TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I've probably said it before, as this debate seems to come up a lot on here, but here's my take.

Why does everyone hate SFMM? They are one of the best parks out there. They don't have many family rides because Knott's and Disneyland are nearby. And their themeing is decent. Yeah, SFMM is not the best (Cedar Point is!), but SFMM is still a really good park. Since 2011 the park has changed and it's much cleaner than it was.

In my opinion, this is conditionally true. If you are looking for a park to ride roller coasters...and only roller coasters, you can't get much better than SFMM. Sure, their coasters are not top 10 on their own, but together the park has a half-dozen top tier rides and several more that most parks would like in their line up. In addition, there are very few clones (Batman being the only notable one), and there is arguably not a bad coaster at the park. If you are going to the park for anything other than coasters, however, you will find the place disappointing. With the exception of Lex Luthor, their non-coaster rides are average at best, the theming throughout the park is hit or miss (not the worst out there, but pales in comparison to the park's direct competition), the park isn't clean and parts of it look completely decrepit, food is below McDonald's quality at 2-3 times the price, employees tend to do the minimum they need to in order to keep their job, operations are poor more often than not, and everything is overly expensive to compensate for the low admission price. Now, many of these problems exist at other Six Flags parks and some aren't restricted to just the chain, but I can only think of a couple other parks I've visited with this many major issues.

Now, I do not hate Six Flags Magic Mountain, and I typically have a good time when I visit, but it has certainly changed over time. It is sad that only a few years ago the park was actually doing pretty well and over the past 2-3 years (basically since Jay Thomas left), it has sunk to around where it was in the mid-2000s. I still visit the park to ride coasters, but unlike Disneyland or even Knott's Berry Farm I never really crave a visit. For example, I am visiting in a couple days (Thursday to be specific) to finally process the pass I got for my birthday in January and ride the backwards rides. Yes, I've certainly had opportunities to go before now, but not the desire, and the main reason I'm going now is convenience and to beat the summer crowds that will begin showing up in a few weeks. I can also say that were I to move outside of California I highly doubt I'd miss the park, especially if I lived within 3-4 hours of a major Six Flags or Cedar Fair park.

So no, SFMM is not a downright terrible, bottom 10 park in the US, but among the major parks it doesn't compare well. They have just chosen to build a park aimed at a very specific group (thrillseekers), while half-heartedly trying to attract other demographics (families). If it works for them, great, but it will not lead to SFMM being anything special from the perspective of a well-traveled enthusiast.

Edited by rcdude

I do agree SFMM isn't perfect. For instance their main gate is crappy and worn down. But the one thing I really hate is the painted walkways at SFMM! Other than that I think the park is perfect in it's own way. Don't get me wrong, the employees are kind of...well not the best, but that isn't the parks fault. Because I go to the park almost daily I've found a hidden beauty within the park that you guys can't understand completely. To me there is no need for the park to add it's own scenery, because I appreciate the park for what it is; the mountain views of my hometown, the trees and plants, and etc. One thing that I love about SFMM is that they found the Coaster name of all time, none can be better and most people over look it. That is Full Throttle. The reason is that Full Throttle isn't just a theme, it is an opinion of life. Other rides around the world have name like El Toro, Top Thrill Dragster, and The Smiler. But what do those name really mean? The Bull, Dragster, and I really don't know what the Smiler means at all. Those are just random themes, Full Throttle is unexplainable as a fact.( Well to me no coaster name can top. Don't want to start a debate).

I do agree SFMM isn't perfect. For instance their main gate is crappy and worn down. But the one thing I really hate is the painted walkways at SFMM! Other than that I think the park is perfect in it's own way. Don't get me wrong, the employees are kind of...well not the best, but that isn't the parks fault. Because I go to the park almost daily I've found a hidden beauty within the park that you guys can't understand completely. To me there is no need for the park to add it's own scenery, because I appreciate the park for what it is; the mountain views of my hometown, the trees and plants, and etc. One thing that I love about SFMM is that they found the Coaster name of all time, none can be better and most people over look it. That is Full Throttle. The reason is that Full Throttle isn't just a theme, it is an opinion of life. Other rides around the world have name like El Toro, Top Thrill Dragster, and The Smiler. But what do those name really mean? The Bull, Dragster, and I really don't know what the Smiler means at all. Those are just random themes, Full Throttle is unexplainable as a fact.( Well to me no coaster name can top. Don't want to start a debate).

That's your opinion and I'm completely fine with that, but I believe the names you mentioned are more fitting than Full Throttle. El Toro is known for some of the most extreme OMFG ejector airtime in the world, like being thrown from a bull. It is themed with Spanish influences, and is tied together being a wooden coaster. Dragster imitates the experience of racing a dragster. Extreme acceleration and top speed, then height to use the speed, and the trains look like dragsters. Smiler, well I haven't ridden it, but it, but it's kinda strange within itself.

I don't completely understand how Full Throttle displays an opinion on life though. A launch reaching not very impressive speeds, a large loop, and another launch. It's a short ride, is this because life is short? Is that what you're saying? I just don't think the ride eminates a life opinion. Maybe it's just me. Like I said, I respect your opinion, I just don't agree.

Don't get me wrong, the employees are kind of...well not the best, but that isn't the parks fault.

Well, that kind of is the park's fault...

One thing that I love about SFMM is that they found the Coaster name of all time, none can be better and most people over look it. That is Full Throttle. The reason is that Full Throttle isn't just a theme, it is an opinion of life. Other rides around the world have name like El Toro, Top Thrill Dragster, and The Smiler. But what do those name really mean? The Bull, Dragster, and I really don't know what the Smiler means at all. Those are just random themes, Full Throttle is unexplainable as a fact.( Well to me no coaster name can top. Don't want to start a debate).

Fixed.

Edited by XYZ

When you pay minimum wage with no benefits, the talent pool is going to be severely diminished to begin with. Especially in Valenica/Santa Clarita, which has so many better entry level jobs to choose from with all the restaurants and shopping centers.

Even worse is that the best SFMM employees actually enjoy working there (mainly because of their coworkers), but have no choice but to leave because of the crappy culture and low pay.

That falls squarely on the park/company.

^ Who hired and trained them?

Training has nothing to do with it if the employee has a bad attitude.

Than that employee needs to no longer be an employee. It would be the responsibility of the company to carry out the firing and replacement of that employee. A company is ultimately responsible for its employees, good or bad.

SFMM is my home park. I'll continue to go because of the rides. But, that place is a dirty mess. I answer the questionnaire sent to me after a visit pretty much the same way. The place is extremely unkept and the employees, not all, but generally aren't attentive and don't seem to want to be there.

I'm extremely grateful that it is open year round. So, I can look past much of what disappoints me.

Instead of trying out all these unique rides, I rather they just concentrate on proven winners. I bypass a number of coasters because they just aren't fun, or haven't been kept well.

I pray for the RMC makeover of Colossus. LOL

They are one of the best parks out there.

Still not helping your credibility.

...their themeing is decent.

Definitely not helping your credibility.

SFMM is not the best (Cedar Point is!)

Getting better, but there are better parks than Cedar Point, as well.

I do agree SFMM isn't perfect.

Finally!

Other than that I think the park is perfect in it's own way.

Wait a minute, this was literally one sentence later. Are you even sure of what you're talking about anymore?

I've found a hidden beauty within the park that you guys can't understand completely.

Oh, dear...

One thing that I love about SFMM is that they found the Coaster name of all time, none can be better and most people over look it. That is Full Throttle. The reason is that Full Throttle isn't just a theme, it is an opinion of life.

Aw, crap, he's gone full psycho.

Full Throttle is unexplainable as a fact.

Huh? I'm worried about you, man. Honestly. I think you need to get away from Six Flags for a while. Their methods seem to be working on you...

SFMM is my home park...that place is a dirty mess. The place is extremely unkept and the employees, not all, but generally aren't attentive and don't seem to want to be there.

You. I like you. We'd get along.

What makes me sad about SFMM is I remember how it was in the 1990s. It had a little bit of charm in it and the ride package was so much more well rounded. I think the best condition I've ever seen at the park during my visits was in 1998 right after they added Riddler.

True the coaster package is stronger now in comparison to how it was in the 90s, however compared to other regional parks (especially on the East Coast and in the North East) it still doesn't have much that stands out. I think Tatsu is probably the only coaster in the park that might be worthy of the term "world class."

But with more coasters in the park, the park has at the same time lost so much in terms of other kinds of rides and it really is just a coaster park now.

When you pay minimum wage with no benefits, the talent pool is going to be severely diminished to begin with. Especially in Valenica/Santa Clarita, which has so many better entry level jobs to choose from with all the restaurants and shopping centers.

Even worse is that the best SFMM employees actually enjoy working there (mainly because of their coworkers), but have no choice but to leave because of the crappy culture and low pay.

That falls squarely on the park/company.

This is the proper, common sense reaction. If you have a corporate culture where employees are disposable, you can't go acting surprised when the employees don't buy into nonsense team building exercises and corporate brainwashing. There's probably more opportunity for advancement at McDonald's than at Magic Mountain. That isn't good. But as long as the stock price rises, corporate isn't going to care.

This entire exchange is hilarious, but the word filter has failed us. Yolocoaster is a way of life and is "unexplainable as a fact"... whatever that means, Full Throttle is just the name of a gimmicky roller coaster.

This entire exchange is hilarious, but the word filter has failed us. Yolocoaster is a way of life and is "unexplainable as a fact"... whatever that means, Full Throttle is just the name of a gimmicky roller coaster.

Some of us actually like that gimmicky rollercoaster!!!!

LOL. I'm the only one that likes the video screen and music waiting for yolo. Wish more rides had that

I like the screen I just think the content is a little thin. If there were something captivating on there it would be really nice.