TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

Seriously give the park time to work out what they want to do. Once again their going to cater the the GP first not the enthusiast community, even though they kinda did by installing a zac-spin in in the first place. I'm sure in due time they will loosen it up to give it more of a spin. Also my first ride was OK but on my second ride we spent a majority of it upside down. GL is an EXCELLENT ride. Just have faith in the park and give it some time to run and make adjustments as need be.

This complaining about GL not spinning enough eventhough it just opened, makes want to take it away and say "there, now you don't get any" like how you would discipline a bratty kid.

I'm just happy there is actually one in this country now that I would be able to get to as travelling to Europe pretty much for me is impossible.

Its a new and different ride experience I can't wait to try, 1 flip or 4 doesn't matter, I still think it will be a lot of fun. And if I only get 1 flip no big deal, I will just have to keep riding it until I get more. More rides, more fun, that's a win-win to me.

I haven't tried Green Lantern yet, but whether it flips a lot or a little, I am still looking forward to riding it when I go later in the month. Rides are made for the largest market they serve, and in the United States that is the American public. Enthusiasts make up an infinitesimally small percentage of a park's attendance, and rides just can't be built to cater to them. The goal is for a park to build the best ride they can for the largest percentage of the target audience possible, and therefore some rides must be toned down. The last thing a park needs is bad publicity, and I'm guessing SFMM would get plenty of that if Green Lantern spun like crazy and caused fainting, nosebleeds, or vomiting like Insane reportedly did during an ERT session. Some GP would think it was the most daring thing ever, but many would be afraid to ride it or would sue because it "injured" them.

If this is how Green Lantern is going to stay, so be it. I'm sure it will be a winner with the GP anyway. However, I also don't think a ride should be judged on TWO DAYS of operation. Some rides need adjustment for some time after they open (for recent evidence, see I305, which took around a year to get to its final form), and I wouldn't be surprised if this is just one of those.

I'm just really happy to see such a positive response to this ride. I was really nervous that people would be disappointed after hearing all the great things about Insane and Inferno.

If the park decides to run this more conservatively for the GP, and let's it rip for ERT, I think that will be the best of both worlds, at least from the park's perspective. How many of us are going to wait 2+ hours for GL during it's opening summer anyway? But based on what I heard at media day, at least the "plan" is that GL will loosen up and spin more in the coming weeks. Time will tell.

^^I still maintain that the changes made to 305 were almost completely because of maintenance costs, and not because of "rider comfort." Obviously, the park would never come out and say that, but I guarantee you they were much more concerned with their bottom line than rider comfort.

I'd wager that's the case a majority of the time when American parks decide to, as some have been putting it, "pussify" their rides.

But no way, not even a possibility, obviously it's because Europeons are tough and Americans are pussies.

^^I still maintain that the changes made to 305 were almost completely because of maintenance costs, and not because of "rider comfort." Obviously, the park would never come out and say that, but I guarantee you they were much more concerned with their bottom line than rider comfort.

Bingo. When you're chewing up wheels faster than sticks of bubblegum that's cause for concern. Never mind people greying or blacking out. Seriously. Sure the park doesn't want anyone hurt but considering the maintenance was going to get out of hand it was smart to nip it right away and find a sensible cure while still maintaining the rides intensity which they look to have done.

^ So if thats the case can you please explain the 300 pages of idiotic complaining about i305.

Yeah I know....I don't get it. From the video of your initial ride it looked very intense and "crapped all over Millenium Force" but even the additional work done after that, from my pov, didn't really take away anything from having a great ride experience and continuing to crap all over MF! If these tweaks were necessary in order to keep maintanance in check which would keep it operating for a longer period of time, its such a huge ride that I don't think it really made any difference in the ride quality, unless someone is going to be ultra super picky about it. Its better to have an awesome ride in this manner than not have it at all, so the complaining does not make sense to me. Like with GL, if this is how the park is going to run it or it needs to be run, then so be it, at least its actually here and is still something really fun to try. If they can run it with more spinning and just choose not to then shame on them, but no matter, I will still ride it and enjoy myself ( a lot) cuz that's all that really matters to me.

The last 20 pgs of this thread have been more entertaining than the recent seasons of Glee!, True Blood, 2 and A Half Men and The Office combined! And I have to say, I didnt think you could get more people complaining about stupid shit than they do on that whiny Brothers and Sisters. Seriously, been sick this past few days, tried to catch up on these shows, but the drama here is much more entertaining!

Just saw the Green Lantern commercial on T.V. and if you thought that it was funny that they had B&M track on the sign, they also have a B&M floorless in the commercial!

If you're talking about this commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79k7X_N1Ffo

It was made before the commercial shoot, thus explaining the need to use a different coaster for "on ride shots."

The last 20 pgs of this thread have been more entertaining than the recent seasons of Glee!, True Blood, 2 and A Half Men and The Office combined! And I have to say, I didnt think you could get more people complaining about stupid poo-poo than they do on that whiny Brothers and Sisters. Seriously, been sick this past few days, tried to catch up on these shows, but the drama here is much more entertaining!

QFT

AND...

I really wish this forum brought back the "Like" button.

I'd wager that's the case a majority of the time when American parks decide to, as some have been putting it, "pussify" their rides.

But no way, not even a possibility, obviously it's because Europeons are tough and Americans are pussies.

Ummm... Let's go over this again, since one of these two makes sense...

I-305 vs. Revolution: One's a 305ft tall 94 MPH 4.5 plus G coaster with intense airtime and high-speed turns. One's a 110 foot tall, 44.5 MPH single-inversion SpeedRacer (Technically, to be correct, it's a LoopingRacer). One pulls multiple sections of intense negative Gs. The other does a smooth, curvy course at speeds under 40 MPH as a general rule. NOW:

I305 has a justification for being modified. How do you explain Revolution?

I305: I can understand the trimming, and modifications- as that is logical: it's a very intense ride, where parts are put under high speeds and Gs every single trip. But Revolution, like her siblings, cousins and related from Anton Schwarzkopf's stable, is designed to run with the same trains as it came with. Explain then why they put Over The Shoulder restrants on Revolution, when her siblings ShockWave at SFOT and Mindbender at SFOG and sooperdooperLooper (Her fraternal twin sister) still are operating with their original, lap-bar only trains.Or why SFMM put on after-market braking systems to trim the speed.

Oh wait: That's right. The insurance companies that underwrite SFMM said they needed to: Because of the threat of lawsuits from patrons. Why did they do that: BECAUSE WE'RE A LAWSUIT HAPPY COUNTRY, and the smallest 'bump' on a ride becomes a 25,000,000 USD lawsuit. As in: "Oh, that ride caused me to sweat a bit. It's too intense. I'll sue the park for a lot of money." Or "I hit my head against the back of the headrest (Which TOO was an aftermarket on Revolution) it must mean the ride is unsave, I'll sue for the park for a lot of money.

If Americans (And yes, I'm from the great state of New York here) would simply own up to the fact these rides are GOING to be rough, they are GOING to be intense, etc. and not threaten the appropriate "It's too rough/It's too intense" lawsuits, we'd have rides that operated like they do in Europe. In ways the designer's have intended, in the full-on modes the builders created.

^I'd imagine something to do with the bearings of the ride vehicle, or how tight the seats are screwed on. I know that you can make a skateboard wheel go faster if you buy better bearings, so that's one theory. Also, if you screw a wheel like a skateboard wheel on too tightly, it will spin less, so assuming doing something similar to that is possible for Green Lantern, that's another thing that they could do. Once again, those are both hypotheses, especially the bearing one, which is highly unlikely, so don't take my word for it.

Please, I beg of you guys, can we move on from the "Americans can't take intense coasters" debate? It's boring and ultimately pointless. I can think of examples where coasters have been badly modified to be less intense, and cases where coasters are intense and run the way they're suppose to, right here in good ole US of A (including Mindbender). So making an across the board generalization doesn't quite cut it with me. Can we move on please?

Back to SFMM and Green Lantern if you will.

^It had to do with the new cars being wider and tunnel clearance, and since we Americans are all pussies we needed them. (sarcasm)

EDIT- Oh I see you mean on GL, I have no idea, but once your riding you don't even notice them, your too busy hanging on for dear life.

EDIT 2- Oh wait, I have confirmation, it's cause all americans are pussies and tough europeans were worried about us.

Edited by fatdaddy

^^If you look back some pages, you'll see the tight clearances inside and around the station, and that's why they're there.

Now, my question is why wouldn't they have made a wider station? Do the other Zac-Spins have such tight spaces to move through, or is it just something that SFMM had to do for space reasons?

EDIT 2- Oh wait, I have confirmation, it's cause all americans are pussies and tough europeans were worried about us.

Or maybe it's because Europeans would be smart enough not to stick their arms off to the side and then sue the park when they get a bruise.