care, but its kinda dishonest for them to continue the repeating false statistics.

2. If that video is an indication of a typical operational cycle, it looks like there's going to be a Maximum Capacity of 16 guests every 2 minutes. At 60 min, that leaves us with 480 guests per hour. Ouch.

Glad they're providing a single rider line, that's where I'll be waiting!

Just curious... how do you know this for certain, do you work for Intamin or design any of their rides? As it has been shown many times over with various rides around the world there is ALWAYS a way to do something so to just say it is not possible is pretty much not correct. I just want to know since you seem so passionate about this point and another thing about Intamin drop towers in general, since you seem to know, if 6 cabins are lifted by the SAME SINGLE lift mechanism they why don't they all travel up at exactly the same time? A lot of times they each reach the top at different times/speeds and if one lift is doing this, how is it possible? Because of this fact it appears that EACH CABIN has its own lift and if that's true then it can also be true on this ride. If the standard drop towers can have multiple lifts inside the tiny tower then surely this ride can have two separate lifts as there is plenty of room.

This post ends the capacity debate...

Why does capacity even matter? We have a SR line to enjoy!!!

I talked to the director and he said a few things that may, or may not be new.

- The cars have been dropping around 80mph in the testing phase rather than the 85mph that is being advertised.

- He also reaffirmed that the actual drop is 400ft.

Here is some footage I got:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20qWP8khF8A

2 things:

1. There is no way the drop is actually 400 feet unless the tower really isn't 415 feet tall. To say that the cars are dropping slower than they initially planned supports that. I personally don't care, but its kinda dishonest for them to continue the repeating false statistics.

2. If that video is an indication of a typical operational cycle, it looks like there's going to be a Maximum Capacity of 16 guests every 2 minutes. At 60 min, that leaves us with 480 guests per hour. Ouch.

Glad they're providing a single rider line, that's where I'll be waiting!

Technically, the ride does drop 400ft. How much it actually "freefalls", none of us can say for sure.

Update from yesterday!

Lex Luthor testing continues! Wow that thing drops fast! Superman went up twice in the afternoon. Went all the way to the breaks. X2 music was on, and everything but Goliath was running 2 trains. Goliath was running THREE TRAINS and wow did that line move fast!! It was a great day and I even saw people cleaning up the landscaping!

Sounds like they want the park to look its best for media day.

^It is running two trains right now.

Heading down to the park again tomorrow for another Lex update.

My b. Someone definitely told me that the park sent a train to Green Lantern, and now only had one train. Last few times I went, the ride was only running one train as well. My poor mistake-_____-

Do you know why the park runs one train more frequently? I went on days when Riddlers would have one train going and quite a wait, while Scream was walk on with two trains.

It had 3 trains. One was sent away. They ran one train while they rehabbed the other for what seemed like forever, etc.

Awesome, thanks for the update!