Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Pg. 560 - Skyrider, Togo Standup to close Sept 1st
Users viewing this topic: chickenbowl and 7 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Re: Canada's Wonderland Discussion Thread

Postby PCW_Nut » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:38 pm

stellaclose wrote:I don't think that anyone has posted this idea yet, but I think the real reason there is a tunnel is primarily due to safety concerns. As far as I'm aware, the layout of this coaster is unique in that the first drop goes outside the park boundary. It's the only coaster that I know of that the general public could get very close to the first drop (just a few metres away). It's not in an "out of bounds" area like most coasters first drops and layouts - there isn't really a backstage area.

By putting a tunnel at the first drop the chance of anyone throwing anything at the coaster as it comes down the drop, and thereby injuring any riders, is avoided. I could be wrong but its just my reasoning behind the late addition of a tunnel so close to opening - Perhaps the safety inspectors made them do it.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Agree 100%.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:57 pm

stellaclose wrote:I don't think that anyone has posted this idea yet, but I think the real reason there is a tunnel is primarily due to safety concerns. As far as I'm aware, the layout of this coaster is unique in that the first drop goes outside the park boundary. It's the only coaster that I know of that the general public could get very close to the first drop (just a few metres away). It's not in an "out of bounds" area like most coasters first drops and layouts - there isn't really a backstage area.

By putting a tunnel at the first drop the chance of anyone throwing anything at the coaster as it comes down the drop, and thereby injuring any riders, is avoided. I could be wrong but its just my reasoning behind the late addition of a tunnel so close to opening - Perhaps the safety inspectors made them do it.

Millennium Force's first drop is right next to railroad tracks and Perimeter Road, both of which are within throwing-distance of a train speeding by. They haven't built a tunnel around that yet, so it can't be that much of a concern. People could throw objects at moving coaster trains in almost any park around the world, to be honest.

Oh, and as far as this ride being unique, Goliath at SFOG spends a decent amount of time outside its park boundaries. This definitely isn't a first, and the tunnel for "safety reasons" is unprecedented (as far as being outside park boundaries is concerned) if that's really why it's being built.
Last Ride: Space Mountain: Mission 2 (DLP)
Next Ride: Intimidator 305 (KD)

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby coasters300+ » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:02 pm

Would it will be nice if tunnel with tinted window so riders can see the ground level?

The playground is where I spend most of my days

Postby UrbanLegend » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:20 pm

If they're going to put anything at the bottom of the drop, it better be this:
-Did you just say you have the right to be an attorney?
-Well, everyone has the right to be an attorney, if they want to.

https://soundcloud.com/jonurban

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Location: In a boat on a river, with tangerine trees and marmalade skies.

Postby Ed Farmer » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:35 pm

Great to hear. It works so well on Raging Bull, I always felt like the other B&M hypers were missing something by not having one.
"Next, we are going to solicit the children of strangers so that we can go on a ride designed for children. This is so I can post online and impress other people who are very good at procuring unfamiliar children in order to go on rides designed for children, and thus have a higher arbitrary number than me."

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:36 pm

The first drop is adjacent to the staff parking lot, pretty well back stage, so I think it would be ok regardless. Plus, security is right there. I can't recall how close the bus drop off is though, but I don't think it'll be right beside or near the drop. The tunnel I doubt is a late addition. The park did share with us that they were saving great information for closer to opening. They want to keep the attraction fresh and top of mind. There could be some more info over the next two weeks, you never know!

I can't believe there is only about a week left until preview night! Really looking forward to trying this out.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:56 pm

EDIT: Just read the Twitter thingie, they need to theme the tunnel to a space monster with a ribcage on the inside so riders can be pooped out into space.
Check out my portfolio on Carbonmade! January 29 - new update!
I wrote the book about NoLimits. Check it out on Amazon!
Like the Penn State Theme Park Engineering Group on Facebook!

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:42 pm

^I agree with this wholeheartedly and won't be happy until some park follows through.
Last Ride: Space Mountain: Mission 2 (DLP)
Next Ride: Intimidator 305 (KD)

GUACAMOLE IS MY FRIEND

Postby Fooz » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:18 pm

A.J. wrote:EDIT: Just read the Twitter thingie, they need to theme the tunnel to a space monster with a ribcage on the inside so riders can be pooped out into space.

Take the krake mouth, remove the teeth, and put it on the back end.

A village is missing its IDIOT!

Postby XYZ » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:04 pm

I think the tunnel is really nice and you could tell that it was planned since the track goes below ground. So, does this make the drop larger than MF's drop?
1:Lightning Run, 2:El Toro, 3:Xcelerator, 4:Voyage, 5:Gold Striker, 6:El Loco (Vegas), 7:Kingda Ka, 8:Montezooma, 9:Bizarro (GAdv), 10:Manta (SWSD)
What a season pass??

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!