Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

p. 1900 - Wonder Woman Lasso of Truth Opening in 2019!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 8 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby CoasterCrazy » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:03 am

robbalvey wrote:

When I rode Scream last year, I could almost touch the ground in that part of the ride.

2 + 2 = donkey!

Postby GAcoaster » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:42 am

coasterbill wrote:Thats basically a Parking lot coaster, they poured rocks on top of it, it looks horrible

I'll take red and white rocks done as flag stripes on top of the blacktop any day over just having it over parking lot lines. And in the case of SUF, they ripped out all the blacktop and planted grass. I wouldn't say it looks "horrible", especially in comparison to Scream and Medusa West.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:30 pm

GAcoaster wrote:
coasterbill wrote:Thats basically a Parking lot coaster, they poured rocks on top of it, it looks horrible

I'll take red and white rocks done as flag stripes on top of the blacktop any day over just having it over parking lot lines. And in the case of SUF, they ripped out all the blacktop and planted grass. I wouldn't say it looks "horrible", especially in comparison to Scream and Medusa West.

The rocks arent themed... sorry :lol:

Site Admin

NEWS: Great Adventure soars to new heights

Postby robbalvey » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:32 am

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/articl ... 20425/1070

JACKSON — The Six Flags Great Adventure theme park and the accompanying Wild Safari are to open for the season Friday, but this year's new attraction — possibly the biggest in the park's 31-year history — is weeks away from coming on line.

As expected, Kingda Ka, the world's tallest (456 feet) and fastest (128 mph) roller coaster, will not be ready for riders Friday.

"I can't wait for that new roller coaster to open," said Hank Wollman, 72, of Union Beach.

Wollman rode his first coaster when he was about 5 years old at Coney Island in his native Brooklyn. The computer salesman and consultant hopes to ride Kingda Ka the first day available.

Six Flags, which operates the family amusement complex on Route 537, is "aiming for late April (or) early May" to open Kingda Ka, said spokeswoman Kristin Siebeneicher.

Coming on Friday are two new shows — Dolphin Discovery: Island Party, a tropical islands-themed dolphin show providing for interaction with guests, and the Looney Tunes-We Got the Beat children's show with cartoon characters interacting with guests.

Great Adventure will have various roaming characters, such as a pirate, an Old West woman and 1930s-era beach-goers mingling with guests, Siebeneicher said.

"All are to get guests involved in the action," Siebeneicher said.

The theme park will add two more security kiosks, bringing the number to five, to assist guests, Siebeneicher said. And Great Adventure will continue to funnel guests through metal detectors and check carry-in bags, Siebeneicher said.

Security officers will patrol inside the theme park and in its parking lot, Siebeneicher said.

To deter guests from cutting in lines, security officers will be posted at major rides, Siebeneicher said. A numbered-pass system will go into effect this year at Kingda Ka and the other two most popular rides — the Nitro and Superman-Ultimate Flight coasters, she said.

All of the park's 50 existing rides, except water rides, are scheduled to be on line Friday, Siebeneicher said. The water rides are to open with warmer temperatures, she said.

Hurricane Harbor, the water park at the site, is to open May 28.

Another new offering are "Safari Express" buses for rides from Great Adventure into the Wild Safari animal park. While the Wild Safari is normally included in theme park admission, the shuttle service will be extra — $9.99 per person or $5 for those with season passes.

Season pass-holders will have preferred parking near the main entrance, which they must enter this year, Siebeneicher said. Their former special parking area is being replaced by the theme park's Golden Kingdom section, Siebeneicher said.

"Every department has a focus on guest service this year," Siebeneicher said.

Adult daily passes to Great Adventure are $47.99, up $2.

Besides Kingda Ka, other new Great Adventure attractions, according to Siebeneicher, are to open a few weeks into the season:

Balin's Jungleland for children, expected in mid-April. It includes "Tigerland Treehouse," a 3-story-tall play structure with slides, cargo nets and bridges. It also will have five rides for younger children, or those under 4 1/2-feet-tall.

"This section replaces Bugs Bunny Land," said Siebeneicher, referring to the children's area that operated until last season. "This is a cutting edge, new addition for small children."

Temple of the Tiger, a 33,000-square-foot tiger-habitat where guests can watch trainers work with tigers and ask the trainers questions. Expected to open with Balin's Jungleland.

Spirit of the Tiger, a Broadway-type show with tigers and other animals, dancing and acrobatics at a new 1,000-seat amphitheater. Expected in late April.

Kingda Ka, Balin's Jungleland and the tiger exhibits are all part of the new, approximately 11-acre area, Golden Kingdom. Golden Kingdom should be fully operating when Kingda Ka opens.

"We are working seven days a week to open (Golden Kingdom) as soon as we can," Siebeneicher said.

"There is no doubt that Kingda Ka is the top stop for ultimate thrill-seekers from around the world," said Rick McCurley, general manager of the local Six Flags. "And our youngest guests experience the same level of thrill and adventure in the Golden Kingdom as they journey through Balin's Jungleland and Temple of the Tiger."

A variety of performers are to do concerts — Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes, Bowling for Soup, Raven, All American Rejects, Jesse McCartney, Gin Blossoms, Kool & the Gang, Newsboys and Trace Adkins.

Wollman plans on going to Great Adventure Sunday.

"I'm going to ride all the coasters," said Wollman, who figures he has rode more than 100 coasters. "I just came back from California (and rode coasters there). My sister thinks I went to visit her."

As for Kingda Ka, workers began installing the coaster's trains last week. The next big phase will be testing the ride with dummies, which probably will begin next week, Siebeneicher said.

Random Ranter

Postby kenshinmac » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:50 am

lol... This is one of the times I like living in CO...

Our season passes for Elitch Gardens and by extension the rest of the Six Flags chain are $49.99 currently. At least I think thats right...

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:13 am

It all sounds well and good in the Press Release, let's just hope they pull off all of this amazing guest service!

Elissa "does the safari bus go through the monkey are? that might be worth $5!" Alvey

The Resident Smart-Ass

Postby CoasterFanatic » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:38 am

I would gladly pay the extra money to avoid having the monkeys rip the antenna off my car.
Ted

White Castle fries only come in one size

Postby Bubba Z » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:07 am

^ That doesn't happen anymore, since they stuck the monkeys behind a new fence

Bubba " don't worry you're vinyl top is safe now" Z
monkey cage.JPG
how long are you in for , 5 years for vandalism

This is what happens when you find a stranger in the Alps!

Postby memphish » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:43 am

You beat me to it Robb. I guess I should get up before 11. :)

Uber Designer

Postby Real » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:48 pm

Actually, thats sad. I wish they wouldnt have done that with the monkeys. Ive heard some hilarious stories of people taking in junker cars and purposly going through the monkey area to see what they could do.

Ive never been through, but was looking forward to that...till now.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!